Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the engine on my 150,000 mile 2010 Audi A5 2.0 quattro convertible cabriolet just failed and needs to be replaced. Before I replace it with a $3000 (60k miles) used motor and pay $2000 for installation, I am concerned it might not be worth it as the car may be headed for additional expensive repairs after 150,000 miles.

After this happened, we looked up people's experiences and found that engine trouble with this model is somewhat common. Are there any other major repairs or problems I can expect in the next few years?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Yeah as Sayek says perhaps time to offload this car mate. Cheaper to find a newer 3.0L car for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 (B8) Audi A5 2.0T Quattro 6-Speed with 117k. I concur that these have engine problems and am also thinking about next steps. Here is my repair list (under the hood/non-wear,etc. only) if it helps you get an idea, anecdotally at least:

58,000 miles: Oil Consumption Part 1 – MFG Warranty
65,081: Engine Manifold replaced (Engine light on)- CPO Warranty
65,081: Oil Consumption Part 2 -MFG Warranty
71,997: Injector 1 stuck open/replaced (EPC light on)- CPO/MFG Extended Warranty
73,783: Oil level at MIN after only 1,786 miles- MFG Warranty
74,662: Oil Consumption Part 1 Test- MFG Warranty
77,109: Oil Consumption Part 2 Maintenance: Replaced Pistons and Rings- MFG Warranty
77,109: Replaced Water Pump due to Coolant Leak- CPO Warranty
91,528: Misfire Cylinder 3 (EPC light on, could not reproduce issue)- MFG extended warranty
105,839: “Top End Reseal”- oil leak from engine cam girdle
105,839: Minor Oil Leak from Vacuum Pump (Not replaced)
Unkown mileage: Injector 4 replaced (EPC light on)- MFG Extended Warranty
Approx. 117,000: OEM Turbocharger leaking boost (Considering upgrade and tune?? but not sure it can handle it with all the engine problems)

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Blimey Puma that's quite a list!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blimey Puma that's quite a list!!!!
Haha, I know. Hopefully Love's proposed engine will have better luck. All my problems started at 60k which makes me scared for him. I'm pretty sure Audi timed all this statsitically to end with their standard warranty. Luckily I had the CPO 6-year warranty which protected me a bit more. And the US Government (NTSB) forcing Audi to increase the warranty to 120k, 10 yrs on the injectors. Love's motor lasted to 150k so maybe I just had bad luck and I hear some people's motors make it above 200k? I also hear the 2021 A5 is one of the top 10 most reliable vehicles??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.