Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if the 2008 S5s were like this: There's no forward/aft adjustment on the steering column, just up/down. As a result, I'm forever adjusting the seat to get in just the right position. I mean, I'm comfortable :D but, it would be much easier if the steering column telescoped. The manual talks about the column telescoping; but it doesn't. I wondered if it had something to do with the Drive Select option or if all the S5s were like that?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
FWIW, both the height and reach of the steering wheel can be adjusted on my 2008 A5.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 2009 S5 and it has a tilt and telescope function on the wheel. One of the first things that I messed with! :) I do NOT have drive select which seems to be the only difference in our cars.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Weird. My 08 S5 definitely has the telescopic, and Ive not heard of this being removed from the 09s. I cant imagine Drive select would mean you are forced to lost that feature.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting. I definitely do NOT have the telescoping feature. There is a single manual adjustment at the base of the steering column. When unlocked, you can move the column up/down manually; and that's it.

Starting to sound like this is related to the Drive Select feature I got. There is a very large difference in steering ratio when going from Comfort > Dynamic; with Comfort being fairly loose & Dynamic being VERY tight. Perhaps the mechanism doesn't allow for a telescoping adjustment? I'd be pretty surprised if I had the only S5 in the world with a funny steering column :eek:. But then again...maybe they built my car on a Friday & forgot. :D Just another difference with certain spec 09s vs 08s.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy crap. OK. With paranoia mounting, I did a bunch of push ups & headed out to confront the steering column for about the 10th time. I pullleeeddd HARD & nothing...yanked & nothing...then I YANKED & CRACK (steering column slides toward me about 5 inches.) For a second I thought I broke it. But no...it actually adjusts! Words cannot describe my shame! :eek: What would I do without you guys telling me to be a man and pull harder! :D Excuse me, I have doilies that need ironing.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
LOL! No worries... just glad you were able to get it figured out! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
This Furum changes lives... what if Ian had no one to ask.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What i would give to see that on video, "YANK :(, YANK :confused:, YANK-CRACK :mad:, FUCK :mad: ... Oh its working :D phew"
Rob LMAO - this really brought tears to my eyes - superb!!!! :D:D:D

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't think mine telescoped either until...

I read this thread and i have a 2010 with drive select. Just needed to pull harder on column.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S5 steering adjustment with ADS

Apparently, you need to have the engine running to adjust the in-out position of the steering wheel in an S5 with Audi Drive Select.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts