Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in getting one of these as I've always liked them but I am a bit weary of the cost of an engine replacement if something really goes wrong and I've heard they can and do sometimes completely pack it in so to speak.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the process of getting a new or second hand engine put in on one of these 4.2L V8's and what it cost all up?

I understand if its only a ballpark figure.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,

I am interested in getting one of these as I've always liked them but I am a bit weary of the cost of an engine replacement if something really goes wrong and I've heard they can and do sometimes completely pack it in so to speak.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the process of getting a new or second hand engine put in on one of these 4.2L V8's and what it cost all up?

I understand if its only a ballpark figure.

Thanks
Tough question to answer I'm afraid.
If you go with a new engine you're looking at maybe $15k-18k USD all-in at an independent shop. Used, you can probably cut that number in half, I would guess. As these cars get older, you start seeing more and more used engines pop up.
I had to replace the transmission on my 2009 S5 (manual gearbox) and those were impossible to find in the used market. Had to go through the dealership to source a new one - was shipped in from Germany. That costs around $8k USD (I did the labor so you're looking at maybe $12k-13k USD at a shop. I also don't know how common it is to have drivetrain problems with these cars. Mine has been fairly reliable over its 150k mile lifespan (I believe the transmission failure was due to neglect during previous ownership). The 4.2L engine is a different unit from the previous 4.2L V8s that had timing chain issues, in case you were concerned about that...

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're worried about engine failures stick to a lower mileage example that has a full service history, you shouldn't go to far wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts