Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the exclusive look of the A5/S5 is going away.... it was bound to happen... but so soon? :(

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
So the exclusive look of the A5/S5 is going away.... it was bound to happen... but so soon? :(
the car has been in the UK for about 6 months now i think. in the flesh it doesnt look half as imposing with much softer lines. for some reason it looks much narrower when it is only by a little bit.

the interior is virtually identical, well the dashboard anyway.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The R8 and the A5/S5 are still the only models in the range (and possibly in Audi history?) which doesn't have a straight line crease going down the side (they both have a dip to exaggerate the fender arches). Seems like a small detail, but goes far to define the car's shape, and a defining characteristic against the new A4 (other than the obvious stance difference).

-Ray

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just had a chat with my Audi guy, and verified that not only is the DRL strip not standard on the A4 (S-line only), they are also not LED. Instead there is about 3 small halogen bulbs with their light dispersed through a fiber optic channel to make the 'strip' shape, much like a BMW 'angel eye'. The effect is very different and not as eye-catching as the a5/s5/r8 LED array.

-Ray

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think the A4 looks bad, but it definitely lacks the aggressive stance of the A5/S5. I am currently in Hong Kong for my summer vacation, and have seen quite a bit of new A4's. All I can say is that, the A4 is not as eye-catching as the A5/S5. It just lacks the special touch, and the DRL's on the A4's look much different than the A5's/S5's.
So in my opinion, the A5/S5 is way better! :D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Just had a chat with my Audi guy, and verified that not only is the DRL strip not standard on the A4 (S-line only), they are also not LED. Instead there is about 3 small halogen bulbs with their light dispersed through a fiber optic channel to make the 'strip' shape, much like a BMW 'angel eye'. The effect is very different and not as eye-catching as the a5/s5/r8 LED array.

-Ray
#

In the UK, the A4's Standard daytime running lights are indeed 3 small halogen bulbs. However, there is the LED DRL option, which is very eyecatching.

There's loads of them on the roads here now... I assume they're not in the US yet?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
#

In the UK, the A4's Standard daytime running lights are indeed 3 small halogen bulbs. However, there is the LED DRL option, which is very eyecatching.

There's loads of them on the roads here now... I assume they're not in the US yet?
Nope, not that I've seen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quite a few new A4's in Dubai, but none of them seem to have the sparkle that the A5 seems to have. I havent seen an A5 on the road here yet though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have seen quite a few new A4s with the three bulb DRLs but just seen one with LEDs and they were not as bold or bright as the A5.

However, the A4 itself is not an attractive car. Its better than the old model but the problem is that whilst it has similarities to the A5, the extra size doesn't pull it off. If the A5 is Keira Knightly then the A4 is Keira Knightly weighing 15 stone.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
......whilst it has similarities to the A5, the extra size doesn't pull it off. If the A5 is Keira Knightly then the A4 is Keira Knightly weighing 15 stone.
LOL DD. The majority of new A4s I've seen seem distinctly 'under-wheeled' - it's a big body and it really needs 18s (at least) to balance proportions properly. Most I've seen have had standard 17s and it doesn't work. It also seems to be a car where colour choice is crucial - some of the colours exaggerate the bulk.

A/S5 seems to work in most colours and even the 18s fill the arches reasonably respectably!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
LOL DD. The majority of new A4s I've seen seem distinctly 'under-wheeled' - it's a big body and it really needs 18s (at least) to balance proportions properly. Most I've seen have had standard 17s and it doesn't work. It also seems to be a car where colour choice is crucial - some of the colours exaggerate the bulk.

A/S5 seems to work in most colours and even the 18s fill the arches reasonably respectably!
They also need spacers, badly!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
So who else thinks the A4s look too similar to the A5s?

Rear-end near almost mirrors the S5.

Front bumper looks pretty much spot on too, with variation(s) in the headlamp units.

Interior is pretty much identical.

I just wish there was more visual distinction between the coupé and sedan, other than the obvious extra 2 doors.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Rear-end near almost mirrors the S5.

Front bumper looks pretty much spot on too, with variation(s) in the headlamp units.

Interior is pretty much identical.

I just wish there was more visual distinction between the coupé and sedan, other than the obvious extra 2 doors.
Wouldn't go quite that far but agree it's too similar for my liking.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
alwin, fyi... merged your thread with an existing one on the same topic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
maybe someone can post a side by side picture comparison? They look very alike other than the DRL shape..

hope its okay to post a url. but here is a video i found of the new a4, with a reiger kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHTtDqTLNY&NR=1

looks ALOT like a5.. but with 4 doors.. tempting! =[ which should i get!!! im nearing my ordering time of September and i thought i already had alot of choices with the A5!, now this! a4 vs a5!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.