Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve just purchased a 2009 2.0 tdi coupe, just over 140k. Seems to be driving well, apart from the outside drivers door handle stopped working then miraculously started working 3 days later!! I’ve put a full tank of fuel through it, cost £73 to fill it approx 60 ltrs diesel, was expecting around 600miles out of it however I got 447 miles, which I’ve calculated at 34ish MPG, which, in my opinion, is pretty poor for the engine and the dash display is showing 44.8mpg average ??? Firstly am I correct in thinking 34 is poor for engine, second any idea what could be causing, I assume the computer measures fuel going into engine somewhere around the filter area so a leak somewhere could be possible?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, 35mpg for a 2ltr diesel combined driving sounds good!! Why the disparity from the On board computer reading?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh no, actually it doesn't sound great for a 2.0 tdi.
They are heavy cars though and town driving really brings down the mpg on them.
Also did you actually use 60 ltrs of fuel? I.e did you fill back up and get 60 ltrs in?
Is it quattro? Auto/manual? As that makes a difference too.
I'm sure some other 2.0tdi owners will be along soon with there opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh yeah forgot to say, it’s a manual 6 speed, and yes the tank was filled to the brim and ran back down and refilled with just over 60ltrs. The on board computer showed various mpg for the short journeys In and around 41-48mpg, but the average from the long term that was reset when filled showed 44.8mpg. But the maths and the bill for the fuel doesn’t lie!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yep, door handle is a known issue, fixed with some lubing.

A lot of people do expect high mpg from diesels, but the true high figures will be in the summer, no cold starts or using electronics and long distance steady cruising, and decent quality fuels.

My 3.0tdi averaged 26mpg on urban commutes. My old A4 1.9tdi averaged 38mpg and even got 72mpg when on holiday!

As Joe said there are quite a lot of variables! Last service, what sort of trips you do, the fuel, tyres all correctly inflated, MAF sensor issues, temp sensor issues.

The dash mpg in number 1 setting will be the average for that journey, flick through to number 2 settings and this is the overall average and will be a lot lower, this will be closer to your 34mpg!

What sort of journeys are you doing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I’m doing a commute about 15 miles in B roads. So I just realised that I thought I’d reset number 2 setting but what I didn’t realise you need to go through and reset each individual choice in the menu, time, avg mpg, mileage etc. I thought once you reset one the others reset also. I’ll keep an eye on it for this tank of fuel, and also I think the temp sensor may be an issue at the moment so I’ll get it looked at too.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah, pressing reset will only reset that measurement you currently have selected. You can reset through the MMI too.

15 miles on B roads isn't going to see 40+mpg, unless you get a good few miles at a steady speed and no stops.

On these cold mornings and sat in traffic as soon as I pull onto the main road shows 12mpg in my S5!! :D It will climb upto a lofty 21mpg on my B road 9 mile commute!

Is your engine over cooling, especially when moving or going down hill? The TDis do suffer from a broken EGR thermostat, which rarely diagnosed or fixed as most don't know it's there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it is over cooling, temp gauge is sitting under 90 most of the time. I’ll have to get it looked at and go from there.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah it is over cooling, temp gauge is sitting under 90 most of the time. I’ll have to get it looked at and go from there.
Yep and I'm 99% sure the mechanic will say the thermostat, as in main engine/rad stat. After you have paid for that and it's still over cooling, then the EGR thermostat will need replacing.
As far as I am aware, there isn't an issue with the temp sensors, unlike the older TDIs, that went from the green sensor to the black sensor, or the other way round :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts