Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I did several search on the forum but could not find out if anyone has their recommendation for 20" tire pressure. Anyone wearing a 275/30/20 willing to share their comments/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Al

·
Registered
948 Posts
Lol, didn't want to make another thread with the same question (and yes - I also searched and came up with a very limited number of answers). I believe the correct PSI is 40~ front and rear? Can someone advise?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I was running about 44 and noticed the center was wearing a little more so I backed it down to 40 for now. I would try 42 and check them in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hm, thanks for the input. I'm gonna try 42 front and 39 rear (stock is 39/36 so I thought I'd keep the same ratio...).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow that is very high. I dont know if that is the norm over there but here I am running the exact tyre spec 275/30/20 and I dont go anywhere over 32 PSI unless you want a bone jarring ride.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow that is very high. I dont know if that is the norm over there but here I am running the exact tyre spec 275/30/20 and I dont go anywhere over 32 PSI unless you want a bone jarring ride.
As noted above, the factory guidance is 39 PSI front/36 PSI rear when cold. This is for the stock 19" wheels on the S5. f you're running 32 PSI I trust that you are talking about 17" wheels on your A5, right? Cause with 19" or larger if you run that low you are highly likely to have damaged rims if you hit a pot hole in the road, and you'd also probably experience premature wear of your tires, especially along the outside edges.

To the OP: I think the suggestion of 42F/39R is probably about right.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
On UK A5's there is a sticker on the driver's door pillar. It tells you all the correct pressures for all wheel sizes and loads that Audi supplies. Or are you using after market alloys/tires?

·
Registered
714 Posts
On UK A5's there is a sticker on the driver's door pillar. It tells you all the correct pressures for all wheel sizes and loads that Audi supplies. Or are you using after market alloys/tires?
Yup, in the US, 20s are not an OEM option. Are your's 20s? What does your door pillar say for pressures?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yup, in the US, 20s are not an OEM option. Are your's 20s? What does your door pillar say for pressures?
The sticker is actually on the door, anyway it reads:

265/30 R20 94Y XL is as follows:

Two passengers (light luggage) Fronts 39 PSI, Rears 36 PSI

Four passengers (heavy luggage) Fronts 42 PSI, Rears 45 PSI.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The sticker is actually on the door, anyway it reads:

265/30 R20 94Y XL is as follows:

Two passengers (light luggage) Fronts 39 PSI, Rears 36 PSI

Four passengers (heavy luggage) Fronts 42 PSI, Rears 45 PSI.
Don't forget that pressures change slightly dependent on engine sizes, for instance, you need more pressure for the 3.0TDI due to the weight of the engine.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't forget that pressures change slightly dependent on engine sizes, for instance, you need more pressure for the 3.0TDI due to the weight of the engine.
Ahh, yes. And since his is a cab, a 2.0T coupe would probably need slightly less.

Maybe a silly question, but is the pounds in "PSI" the same everywhere?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts