Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi

I have just been offered a new 3.0Tdi Quattro A5 but it has 20 in 7 spoke wheels. I have driven with 18 in and 19in. The 19in produce a slightly harder ride but look better. The 20in look awesome - Any views on ride and comfort would be very helpful.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Back when I had my A5, I went from the 19" wheels to 20" wheels and couldn't really tell a difference in ride quality. The difference is negligible, IMO. The suspension on the A5 does a superb job of soaking up the bumps. Of course, if that 3.0 TDI has the Sport suspension (which I understand is offered in the UK), then perhaps the bumps might not be absorbed as well with the 20" wheels. I will say this, though... even with the H&R 25mm springs I had on my A5, I still found the ride to be very comfortable with 20" wheels.

BTW, I assume you meant "A5" and not "S5". :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
hi

I have just been offered a new 3.0Tdi Quattro S5 but it has 20 in 7 spoke wheels. I have driven with 18 in and 19in. The 19in produce a slightly harder ride but look better. The 20in look awesome - Any views on ride and comfort would be very helpful.

Cheers

RG
There is no doubt in my mind that the 20inch wheels look the best, but it is personal taste and opinion.

I have those 20inch 7 spoke wheels fitted as an option on the A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport. With sport suspension and the 20inch wheel combination, the ride is certainly stiff. Pershaps adding to the perception of ride stiffness, the seats are the Audi Sports seats which are a little more firm than standard seats. But, it is not uncomfortable for a sports suspension configuration. Compared to the soft suspension of a luxury saloon car, of course it will feel noticably rough. However, take a corner slightly quickly and that luxury saloon soon wafts all over the place whereas the A5 takes it like she is on rails. Not even a hint of roll.

Audi recognises that the ride with 20inch wheels is not going to be soft since it does not allow Drive Select with 20inch wheels. I suspect that the setting for "soft" would have no impact hence the 20inch wheels are not compatible with Drive Select.

Hate to say it in this day and age of political correctly, but ride quality also depends on your physical characteristics, and a soft podgy back side will be less sensitive to road vibration from stiff suspension compared to a boney back side.

Best to try and test drive a similar car as your intended vehicle, or ask a local friendly A5 owner for a lift and guage the result yourself? Try to introduce yourself first or the driver may assume you are trying to jack his car and react accordingly!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have these wheels on my S5. Initially I was worried about ride quality and road noise being an issue but I must admit that I do not find the ride quality to be effected too much . The ride is slightly firm but I find very little road noise from the Michelin Pilots. All in all I would say go for it , the look of the wheels did it for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had 20" wheels on the test drive I had recently and did notice some more road noise but this was far outweighed by the wow factor of these wheels!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back when I had my A5, I went from the 19" wheels to 20" wheels and couldn't really tell a difference in ride quality. The difference is negligible, IMO. The suspension on the A5 does a superb job of soaking up the bumps. Of course, if that 3.0 TDI has the Sport suspension (which I understand is offered in the UK), then perhaps the bumps might not be absorbed as well with the 20" wheels. I will say this, though... even with the H&R 25mm springs I had on my A5, I still found the ride to be very comfortable with 20" wheels.

BTW, I assume you meant "A5" and not "S5". :)
Yes A5 I dont think they do an S5 Diseasel. My dilemna is A5 3.0Tdi Q Sport or S5 . Is S5 really worth £5000 ($9500) more when car tax is more, Insurance is more, economy is less BUT That V8 noise makes up for it. (There's always a used 911 Carrera S to think about!):confused:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes A5 I dont think they do an S5 Diseasel. My dilemna is A5 3.0Tdi Q Sport or S5 . Is S5 really worth £5000 ($9500) more when car tax is more, Insurance is more, economy is less BUT That V8 noise makes up for it. (There's always a used 911 Carrera S to think about!):confused:
RGB - I had same dilemma as yourself , 3.0TDi or S5 . For the extra money I've never looked back after getting the S5 . I also did the maths , I worked out that due to the price difference between petrol and diesel the S5 was going to cost me an extra £300 a year in fuel , the diesel price offsets the lower fuel consumption on the S5 . Also I've now done 600 miles on the S5, I'm averaging 27.6 mpg from the tiptronic which has better mpg that the manual . This is better than my 3.0 TDI Q7 was !!!!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RGB - I had same dilemma as yourself , 3.0TDi or S5 . For the extra money I've never looked back after getting the S5 . I also did the maths , I worked out that due to the price difference between petrol and diesel the S5 was going to cost me an extra £300 a year in fuel , the diesel price offsets the lower fuel consumption on the S5 . Also I've now done 600 miles on the S5, I'm averaging 27.6 mpg from the tiptronic which has better mpg that the manual . This is better than my 3.0 TDI Q7 was !!!!

Thanks Stitcher. I really want a manual and the extra fuel cost in my case will be circa £750 a year. I do love the S5. A mate has the Tiptronic and loves it BTW but thats after a 3 series 330 Cab so only to be expected really!!:):)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went for the 19 Y spokes and 3.0TdiQ Sport

Well, tried them all, wheels and motors and the best value for me seemed to be the A5 3.0Tdi Quattro Sport withs bits as below. It arrives from Emden Monday/Tuesday hopefully with me next weekend??

19in won the day, partly as the 'stock' cars with 20in wheels were either low spec or Xmas trees.

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
298 Posts
My opinion for what its worth........I test drove with the 20" wheels and the first thing to say is wow....the wow factor is a major thing

2nd the ride quality was fine. A bit of road noise but not too noticible...I would not be concerned.

I ended up going for the 19" without actually teat driving a car with 19"s and I will be more than happy if the ride quality was as per the 20"s. I currently drive an MGZT+ (dont laugh!!!:p) and the ride on the 18" is very harsh / hard. The only reason I went for the 19"s was cost of the wheels and also the replacement cost of tyres. At well over £250 a corner for the 20"s that was enough to put me off them but the do look sooooooo good!!!:cool:

So 19"s for me. I should be taking delivery in around 3 weeks from now and cant wait:D Will post a review of ride quality after a few miles are on the clock.

Glenn

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My opinion for what its worth........I test drove with the 20" wheels and the first thing to say is wow....the wow factor is a major thing

Totally agree!

2nd the ride quality was fine. A bit of road noise but not too noticible...I would not be concerned.

I currently drive an MGZT+ (dont laugh!!!:p) Rather more 'exclusive' than Black A5's these days!:D
I've got a 36yr old MG too.

The only reason I went for the 19"s was cost of the wheels and also the replacement cost of tyres. At well over £250 a corner for the 20"s that was enough to put me off them

Don't hold your breath re the cost of 19in. tyres. I priced up 20in and 19in at Protyre last week before ordering and 255/35 19 Contis were about 220 each! 20in (can't remember make were about £240

So 19"s for me. I should be taking delivery in around 3 weeks from now and cant wait:D

Good luck Glen , mine should be here in a week or so:D:D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.