Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Picked up my 6 week old ex-demonstrator 2.7TDI Sport yesterday and a 100 mile motorway drive from the dealer returned a disappointing 34 mpg.

Whilst I certainly wasn't pushing it (although its so smooth and quiet its hard to keep under 80) I gave it the odd burst of speed I would have expected more of a car supposed to do 42 combined.

Anyone any knowledge of running in these engines? Do they settle in and improve over the first few thousand miles? Car has 2000 on clock.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
No idea, but a few of the folks here have 2.7 TDi on order so we're sure keen to find out.

Interestingly my wife's MPV (2.0 136 bhp, 4-pot diesel) only just manages 34 mpg on the motorway and my 2.2 Honda diesel only scrapes a little more (around 38 - but it's not got a trip-computer) so your results don't sound too bad.

Sure, it's bound to loosen up a little with more miles but in my experience "Real World" figures are never anywhere near claimed mpg.

·
Registered
157 Posts
welcome to the site! I have found that my 3 litre tdi is affected by the way i drive (obviously) but what i did not realize until i monitored it is that it is often better for fuel economy to be in a lower gear (say 4th at 30mph) than always in the highest gear that the engine will comfortably allow. For example at 40mph you can use 4th 5th or 6th but the instant readout often seems to show better economy in a lower gear.
Cruising at [national speed limit, officer] it is easy to get 40mpg or more in 6th unless it is very hilly. When you say that a 100 mile journey shows only 34 that does sound wrong to me, but how did you calculate that? did you brim the tank, measure the mileage and brim it again (to get the actual amount of fuel used)? I am averaging over 35mpg urban and motorway driving. The car does not have many miles on the clock so the engine might still be a little tight.
To give it a proper test try a longer journey and do a brim to brim test and do it over say 300 miles or more.
Audi just sent out a new engine map to the dealers, which was loaded on mine the other day- the engine seems to run much better at higher revs now so you might ask if they have a new engine managment map for the 2.7

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fraser; some good points although (if I'm going to be pedantic) on a brim-to-brim test you should always try and revisit the same pump at the same fuel station, and try and do it at the same time of day with the same ambient temperature as fuel is metered on volume ;-)

Rambo; as Fraser points out it might be worth trying to reset the trip computer once you're up to motorway speeds - the start and end of a journey could be enough to pull-down your overall mpg figure. However I'll be quite happy with anything over 34 mpg when I get my 2.7 TDi - especially considering the benefits of the auto-box (and yes, I know the CVT is less 'lossy' than a traditional slush-box).

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
OK I dont have a TDI but in the S5 the economy fluctuates a lot and what I did notice is that on long motorway trips if I didn't have to slow down and speed up on a regular basis because (london to scotland e.g M6) of other traffic the economy would be at least 5mpg better than say when i'm driving on the M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh where more often than not I have to slow down for some stupid lorry pulling out to go past a lorry moving 1mph slower than him then speed back up.

Also what fraser mentioned about the lower gears tends to be the case as if you watch the current mpg read out on the car and accelerate in 6th and in 4th you will see in both cases the mpg drops down to about the same level - only difference is, if your in 4th you will get to your target speed quicker than in 6th and thus have your foot down on the pedal less.

So as you already know it all depends on the drive, also if you were slowing down and speeding up regularly this would perhaps be the reason for the mpg your getting - well thats my theory anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Only going off the trip computer at present which I know could be wrong but past experience has showed me that these things usually over read.

Have just got back from another trip out today with more mixed driving and still showing low to mid 30's. Will brim the car tomorrow and later in the week should have a better idea of actual fuel economy and will let you know.

P.S. Anyone waiting for delivery of the 2.7TDI will not be disappointed!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
glad to hear that you are happy with it, but the fuel consumption seems a little low. However when you first get the car you are bound to use the right foot a little more than you might later. Do try the shell vpower fuel and see if you think it gives you more power.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm two weeks in now and still loving the car but going from brim to brim with 2 tanks I'm getting 33.5 mpg over 900 miles (computer read 34.5 so its fairly accurate). In amongst this I've done 2 x 100 mile trips + 1 x 200 mile trip and 1 x 170 mile trip. I've not been hammering it and along the way the best I managed was 42.5 on a 30 milemotorway trip where most was done at 50mh in road works.

I know you never get the claimed figures but I can't even manage the combined figure on a 50 mph steady run :confused:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of 2.7 people on the forum but it would be nice to know what others are getting. After fill-up yesterday the computer reckoned it would do 475 miles - again what are others seeing when they fill up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine estimates about 550 miles range, and i agree that 33 seems low. I only see as little as that with a mix of town driving and heavy use of right foot. there was another thread on this topic also with a 2.7 tdi; perhaps its the auto box?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've not been hammering
Ah ... so you were the A5 I saw on the M62 the other day doing 56mph in the inside lane.

Joke ... and having posted this I've just realised that I've NEVER seen an A5 on the motorway that wasn't in the 2nd overtaking (i.e. outside) lane - god's honest truth!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just my 2 bits worth.,....

I get over 45mpg on a short motorway run at around 60.....I reckon I could touch the 50 and a decent motorway run at a snail pace of 50 or on a dual carriage way at 45...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Having got mine on Friday, here's my initial opinion (it's nowhere near run in yet, with 200 miles on the clock at the time of writing). However, on a 25 mile journey to work, I managed 42.1mpg in reasonable traffic. A mix of motorway, fast flowing "A" road, tractor infested "A" road and suburban driving.

The rough routing is listed below for anyone with local knowledge who might benefit from knowing the roads driven.

J8 M62 Eastbound > J10 M62/J21A M6 Southbound > Exit J20 M6 > A50 Southbound > Knutsford > A537 > Monks Heath Crossroads > A34 > Alderley Edge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi 8wilsop, sounds good mileage to me...and also a great destination! My first job after Uni was in Alderley Edge. I worked there for two years and LOVED it. Especially Wienholts!!! Also, the drive over to Knutsford can be a fun drive.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Ronnie.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I worked there for two years and LOVED it. Especially Wienholts!!!
Ah Wienholts pies ... An institution in our office :D

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starting to think there's something wrong with mine if you can get 42.1 on that kind of run. Would be really interested in some feedback when you've filled it up a few times and are getting a feel for how many miles you get out of a tank - I gonna get about 400 out of this tank (30 miles left on fill up) with mainly town driving:(

May need a trip to the dealer but you just look such a tight ar** complaining about fuel economy on a car you just don't buy for its fuel economy!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ah Wienholts pies ... An institution in our office :D

Cheers,
Paul.
Starting to think there's something wrong with mine if you can get 42.1 on that kind of run. Would be really interested in some feedback when you've filled it up a few times and are getting a feel for how many miles you get out of a tank - I gonna get about 400 out of this tank (30 miles left on fill up) with mainly town driving:(

May need a trip to the dealer but you just look such a tight ar** complaining about fuel economy on a car you just don't buy for its fuel economy!!
I think it is reasonable that you ask questions! But it is unfortunately too easy for the dealer to put it down to your own driving style, roads etc.

It does seem that from the people who have commented on fuel consumption on this site, the 3.0TDI seems to do better than the 2.7. Whether this is down to the Multitronic, or other factors, I'm not sure, but certainly from the comments here, the 3.0 seems to do better.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What revs are th gear changes happening in ?

When I try to drive economically are rarely need to take it above 2,000revs except possibly out of junctions or off lights.

Infact upchanges happen at just over 1,500 revs and I cruise at about 1,100 revs..... ooooh the flexibility of these engnes... :)

·
Registered
84 Posts

No probs, I'll update this thread again in a few weeks, once I've done a few more tank-fulls.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No probs, I'll update this thread again in a few weeks, once I've done a few more tank-fulls.
Thanks.

Andy T - Its a cvt so doesn't really change gears but its gurgling away between 1000 and 2000 revs most of the time - apart from tonight when I took it for a bit of a razz down the local country roads - ironically fuel economy didn't drop that much!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts