Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am due to place my order tomorrow for the 2.7 sport A5 but am now considering buying the 3.0 quattro for the extra power and torque.

I am slightly doubting the 2 wheel drive of the 2.7 but have heard nothing but good things about the 2.7 auto box but stillunsure if I would regret buying the 3.0.

Has anyone had time to compare the 2 cars and have any advice which may help. Is the 3.0 much quicker in real life driving?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

JJ

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't compare the two but own the 2.7 and love it.

Never owned an auto before and its just sooooo smooth. Can't praise it highly enough and if you want some fun just stick it in semi auto mode or sport mode.

There is a lot of torque for the FWD system to handle and if you nail it from a standing start and try to steer with the foot down you can feel the fight going on underneath you. Having said that you don't get the axle bounce that was evident on my previous Golf GTI and A4 Cabs (both 1.8T). I can only assume this is down to the smooth power transfer the auto box gives you.

IMHO stick with the 2.7 and enjoy some of the extra creature comforts you can afford with the saving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rambo, great reply.

The money isn't really the issue, I don't really load any car I buy but love the power. I can't buy the quattro in auto and would prefer an auto over the manual box.

I have heard that the 3.0 is better on fuel than the 2.7 and I cant help but think ill be kicking myself when I have to pull over to let the daddy 3.0 pass me on the motorway one day.

Decisions, decisions...........

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have started a post on the 2.7 fuel economy - have a read. I'm starting to think I'm just expetcing too much and got lulled into the expectation by a trip computer on the A4 Cab that was over optimistic!!

One thing not to worry about it a 3.0 passing you - I've only seen 4 since I took delivery 6 weeks ago - they truly are like rocking horse sh*t!!

I'm sure you'll get some good replies from the 3.0 guys and gals praising their machines - truth is most A5 drivers seem to be happy bunnies whatever the model.

·
Registered
112 Posts
First up... I have a 3.0 TDI, but did test drive a 2.7 as well.

I went for the 3.0 TDI because of 4WD - it just doesn't know when to stop gripping, whatever corner, road or weather you throw at it. I went to Brands Hatch last weekend, and while FWD Audis, RWD BMWs had to be pushed out of the somewhat muddy car park, I cruised out as if on tarmac.

Rambo's post discusses the fuel economy, and if anything it would seem the 3.0 wins out. I reguarly get over 40MPG on a varied drive to work, and struggle to get it below 30MPG, however hard it's driven. More torque = better economy.

If money's no object, then go with the 3.0. Given the wait times for manufacture / delivery, you'll probably be able to spec it with the auto box - a recently announced addition.

Cheers,

T

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm the same as timbotdi, I went for the 3.0TDI because of the quattro. I can honestly say I hope I never have to go back to a FWD car (With respect to the 2.7TDI owners).

I do most of my driving on motorways, and I average 42mpg on a reasonably fast run. Calm the speed down to a constant 60mph all the way and you're looking at 50mpg+

I just think the combination of the 3.0TDI and Quattro is awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test drove both cars and they were both a great drive but opted fot the 2.7 because of the auto. Thought I would go for the 3.0 because I used to drive a boxster and thought the the performance would be more comparable. But as we've got a 2.7 Allroad with tiptronic and I've got used to the auto box I was drawn to the 2.7. Don't worry the auto box is far better than the Allroad.

Of course it could be I'm just getting old and turning into my Dad, who's driven auto's for years !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Although I didn't test drive the 2.7, I did test drive the 1.8 TFSI Auto and the 3.0 TDI 6-Speed. I drove the 1.8 first and didn't like the FWD all that much, besides the 1.8 just lacked that bit of torque. When you overtake you get nothing for a second and then the turbo kicks in and next thing you know you're torque steered into the car your overtaking ;-) OK, I'm exaggerating things a bit but I'm not used to FWD so it annoyed me. If you are used to it then it's not a problem.

Then I tried the 3.0 and was so impressed with the AWD that I just had to go for it. Loved the 6-Speed as well. Having driven autos for years it's nice to drop back to a nice manual gear box for a change so it wasn't an issue for me.

So I can't really give you anything to go on other than I prefer the AWD over the FWD and that the 1.8T doesn't have the same torque as a 3.0 TDI which is no real surprise ;-)

Oh, wait as someone just mentioned already.. when I did go to order my 3.0 they offered me a choice of manual or tiptronic. So I guess you can order one of these now... then you've got a 3.0 TDI with Auto, problem solved!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
+1 for the 3.0 TDi.

How many other 4wd coupe's do you know of...? Awesome economy/torque/performance/grip! Doesn't even sound much like a diesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.