Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not had my 2008 2.7 long, and took it for its first long run over the weekend, 2.5 hours on motorways, sitting around 80mph. Managed 39 mpg. I'm guessing 80 isn't exactly the most economical speed, should I expect more?
I should have dared myself to sit at 60 on the return leg to see what fuel economy I got, but on such a long journey you just want to get home!

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to go tank to tank full of course and press the trip. A good service and oil changes plus tyre check is always a good start, and then perhaps a cruise control helps. The cruise CAN be retro fitted but needs VAG COM or similar to work correctly, I fitted one to a Tiguan recently.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My 3.0tdi will do about 43mpg at 80mph. If I drop to about 70mph, it will go up to about 46-47mpg.

Even though the 2.7 is obviously a smaller capacity than the 3.0, the gains in fuel economy aren't much more! And the 3.0 has the 4wd system drag to hit the mpg figures.

Is yours a Quattro?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine's not a quattro, does have cruise, which I used on and off. Next time I'm on a longer journey I'll definitely try and stick to 70, see what difference it makes.

What I did find helpful was the speed limit warning, with a speedo that reads to 180 its far too easy to start going crazy speeds without realising!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe EGR on the way out? Not causing engine light to come on but just enough to give you worse MPG. Map it out mate :)

·
Sponsor
2,374 Posts
Maybe EGR on the way out? Not causing engine light to come on but just enough to give you worse MPG. Map it out mate :)
What's going on? This MPG is completely normal and healthy! Leave your emissions controls alone!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got A5 3.0 tdi Quattro and Q7 3.0 tdi Quattro. The Q is remapped and I am getting same MPG as my A5 in manual. In mine EGR is on the way out ..... its worth checking . A5 is getting around 22 mpg on my way to work most of it motorway

·
Sponsor
2,374 Posts
Guys he was doing 80 and nearly got 40mpg. This is completely normal and healthy for that engine. Why are we worrying about EGRs and other stuff??
The 3.0 TDI does do slightly better at 80, but that's just the nature of the beast. 39mpg in the 2.7 on a 80mph motorway blast is 100% reasonable and not remotely concerning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've not had my 2008 2.7 long, and took it for its first long run over the weekend, 2.5 hours on motorways, sitting around 80mph. Managed 39 mpg. I'm guessing 80 isn't exactly the most economical speed, should I expect more?
I should have dared myself to sit at 60 on the return leg to see what fuel economy I got, but on such a long journey you just want to get home!

Hi I know it's been a while since you put up your review about your car my fuel is so bad in town and my car is the 2.7 diesel aswell is there any cure the motorway is amazing

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hi I know it's been a while since you put up your review about your car my fuel is so bad in town and my car is the 2.7 diesel aswell is there any cure the motorway is amazing
The cure is simple, buy a smaller capacity engine! A 2.7 is fairly big engine, and a six cylinder, yes it will cruise and return good mpg, but around town, it will drink! The only way to get better mpg figures is to have a smaller engine, hence 'city' cars usually won't have an engine bigger than 1200cc!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cure is simple, buy a smaller capacity engine! A 2.7 is fairly big engine, and a six cylinder, yes it will cruise and return good mpg, but around town, it will drink! The only way to get better mpg figures is to have a smaller engine, hence 'city' cars usually won't have an engine bigger than 1200cc!
Hi thanks for the reply my rs6 returns
Thanks for the reply my rs6 gets more to the gallon in town doesn't add up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts