Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's starting to cool down here and the transmission has been behaving weird until it warms up. The last couple weeks after driving for 2 mins it was upshifting to 7th when only doing 60k's (40mph) up a slight incline meaning the revs dropped to just over 1k.

Today dropped it into 7th at 50kph (30mph) after only 30secs of driving, when it should be keeping it higher to let the car warm up right?

Any ideas why this is happening? Only recently had trans service and ECU reset.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You might also want to check your fluid level. The fluid expands quite a bit when warm, so when it's cold and you're low, the transmission acts funny.

Buy fred44nl's advice is the best. Check for erros with VCDS first.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
News please

·
Registered
558 Posts
Please let us know in a few weeks if the symptoms come back. I've used that reset method many times before, but the transmission always revert back to whatever problems it had after a week or so.

I've read somewhere that procedure resets the throttle body adaptation only, but some believe it resets the transmission. I've read several training manual/self-study guide for the DSG transmission cover to cover many times, and this procedure is never mentioned anywhere. Which would be weird since this is so much easier and faster than the official method of connecting to a factory scan tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday i went to Audi dealer and no errors found.

Today it happened again, its cold here, i started the car and drove maybe one min with light on gas, keeping 50km/h speed, then it was upshifting to 7th gear at 51km/h with 1k rmp then i gave more gas, it dropped to 6th then 5th. Only when is cold and on cold start.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can only do so much with these transmissions:

1. make sure fluid level is correct
2. reset adaptation
3. replace mechatronics/valve body

Other than that, you'll need a new transmission. I don't believe anyone rebuilds these... at least here in the U.S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i read somewhere on the net that "When you are in D mode, the transmission will upshift early if you are light on the throttle. I am guessing it is sensing a non-sporty driving style so it is acting to maximize fuel economy. "

ill try to reset adaptation and see whats happens, had a oil and filter change like 6000 miles ago

also, can bad battery affects on s tronic? few times i got msg that my battery is low

1 - 12 of 12 Posts