Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 A5 Sportback Quattro 2.0 TFSI Black Edition Plus
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2015 Sportback 2.0 TFSI Quattro Black Edition. I'm the 3rd owner, bought it in April 2019 at 38K miles. It had full main dealer history and I've maintained that at my local centre (Maidstone, Kent). At my last service around 50K it needed a waterpump, fortunately covered under warranty. Following an EPC warning light at 55K miles, I'm now facing a turbo replacement. I can't believe this is normal or acceptable, has anybody else suffered such premature failures? Sounds like a 'Watchdog' notification coming on.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Blimey Tony, that is a young car to suffer such failures indeed. My old A5 ran up to 200k kms with very very few problems, nothing dramatic at all despite being treated really badly until I bought her. More comments guys??

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's possible you got the Gen3 engine. I guess VW want to save money testing before launch, and just let their customers be the test subjects. VW/Audi takes about 4 to 5 years to work out all the problems of a new engine. It happens every time.

It's always possible the dealer charged for the service but didn't do anything or did it wrong. Dealers are really the worst choice for maintenance. They are really not incentivized to do a good job while the car is under warranty. They make the bulk of their profit doing repairs on cars out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The 2.0 TFSi has a long history of problems, going back some years too.

Waterpumps appear to be an Audi thing! My 3.0T S5 had the pump done under warranty at around 20k miles.

What's wrong with the turbo? Dealers, as well as not being trust worthy like to replace the whole part rather than diagnose a fix.

My mate has a VW transporter which had a new engine. He had a little fire and the turbo stopped working. I found the heat shield caught fire and burnt through the vacuum pipe to the turbo. Removed the burnt heat shield and spent £7 on new vac pipe, all back to normal. A garage wanted £500 for a new turbo!

·
Registered
2015 A5 Sportback Quattro 2.0 TFSI Black Edition Plus
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, the turbo was causing an EPC light on the dash which was diagnosed by Audi as being a charge pressure fault with excess play on the armature for the inlet/wastegate. I took it to AmD in Thurrock for a second opinion and they confirmed the same. I could have just replaced the actuator at a cost of circa £400 but may not have resolved the issue but a new turbo comes with an actuator fitted so I'm going that route (not with Audi!). It's in today, update to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts