Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

661 - 680 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Can I still drive the car with the warning light on?
no, you have to add some oil.
but don't do this all alone, just by yourself.
go to them and let them witness the addition of some oil.
otherwise, you might fail the test, because they might not believe you, when you tell them, that you have added some oil.
I'm sure there is a receptionist, who will assist you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Fred, I will probably leave the car to them tommorrow and wait till they call me on Thursday or Friday for the update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alan Day VW dealer called me today. The technician said I did not drive the 600 miles they ask me to even though the add 1 litre light came on. He said I could have driven further even with the lights on and that it is safe to do so. They wanted me to take the car has they have topped up the oil and drive for anither 600 miles. I was not happy with the procedure and called Audi UK and told them I am not comfortable driving the car when it is consuming oil with the rate if 1 litre per 240 miles of driving. Just want to know if you guys has come accross something like this before. Also should I go to a different Audi dealer, maybe Victoria London? Any suggestion pls...

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
He said I could have driven further even with the lights on and that it is safe to do so.
when the oil-level becomes low, the light will come on.
but there could also be a warning in DIS.
something like: you have to add oil, but you can continue to drive, or words to that effect. I'm not sure here.

but simply saying, that you can safely drive a car with an oil warning light, does not feel right.

edit:
there is something about this in the manual:
Engine oil level (without dipstick)
Add oil, max. 1L. You may continue driving.
If the symbol does not go out, please contact a qualified workshop and have the fault rectified.
If the symbol lights up in conjunction with this driver message, add not more than 1 litre of oil at the next opportunity
⇒ page 259.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The garage or service manager wanted me to complete the 600 miles drive to be able to complete the test and so he can submit findings to Audi. I did no feel it was safe as the oil warning light came on after 240 miles of driving the car, but then again I don't undrestand why he topped up the oil and ask me to drive another 600 miles or when the add 1 litre light comes up again. It just don't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
It just don't make any sense to me.
I don't understand it either.
the official instruction is that you have to do 600 miles.
but I don't know what the official standpoint is when you cannot make that distance.
I would call Audi UK, and find out.
because, you are going to need 3 liters of oil, in order to make 600 miles.
as the oil capacity is about 4,5 ltr, you would be driving around with only 1,5 ltr. in the engine.
doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have called Audi UK and who were very helpful and understanding. They gave me a case ref and a case advisor who will give me a call today for an update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Audi UK contacted me and said that Alan Day VW were not sure if the oil gauge sensor was working properly when I brought back the car to them, that is why they wanted to do the test the second time. I asked Audi if they have done the correct procedure and the lady I was speaking to said they did, so just have to wait for the oil light to come on again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok an update, light came on this morning 29th November 2018 after driving 176 miles. I have called Alan Day WV City and the earliest they can see the car is on 17th December 2018 which is over 2 weeks time. Without any advice or whatsoever from the service department. Surely this will fry my engine if I continue driving within 2 weeks. Pls any advice of how to handle this situation.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Ok an update, light came on this morning 29th November 2018 after driving 176 miles. I have called Alan Day WV City and the earliest they can see the car is on 17th December 2018 which is over 2 weeks time. Without any advice or whatsoever from the service department. Surely this will fry my engine if I continue driving within 2 weeks. Pls any advice of how to handle this situation.
I would call Audi UK again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Folks,
I'm also one the guy who is having trouble with oil consumption.
It was burning around 1 Lt per 300 km. I tried ticker oils and many different things. There was no solution :(
There was a lot of smoke at fast acceleration.

I finally decided to go to local private garage. The piston rings and many many related parts changed. It took a week long. (If you need i can share the part list)

Now it is 1.100 km since i left garage and there is no change at oil gauge !! :) Finally it's solved.

All i paid for service and parts is around 1.800 Usd

I'm around for yr quesitons

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
How long for the diagnostic after oil consumption test?
that depends on the dealer.
could be done within one day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alan Day VW just called and they assumed its a turbo problem and they would like to charge me if they investigate further.

They said Audi UK would not pay for that service. Anybody came accross this situation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Worst experience ever at Alan Day VW The Highway never coming back there again. After 2 oil consumtion test, no findings complete waste of time. I am taking my car to the dealer I bought it from before my 3 months warranty runs out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And by the way, I think to investigate if turbo is consuming oil is to unclip inlet hose from throttle body and check if there is oil in the tb which is not really a hard job to do. That I will check by myself tommorrow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So my 2010 with 69000 k's (noticed usage at early 50's) failed the consumption test with flying colors. I am going through 1L per 480k's. It has mostly Audi service history and I provided copies of invoices for the few that aren't stating the correct grade of oil was used. They have offered 90% which from my research is as good as it's going to get. I asked if they would at least credit the cost of the test to which the service manager replied 'No, that’s the whole point of the test'.

They also say I need to prepay the next service which happens to be a major (minus the timing chain & tensioner which they suggested I replace during the repair) and have quoted $1000. I can swallow all of this but they also want me to sign an agreement that says in the event that additional damage is discovered during the tear down of the engine I agree to pay additional costs which is absolutely not ok. If I sign that they can turn around and say I need a new engine after all and I'm up for the rest of the cost which is probably another $5000. I asked if the agreement could be amended to something like 'if additional damage is discovered the contribution from Audi will be re-assessed' ,not flat-out I have to pay for it, to which the service manager replied:

It is likely they would / we would, should something be consequential of the original issue, however this is on a case by case basis and I can’t advise yes or no.

Unfortunately we are unable to amend the disclaimer, this is to release our liability once the engine is stripped, as unfortunately cylinder bores can’t be checked until the engine is fully removed.

Did anyone else have to sign something like this? Do I just sign and fingers crossed? I really don't wan't to go down the legal path but absolutely will if I have to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My 2011 A5 2.0T was eating 1 Litre of oil every 150 Kilometers (had to buy 1L of oil every every 2 days). Plumes of smoke would come out of the exhaust after about half an hour of driving (I guess the cat was burning off the oil).
Odometer was 95000km
Brought the car back to the Audi Dealer where I bought it from 3 years ago (2nd hand) and it went through the usual tests, and failed miserably.

They ended up replacing the pistons, piston rings, engine block (cylinders were scored too much), and some other parts. They said the total repair was around $16000 but Audi Australia said they will cover most of the cost, I ended up paying around $4000.

Its been fine since then. The oil light hasn't come on for 8 months..

661 - 680 of 701 Posts