Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 58 plate A5 2.0 TFSI that has covered just over 75,000 miles, it suffered from the oil consumption issue and had a stage 2 fix last year, with a 100% contribution from Audi, at Teesside Audi.

This was done late last summer, but the car was sat in a body shop for 2 months in Autumn, so only had a few months of use since the work was done. A few weeks ago, the car struggled to start, and was running rough, when diagnosed by an independent, was found to be a slipped timing chain, so I took it to Teesside Audi, who diagnosed it as the same, they inspected it internally, and confirmed they found no damage to valves etc, and said the fact that it could still turn over and run was a good sign.

I suggested when it was booked in that I think it may be related, as when I searched around, there are a lot of reports for this engine saying that the timing chain slipped due to a failed tensioner a few months after having the oil consumption issue fixed, more than to make it a coincidence. The guy who booked it in didn't even contemplate it, and was actually a bit rude. It was the same guy who dealt with the issue originally, and seemed the same back then as well.

Anyway, they said it was the timing tensioner that failed and needed replacing, £670, after it had been replaced, they said it was losing compression on cylinder 1, and would be another £800 just to let me know what was causing the issue. I asked why this wasn't detected when inspecting the engine originally, and was passed off with some excuse.

I have read dozens of reports from across the vw/audi/skoda family that share this engine of the tensioner failing shortly after replacement of the pistons, piston rings, engine rebuild etc. for the oil consumption issue.

I have now contacted Audi directly, who said they will speak to the dealer, but not heard anything back yet. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, what was the outcome? I feel begrudged paying potentially thousands to fix an engine that has been serviced at Audi dealers except once, but that was at an independent using Audi parts, and that had an engine rebuild by Audi less than 6 months ago AND only done 75,000 miles!

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Shaun

I've just had a similar issue. My engine failed 4 weeks after the pistons and conrods failed (apparently it wasn't the timing though) and the engine is broken beyond repair. They've told me a valve has broken and somehow managed to wreck the engine.

The dealer have said it's unrelated and Audi UK have initially denied responsibility. I'm due to talk to them again tomorrow.

Just wondered how you'd got on and whether you had any tips!

Many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a 58 plate A5 2.0 TFSI that has covered just over 75,000 miles, it suffered from the oil consumption issue and had a stage 2 fix last year, with a 100% contribution from Audi, at Teesside Audi.

This was done late last summer, but the car was sat in a body shop for 2 months in Autumn, so only had a few months of use since the work was done. A few weeks ago, the car struggled to start, and was running rough, when diagnosed by an independent, was found to be a slipped timing chain, so I took it to Teesside Audi, who diagnosed it as the same, they inspected it internally, and confirmed they found no damage to valves etc, and said the fact that it could still turn over and run was a good sign.

I suggested when it was booked in that I think it may be related, as when I searched around, there are a lot of reports for this engine saying that the timing chain slipped due to a failed tensioner a few months after having the oil consumption issue fixed, more than to make it a coincidence. The guy who booked it in didn't even contemplate it, and was actually a bit rude. It was the same guy who dealt with the issue originally, and seemed the same back then as well.

Anyway, they said it was the timing tensioner that failed and needed replacing, £670, after it had been replaced, they said it was losing compression on cylinder 1, and would be another £800 just to let me know what was causing the issue. I asked why this wasn't detected when inspecting the engine originally, and was passed off with some excuse.

I have read dozens of reports from across the vw/audi/skoda family that share this engine of the tensioner failing shortly after replacement of the pistons, piston rings, engine rebuild etc. for the oil consumption issue.

I have now contacted Audi directly, who said they will speak to the dealer, but not heard anything back yet. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, what was the outcome? I feel begrudged paying potentially thousands to fix an engine that has been serviced at Audi dealers except once, but that was at an independent using Audi parts, and that had an engine rebuild by Audi less than 6 months ago AND only done 75,000 miles!

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you.
Hi shaun im currently having the exact same issue, how did your case end up ?
Thanks
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts