Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please advise me on the fuel consumption of the A5 2.0 TFSI (180) Petrol.
I have done nearly 2100 miles since xmas in mine and I am getting only 30 - 31 mpg, even if i drive really gentle.
70% of my driving is on duel carriageways or motorways - and i am really disappointed in the fuel consumption. I was told by the local Audi Dealer i would get 40-42mpg easily.

Apart from that the car is great and am very pleased. I can even fit in the back seats a child isofix car seat and there is sufficient room.

I would appreciate any feedback on the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I was getting 23-24mpg in central London. Which was really disappointing. However, I changed my driving style and for the last week or so my fuel consumption has been 43.1mpg. I am impressed!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well I was getting 23-24mpg in central London. Which was really disappointing. However, I changed my driving style and for the last week or so my fuel consumption has been 43.1mpg. I am impressed!
As a prospective owner of a 2.0T Multitronic any tips on how you were able to achieve such a massive increase.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not the most obvious suggestion but Getting a re-map done should help on fuel economy as well as performance !!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I was more aggressive at lights previously and used the gearbox in sport mode with the paddles. I now leave the car in D. Also I tend to "coast" more now on approach to lights for example and brake less often whilst following cars. This all worked for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey I have a 3.2fsi quattro sport and the book tells me I should get 28.5 mpg combined but I only get about 20-21 on a good day, but who gives a sh_t:rolleyes:

Live life in the fast lane if you want good mpg get a Micra 1lt

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Wow! I'm so suprised at teh mpg you guyz are getting, ok my S5 has done 22000 miles now and had two oil changes and i'm regularly seeing an average of 26mpg combined motorway and town driving. This is normal driving not eco driving or anything.

If I eco drive (70mph with cruise on) then I can get 30mpg on the motorway no probs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi SAJ 1982

Did you say that you have had two oil servise at 22k.

I am due my first oil servise at 11k and yet my normal servise is not due for a further 8k, but the garage have advised me to get the full service even though its not due. They claim it should not need another service for about 2 years!!!:confused:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi SAJ 1982

Did you say that you have had two oil servise at 22k.

I am due my first oil servise at 11k and yet my normal servise is not due for a further 8k, but the garage have advised me to get the full service even though its not due. They claim it should not need another service for about 2 years!!!:confused:
I had an oil and filter change done at 10,000 miles and a full service at 20,000 miles. I just followed what the MMI said.

Dont get ur full service done untill the 8k left has be done, they just trying to make money out of u. Stick to getting oil change done now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can somebody please advise me on the fuel consumption of the A5 2.0 TFSI (180) Petrol.
I have done nearly 2100 miles since xmas in mine and I am getting only 30 - 31 mpg, even if i drive really gentle.
70% of my driving is on duel carriageways or motorways - and i am really disappointed in the fuel consumption. I was told by the local Audi Dealer i would get 40-42mpg easily.
I have been wondering too, but it appears that you're getting a similar consumption to me with about 2500 miles on the clock.

The 8 mile run to and from work each day seems to keep my average tank consumption down to about 25-27 mpg. On a motorway run it seems to be anywhere between 32-36mpg although not necessarily running at 70mph all the time!

I wouldn't say i was unhappy with it, but i was expecting a little more too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys,
driving a turbocharged engine is totally different than an NA engine.
To get maximum fuel efficiency on a turbo engine you have to drive at extremely low rpms (before the turbo kicks in fully) and take advantage of the high torque found in low RPM's. The ECU mapping on turbocharged engines provide the 60-70% of the fuel at the RPM range where the turbo boosts.

I ve had a Nissan Silvia S15 2.0 Turbo for some years and this technique is way effective.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed! And I’m the first to admit I’m quite heavy footed. However, I’m still totally bewildered how to get above 40 as an average on a motorway when i can only touch just over 40 on current, even when I do drive at 70mph.

Either way, it’s only a couple of mpg below what I expect and the car way makes up for it! :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am due my first oil servise at 11k and yet my normal servise is not due for a further 8k, but the garage have advised me to get the full service even though its not due. They claim it should not need another service for about 2 years!!!
My first oil service is at 18k. I asked the garage to do an oil change last year around 10k and they said there is no need and that I should stick to the variable service notifications as that is what they are there for.

I'm getting around 24mpg on my S5. Can get it upto nearly 30mpg on long runs. Typically I come in at 29.7mpg on a 35 mile trip to Norwich. It bugs me as I will get it to 30mpg one day.

Remember that new cars tend to be less efficient for the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
clifton2

Your MPG does seem low!

I've now covered 6,900mile in my 2.0TFSI 180. Trip 2 which i've not reset shows 34.8mpg. This is reasonable and i'm happy with this.:)

Around the town i'm getting about 32pmg. If you want good economy around the town you just need to be a bit gentle with accelerating when pulling away. It makes all the difference.

I completed a run yesterday of 220 miles and my driving style has loosened as i've had the car longer....i.e I'm having some fun putting the old foot down:D. I still achieved 38.1mpg.

On days when i do a run to the local office in stop start traffic (a 36mile journey) with about 20min in a jam every day, i still typically achieve 35mpg.

If i take it steady with cruise on the motorway at 70mpg, i'll get around 41mpg.

Happy days!!!!!:D I'm loving this car :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had my 2.0 (211bhp) for almost 2 weeks now, have done 800kms approx and my trip computer says im getting 10.8l/100kms which is 21.78 mpg !!

I hope this creeps up as the engine breaks in a bit more.

I have driven fairly economicly most of the time. Almost every time i check the suggest gear im in that gear. Of course i've put the foot down 5-6 times in 2nd or 3rd to test the acceloration but in general i've been fairly gentle when driving it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
good milage

Agreed! And I’m the first to admit I’m quite heavy footed. However, I’m still totally bewildered how to get above 40 as an average on a motorway when i can only touch just over 40 on current, even when I do drive at 70mph.

Either way, it’s only a couple of mpg below what I expect and the car way makes up for it! :D
I drive through Dublin City every day, and the fuel consumption is horrendous
16 to 20 , on the Motorway its up to 42 mpg, big Difference , it did not say that
in the brochure

·
Registered
18 Posts
same goes for me guys.I have almost 4000 miles and I get around 26-28mpg
on my 25 mile road to work (3-lane, medium traffic highway). Through the
city it's around 21-22. Ok I drive fast but I dont really push the car to
the limit.And I didn't EVER expect to see the consumption Audi announces.
I say this because I know what a consumption test includes and I think
the whole test process is a joke.Especially for cars like A5

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.