Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, im new so go easy

I have a 2010 s5 manual w/ 8k mi and sport dif.

I always drive my car hard. Right from the start I noticed that sometimes when I bring 1st gear to the red line and pop the clutch into 2nd, it feels like the clutch is still slightly engaged for a few seconds and the acceleration is noticeably slower. I have stopped the car multiple times after this happens and I can smell the strong smell of clutch burning. To ensure this is not me [accidentally] pressing the clutch, I remove my foot from the clutch, but it still happens.

This issue only occurs 50% of the time. When this doesn't happen, I can pop the clutch into 2nd, the gear jumps right in, and takes off (as expected).

This problem only happens when up-shifting from 1 to 2 at high/max rpms. I experience this just about daily. My audi dealership has never heard of such a thing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello...i have the same problem on my Audi A5 2.0 tfsi quattro....

If you solved the problem or you know which the problem is please tell me too....

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello..my car is the same...if i rev it in first gear to 5500 and i let off the clutch it feels like a slipping clutch and when i go to the 2nd gear for about 1 second i fell again something like a clutch slipping....

I was driving another cars with AWD but when i let of the clutch it just kicks you in the back and go wild! in my case this is the missing part that kills me...

Do you know anything to fix this?

does anyone else have this problem?

A5 2.0 tfsi quattro 6MT

PLS HELP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, any updates to this smell. Having the same any time I floor 1st then 2nd. A smell is noticeable when I park.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hey, any updates to this smell. Having the same any time I floor 1st then 2nd. A smell is noticeable when I park.
Think this smell may have gone now since it was 8 years ago :D

But, it sounds like when driving and changing gear quickly the clutch does slip causing a temporary overheat and the smell. Sounds like the clutch isn't quite up to the job of handling the power.

It should either 'kick' into 2nd gear or even chirp the tyres spinning them slightly rather than slipping on the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Think this smell may have gone now since it was 8 years ago :D

But, it sounds like when driving and changing gear quickly the clutch does slip causing a temporary overheat and the smell. Sounds like the clutch isn't quite up to the job of handling the power.

It should either 'kick' into 2nd gear or even chirp the tyres spinning them slightly rather than slipping on the clutch.
Haha any fix? Did your clutch eventually died?
I was thinking maybe it's the stability control that cause the clutch to overheat when shifting. It's really weird I don't have that smell in my honda nor my mazda 3
It happened juste 2 -4 times with the Mazda then I forgot about it.
Being audi if their clutch system is that weak 😅😯

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Haha any fix? Did your clutch eventually died?
I was thinking maybe it's the stability control that cause the clutch to overheat when shifting. It's really weird I don't have that smell in my honda nor my mazda 3
It happened juste 2 -4 times with the Mazda then I forgot about it.
Being audi if their clutch system is that weak 😅😯
My old 3.0tdi A5 was tip-tronic and my S5 is DSG so only commenting from having other manual cars, which they would kick into 2nd gear and not 'slip' on the clutch.

The stability control doesn't have any control on the clutch, just the accelerator and brakes.

But I'm surprised you get the clutch smell from just on small bit of slippage when changing gear! Other than replacing the clutch for a nice new fresh one, the only other thing is driving style and making sure you don't ride the clutch or rest your foot on the pedal. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My old 3.0tdi A5 was tip-tronic and my S5 is DSG so only commenting from having other manual cars, which they would kick into 2nd gear and not 'slip' on the clutch.

The stability control doesn't have any control on the clutch, just the accelerator and brakes.

But I'm surprised you get the clutch smell from just on small bit of slippage when changing gear! Other than replacing the clutch for a nice new fresh one, the only other thing is driving style and making sure you don't ride the clutch or rest your foot on the pedal. :)
There is no visible sign just the smell...the car takes off like it should no hésitation. Also audi dealership said the car has no issues and another independent mechanic told me the car has good engine and transmission.
That smell thing is getting me paranoid 😂. I think the fact that I searched online for days and not a single explanations dominates others 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Does it smell if you drive 'normally'? Is it just after doing a hard acceleration 1st to 2nd?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
So get some stronger air fresheners in your car????? And/or dont thrash her in the lower gears????? My old B6 S4 is auto so no intelligent comments sorry.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts