Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my a5 now for 5 days and since day one the first gear have been very hard to put in. am i doing something wrong or? I live in sweden and its getting colder. is that a possible reason?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have similar problem with 1st and 2nd gear. It always happens after a start in the cold morning after cold night. There is nothing about it, as car warms up, everything starts to work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
On cold mornings the 3.0TDI's gearbox is a bit clunky when shifting from 1st to second, it seems to be very common, although it's not a fault.

If it's happening even when the car has heated up, then there probably is a problem.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Most cars I have had do this to different degrees. My current A5 does it sometimes when cold and slightly more if the car is moving. I find that gently rocking the lever into first works if it is being a bit stubborn.
I dont think its a fault though

·
Registered
143 Posts
What Speary said. I too reckon it is manual gearbox peculiarity inherent in many models irrespectively of the car make. When the thing warms up it's gone. You might want to check another thread pertinent to the issue, titled "1st gear question".
Enjoy the car and don't let it monopolize your thoughts. After all, who needs 1st gear with all this torque available. :rolleyes:
Just kidding.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Upon reflection...

In the past when it gets really cold, I've had the experience that both gear box and power steering were stiff in my previous cars. Probably due to the fluids in the gear box and steering system being cold and dense. (Molasses in January?) This always went away very shortly after I started driving. So, the message, as other said, is that you need not worry about it unless other symptoms occur or the problem persists after driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
''Simfono apolita'' I totally agree as we say in Greece with Geo...I had the same problem during the first 2000 km, even when the car was warm...Now the problem reduced and the first gear is more easy to put in..After 2000 km, I still have the shifting problem, only sometimes, when the car is cold...
Try to enjoy your A5...As you drive it more and more...it learns from you and you learn from it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts