Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

19" Y's -- stone chips !!!!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Marmin 
#1 ·
I have had my car for just under 2 months and have covered a modest yet fantastic 2000 miles:D

HOWEVER , in that time I have picked up 2 annoying smallish scratches , one on each of 2 alloys that have chipped off the laquer and gone down to the metal . I have definitely not kerbed the wheels --- sad as it sounds , I never do !!! The alloys on my 60K miles 3 series do not have a mark on any of them .

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed how easy it is for the alloys to pick up scratches or am I just unlucky ? I reckon it must be due to stones or something :mad:

The damage is not so bad that I am going to rush to get them refurbished (might just put some clear lacquer on the scratches to keep the salt out for the time being) but who do you recommend and what is the likely cost per wheel ?

Cheers

#2 ·
I've had the same on my passenger side rear wheel. Deffinately not kerbed. Its a 7mm long chip in one of the spokes. I just put some laquer on it for now.:(

#3 ·
Well, I have 20 " rims on mine. This week was awful! i was going through a road which had a 6x6 at an awkward angle! and even though i was extra cautious, passenger side front wheel, grazed the curb!

I almost cried!

Oh well.... Getting them refurbed today. Hopefully will be as good as new. The spokes were not hit, just the edge of the rim.

#4 ·
Had the front n/s replaced as the paint was coming off the wheel especiually around the bolt, I could actually peel it with my thumb nail however it was black underneath as I at first thought it was a large tar spot, warranty guy actually suggested it was a wheel brace used by me which caused it, I wont repeat my response, anyhow all the rest seem fine

#5 ·
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed how easy it is for the alloys to pick up scratches or am I just unlucky ? I reckon it must be due to stones or something :mad:

Cheers
Shakey - just completed my first 3500 miles with the Y alloys and have a small stone chip on n/s rear. As with you, it's definitely not a curb as it's too isolated and near the centre - more of a small pit/scratch that looks like stone type damage. Had big alloys for years and although I have curbed previously :eek: this is definitely not.

Maybe the final layer is just particularly weak on these wheels ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.