Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that the suggested pressure of 41 psi for the fronts and 32 psi for the rears is too high?

I have been running the fronts at 36 and the rears at 32 and I think it gives a better ride than having the fronts at 41.

I don't think that the lower pressures on the front will cause excess tyre wear at the edges will it?

·
Registered
260 Posts
might hit your fuel consumption??

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Good point!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I would be nervous about doing this. Tried it on an A4 Cab on 17in wheels, it caused excess edge wear.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
we have real bad pot holes up here so having to blow up tyres all the time. i did notice however running the tyres low fuel was poor when i blew them up fuel was fab!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While we are talking about tyres, has anyone found any Dunlop Sport Maxx's with the correct speed rating anywhere? Mine are 235/35 R19 96Y and I can only find Z and it says that they are reinforced so I assume this means they are (yak) runflats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I understand it reinforced only relates to the fact that they have a higher load index - i.e. for chunky motors running on low profile tyres - doesn't imply that they are runflats.

From previosu experience, running a car that required XL tyres on standard (non XL - grammar is sh&te I admit) resulted in pothole = sidewall bulge

I always seem to go for the XL tyres even if not specified as OEM - admittedly some do give a slighly firmer ride as the sidewall is a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have same tyres; when I did ask dealer they said is 2.6 bar in the front and 2.1 bar in the rear.

Before I pump it up a little bit, having 41psi front and 32psi rear. When I did that fuel consumtion went down nicely same as power feels a bit more up but car feels very rought, every little road damages starts been very noticeable. Finally to save my suspension I went back to standard pressure 2.6/2.1 bar.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
While we are talking about tyres, has anyone found any Dunlop Sport Maxx's with the correct speed rating anywhere? Mine are 235/35 R19 96Y and I can only find Z and it says that they are reinforced so I assume this means they are (yak) runflats.
That's not the standard size Booster... or is it a typo? 255?:cheers:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I must have read it wrong!! Will double check in the morning :wall:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Heres some good news yet bad at the same time. Dunlop has ceased producing this tyre for shops but the Audi Tyre Centre can in fact get them for us!! this is what im told from Audi after calling dozens of tyre shops!!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Contunentals are great. Have Dun'slop' on my A5 but not my favourite tyre.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Booster, reinforced aren't runflats, it just means they have a stronger sidewall and have a heavier load rating than a standard tyre. My Cab needs reinforced so I guess the A5 is no different...:cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
[/I]
I also have the same tyres. (They are not run flats!!)

Most car tyres used in the UK have both a load and speed rating after the tyre size, e.g. 255/35 ZR 19 is usually followed by 96Y. This means the tyres can carry their rated load upto a maximum non-stop speed of 190mph.

Speed Category "ZR" For vehicles with a speed capability over 150mph (e.g. 255/35 ZR 19)

ZR+ Speed Symbol "Y" (as in 96Y on Dunlop) Tyres marked with both can reach a speed capability over 150mph but not exceeding 190mph

As I understand it reinforced only relates to the fact that they have a higher load index
Yep! It means the car can carry it's extra load at top speed.

Now run flat tyres...This gets a little complicated as different manufactures have different letters. (e.g. Bridgestone "RFT" on sidewall Run Flat Tyre; Continental "SSR" on sidewall Self Supporting Runflat Tyre; can't remember others).
Basically, if a modern car has no spare in the boot - then you'll be running on run flat tyres!!

A car's suspension is specifically tuned for run flat tyres for maximum safety, performance, handling and ride quality. Run flat tyres must only be fitted in conjunction with a tyre pressure monitoring system to ensure that a tyre deflation is communicated to the driver at the earliest possible moment. Failure to do so can cause BIG problems and could result in a tyre being run in a deflated condition for longer than the recommended period and the driver left in ignorance of a tyre's condition. This becomes a BIG danger.
Also run flat tyres are always more expensive and do not get repaired (e.g. when you get a puncture) so pick up a small nail, drive a few miles to the tyre house...Your gonna need a brand new tyre!!

Last point: it's almost interesting
When a tyre is manufactured it has a born date, DOT.
E.g. a tyre made today will have four digits after DOT (and there is normally some letters and/or numbers in between) 0809. First two digits relate to a week number e.g. this week is build week 8. Last two is year of manufacture e.g. 2009
My tyre has DOT (eight letters/numbers then) 3508. Hence 35th week 2008, which equates to my tyre being made week starting 25th August 2008.

Phew!! I'm glad that's finished!!...............Scouse now goes for a lay down!! :lightout:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Contunentals are great. Have Dun'slop' on my A5 but not my favourite tyre.
RG found this about Dunlop, might make you feel better!!! ;)

"Slash your lap times with SP Sport Maxx GT
Dunlop's test driver took out a handling test to check the outstanding dry performance of the new SP Sport Maxx GT. Fitted to the same car as two of its main competitors, SP Sport Maxx GT reduced lap times by 1sec. per lap (on a 2.1km test track). The test driver was not aware of the brand he was driving on."

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyres/car/searchResults/SPSportMaxxGT/

·
Registered
871 Posts
Why are you putting 41psi in fronts. That seems too high
Check the label in the door frame for the correct settings
I think the fronts are about 32 and the rears 30 for normal load eg 2 passengers and a bit of luggage

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why are you putting 41psi in fronts. That seems too high
Check the label in the door frame for the correct settings
I think the fronts are about 32 and the rears 30 for normal load eg 2 passengers and a bit of luggage
That is where I got the pressures from. It seemed high to me as well. I think the diesel has higher pressures due to the extra weight of the engine.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've got these wheels and tyres and I'll think you'll find that the actual psi for x2 people should be 38 on the front and 32 on the rear? I put a similar thread up here about 6 months a go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well... just to confuse things even further...!

The Audi TSB (for vibration): 44 08 04 2018121/1 July 9, 2008

States that for "All Season" tyres, the correct settings under normal load for 255/35/19 96H tyres is:

Front: 36
Rear: 32

"Summer Performance" (96Y) tyres should be:

Front: 33
Rear: 32

So now I'm totally confused... are Continental SportContact tyres all season or performance... :-S

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even more confusing, I have just been out to look at the sticker on the door to check that I was not going mad and for the 19" it does state 41 psi front and 32 psi rear with 2 passengers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.