Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

What pressure do people have in their 19" 'Y' design wheels? When I picked the Car up the pressure was around 36-38 per wheel but inside the door I think it states the pressure should be 32psi, just trying to work out which psi is the best for these wheels?

Cheers

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not Sure, I havnt checked mine Since i've had them :eek:

I'll try remember to check when i'm next passing a garage......... I must remember to check them....... I must remember to check them... Got It :) ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've payed about a bit with pressures. I find that 42 at the front and 34 at the rear suits me.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
42psi and 34psi at the back sounds like a lot mate? :confused: Doesn't tyre pressure affect MPG? That's one of the reasons why I asked what the best pressure was, with the cost of diesel these days I can do with extra MPG I can get my hands on! :D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I've payed about a bit with pressures. I find that 42 at the front suits me.

I'd ask Audi mate. Seems you may have been reading too many fictional books. 42 is not the answer to everything!!!! (get it?):D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi
I think it depends on the type of tyre you have. I just changed over to the 19" Y wheels. According to the sticker on my door, the pressure varies from the 96Y to 96V type.

I have the 96Y type so the pressures for that tyre are listed as 38 front and 32 rear (single person) or 39 front and 39 rear (fully loaded)
If you have the 96V tyre, the pressures are listed as 41 front and 32 rear (single person) and 44 front and 41 rear (fully loaded).

Hope that helps

Cheers
Plob

P.S. Please note that my car is front wheel drive only. I don't know if these values vary for Quattro cars

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's a chart on the drivers door if you have a look, open the door and it's under the catch. I've 255/35/19's, I'll run with ~38 on the front and ~36 on the back.

The thinner the tyre the higher the pressure required - generally speaking.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd ask Audi mate. Seems you may have been reading too many fictional books. 42 is not the answer to everything!!!! (get it?):D

Au contraire. Depends on which A5 model. Mine is a 3.0TDI with a heavy engine. I run my front pressures in between the door-sticker guidance for light and heavy loads. Probably differs for other engine sizes?

·
Registered
423 Posts
cannot put anything over 30psi in mine or its way too hard for the roads here in ireland. and Ive got 18" rims.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I really am confused?? :confused:

I'm sure the sticker in my door states 32psi front and rear for my size (19" Y) wheels, hence the reason why I set this thread up as I wanted to find out what everyone else is running on their 19" 'Y's? Is 32 too low would you say?

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would say it's too low yes. Check your door again just to make sure, I'll have another look at mine too but I think it recommended 39 front and 36.

Edit/ I got rid of that *Junior member* tagline \o/

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just checked.....it should be 41 on the front and 32 on the rear with x2 passengers. Seems quite a bit of a difference between front and rear but who am I to argue with Audi eh!! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
my door jam sticker says 33psi front 32 rear with the car fully loaded
i can take a pic during lunch
this is an A5 with S-line with the 19" Y wheels

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's odd, why should yours be different to mine, unless it's got something to do with the countries climate and roads etc?? :confused:

Are you sure you're looking at the correct pressure for the 19" only it took me a minute or so to realise which PSI was for which size wheel?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
kmarei is correct. The attached pic is from my A5 3.2 that came with the optional 19" wheels. As you'll see, it does indicate 33 front and 32 rear. So, I guess the differences could be based upon which country the car is produced for.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just checked.....it should be 41 on the front and 32 on the rear with x2 passengers. Seems quite a bit of a difference between front and rear but who am I to argue with Audi eh!! :D
Mr Fish,

Double check you haven't misread the sticker as it isn't as well laid out as the US version and at first glance the 41/32 appears to be the correct one but for 255/35 R19 96Y it should be 38 front & 32 rear for normal use (2 people)

When my car was in a few weeks ago I asked them to check the tyre pressure as I thought 41 was too high and it was changed to 38.

The attached door sticker is from a UK RHD 2008 3.0 TDI quattro fitted with Dunlop SPORTMAXX 255/35 R19 96Y

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bugger, you're right! Just had another look and for the tyre type I have it's 38 on the rear and 32 at the front! I've only just got back from changing them to 33 at front and 41 at rear too! :mad:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bugger, you're right! Just had another look and for the tyre type I have it's 38 on the rear and 32 at the front! I've only just got back from changing them to 33 at front and 41 at rear too! :mad:
Billy - I know that you're drowning in numbers here - but should that not be the higher pressure at the front? or am I reading the door card wrong?

I hope you've not just got back from doing them again ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts