Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of people out there with A5s have ticked the 19" Y-design alloy upgrade box when ordering - are these easy to keep clean?

I only ask as (lovely looking though they are) they look a bit 'fiddly' around the Y part of the design, which may well attract brake dust which could be difficult to shift after a few thousand miles. May not be the case though - any experience?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm sure a lot of people out there with A5s have ticked the 19" Y-design alloy upgrade box when ordering - are these easy to keep clean?
Just use wonder wheels alloy wheel cleaner on them once a month. They come out looking good as new. But only use it once a month, I made the mistake of using it weekly and over the course of 2 years I started to notice that the finish was starting to fade away. Mind you this could be the fact that the wheels cost me £400 from new so could just be rubbish quality wheels.

Audi pads are really bad for dust though. I noticed that the moment I changed from OEM pads to EBC brake pads. The amount of dust now in comparison to before is easily half.

If I went on a spirited drive on the OEM pads, the wheels would be covered in dust, but now it take a few hard runs to get that to happen.

·
Registered
735 Posts
They look relatively easy to clean to me :)

Imagine what multi-spokes are like to clean ! :p :eek:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just use wonder wheels alloy wheel cleaner on them once a month. They come out looking good as new. But only use it once a month, I made the mistake of using it weekly and over the course of 2 years I started to notice that the finish was starting to fade away. Mind you this could be the fact that the wheels cost me £400 from new so could just be rubbish quality wheels.

Audi pads are really bad for dust though. I noticed that the moment I changed from OEM pads to EBC brake pads. The amount of dust now in comparison to before is easily half.

If I went on a spirited drive on the OEM pads, the wheels would be covered in dust, but now it take a few hard runs to get that to happen.
Saj - thanks for the pointer. Think I'll look at changing the front pads then!

I've used wonder wheels for ages, whenever I clean the wheels, and agree that multispokes (there was a 19" 20-spoke design available, but not sure I've seen any pictures) would be a real pain to clean. My parent's old A3 had 20-spoke 16" wheels and they were a real bind to clean.

Wonderwheels is also potentially nasty stuff. I used to keep all the cleaning stuff in the wheel-well under the boot floor when I had my 1.8T Sport. Unfortunately the Wonder Wheels spilled a bit on one occasion and it stripped a big patch of surface off the lovely full-sized spare:mad: :mad: ! Thankfully I never had a puncture and so I just left it to the dealer I traded it in with for my 2.8 Quattro!:D

Needless to say, I didn't keep Wonder Wheels in the boot of my later cars!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think wheel cleaner in general is bad, scary stuff :eek:

Best tip is to wax your wheels early on and regularly - brake dust comes off really easily then :)

I've stopped using alloy wheel cleaner - it shredded a set of split rims I had on the last MINI :eek:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Pop down to Halfords, pick up a lambswool wheel brush(wont scratch) and do them once a week, simple and quick. The brush will fit into all the fiddly areas. Coat of Alloy wheel polish every couple of months makes cleaning easier.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They are pretty easy to clean. The big space between the spokes allows you to get your hand/sponge inside to clean the inner rim. The only slightly fiddly bit is where the spokes meet the rim. These five small holes need a little brush pushed into them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts