Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There was a post some time ago (I even posted in it but can't find it even after searching through all my posts) where someone wanted to see pictures of cars with the 19" 20 spoke wheels.

As 'Spoke' is a pretty common search term, and '20 spoke' doesn't turn up the right thread, can someone point me to any pictures of an A5 with the 19" 20 spoke wheels please?

Even Google isn't being that forthcoming.

I'm trying to get a side-by-side comparison of the 18" S-Line wheels and the 19" 20 spoke ones.

Did a crude photoshop of the car. It makes the car less sporty and more 'executive' if you know what I mean? I'm undecided.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks TX. Much appreciated.
I think I'm in the same boat as you Highrise - dealer has just confirmed to me that 19in. Ys are unavailable on S Line :(- I'm not keen on the standards or paying an extra 1200 notes for an upgrade to the 20in - he is getting back to me and I'll let you know the outcome

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TX's post above threw up the following picture

These are about £450 19" 20 spoke wheels. I'm trying to find a picture of them on a black car so I can compare them to the 20" RS4 wheels in the thread. I'll post it if I can find one. Although my photoshop is adequate, i'm fairly comfident that the wheels I put on were too big.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those wheels actually look ok but keeping them clean will be a nightmare - seeing as they are only a 100 quid more than the Ys I suppose I'll have to go with them if needs be but are they definitely an option on the S Line?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those wheels actually look ok but keeping them clean will be a nightmare - seeing as they are only a 100 quid more than the Ys I suppose I'll have to go with them if needs be but are they definitely an option on the S Line?
Yes, according to my dealer, it's either the standard crappy looking 18" Fisher Price ones, the £450 19" 20 spokes or the £1200 20" RS4 wheels.

I'm very interested in the RS4 wheels but I am conscious of the fact that they will be even more detrimental to the ride quality. I really want to see how the 19" 20 spoke wheels fill out the arches on a black car. The white car above is deceptive to the eye.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks TX. Much appreciated.
You're welcome.

I'm trying to find a picture of them on a black car so I can compare them to the 20" RS4 wheels in the thread.
I'll search through my archive of photos this evening to see if I can find one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
really want to see how the 19" 20 spoke wheels fill out the arches on a black car. The white car above is deceptive to the eye.
Having seen these wheels on an A5 in the flesh I think they look small. I know they are 19" but the style of them makes them seems smaller than they are. Its the same for all cars with this style of wheel. As the edge of the wheel is so wide it gives the impression that they are smaller than they really are.

Also agree with the comments above about them being a nightmare to keep clean. :eek:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer got back to me again today to let me know what Audi had decided.

Apparently, they have decided that they aren't allowing the 20" RS4 wheels now either.

So as it stands, I have the choice between the stock crap wheels or the 19" 20 spoke wheels.

So I have gone with the 19" 20 spoke ones.

The dealer did say that he expects Audi to launch some other wheels for the S-Line at some point before I have to finalise my order in December.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm trying to find a picture of them on a black car so I can compare them to the 20" RS4 wheels in the thread.
I'll search through my archive of photos this evening to see if I can find one.
OK, so I just finished searching through my archive and found several pics with those wheels on a black S-line. I also created a side-by-side pic for you to see the 20-spoke vs. the RS4-style wheels. (See first pic.)

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
OK, so I just finished searching through my archive and found several pics with those wheels on a black S-line. I also created a side-by-side pic for you to see the 20-spoke vs. the RS4-style wheels. (See first pic.)

I knew you'd have it. I think Audi gets their pics from TX... ;-)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The 20 spokes look good on our Black A3 Sportback (in 18in variety) but they are a bugger to clean. Also as a warning ... it is generally not possible to repair them in the same way if you kerb them due to their construction.

I borrowed a Phantom Black 3.0Tdi Sport with the 19 in version and whilst loving the look opted for the aguably nicer (and more practical) Y spokes for my soon to be exclusive 'Sport' Model. On that subject I am still in negotiations with dealer and Audi about having been told on 16 October there was no S Line.. so far I have a free set of rubber mats!!

Dealer still maintains he doesn't see the point of the S Line and doubts it will affect Sport residuals, especially if the S line doesn't have an option of 19in Y spoke wheels which quote 'are the most popular'.

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That's brilliant! Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No problem. Glad to help. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same concern before getting my S-Line A5 but wait until you actually see the 18" S_Line wheels live on your car.

They do look much nicer than they do on the pictures and they look even nicer when the car is moving slowly. I had already made my mind to order a new set of wheels right after i would get the car but now that i have it i don't think i will change them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The 20 spokes look good on our Black A3 Sportback (in 18in variety) but they are a bugger to clean. Also as a warning ... it is generally not possible to repair them in the same way if you kerb them due to their construction.

I borrowed a Phantom Black 3.0Tdi Sport with the 19 in version and whilst loving the look opted for the aguably nicer (and more practical) Y spokes for my soon to be exclusive 'Sport' Model. On that subject I am still in negotiations with dealer and Audi about having been told on 16 October there was no S Line.. so far I have a free set of rubber mats!!

Dealer still maintains he doesn't see the point of the S Line and doubts it will affect Sport residuals, especially if the S line doesn't have an option of 19in Y spoke wheels which quote 'are the most popular'.

Cheers
RG
You're right mate, I agree with you about the Y's and will definitely go back to those if Audi change their mind and allow them for the S-Line. I'm not happy about the extra cleaning the 20 spoke wheels will need either, but it's either those or the standard S-Line Fisher Price wheels. My dealership still reckons that Audi will release more options for wheels before I have to finalise my order in December, so here's hoping.

I had the same concern before getting my S-Line A5 but wait until you actually see the 18" S_Line wheels live on your car.

They do look much nicer than they do on the pictures and they look even nicer when the car is moving slowly. I had already made my mind to order a new set of wheels right after i would get the car but now that i have it i don't think i will change them.
I take on board what you are saying but having seen the pictures kindly provided by the 'man of a thousand pictures, TXcarguy, and also having seen an A4 with them on (yes I know it's not the same car but it's similar) I really don't like them. Of course, that may all change when I actually see an A5 with them but the thing is, I would rather pay a bit more now and get some wheels that will be set up by the factory with the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) rather than get some after market ones that may screw the TPMS up feasibly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feel you pain, having already gone though this dilema with my S-Line order.

I chose the 20-spokes but was also worried how to keep them clean..
Anyway, I found a wheel wax called 'Autobahn' by Swizöl (they go by Swissvax in the UK)

It's blended with PTFE - the stuff they use to coat non-stick frying pans,
Since this was applied, all I do is dust over the spokes with an old towel after washing and all the dirt (brake dust mostly) wipes straight off without a fight.

I'm running those S-Line 5-spokes at the moment (winter setup)
Don't be too hasty to knock them, the 2D pictures in the brochure don't do them justice. You need to see them side on if you know what I mean..

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
You're right mate, I agree on you about the Y's and will definitely go back to those if Audi change their mind and allow them for the S-Line. I'm not happy about the extra cleaning the 20 spoke wheels will need either, but it's either those or the standard S-Line Fisher Price wheels. My dealership still reckons that Audi will release more options for wheels before I have to finalise my order in December, so here's hoping.

The Sline seems to miss the mark on the wheel front big time, I love the Fisher Price Comment BTW.

Love my Y spokes just not a happy chap with Audi and consequently dealer at present. Advised on 16 October NO S Line coming and it has

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 20 spokes look good on our Black A3 Sportback (in 18in variety) but they are a bugger to clean.

Agreed!! This is the Mrs A3 and the 20 spokes look good.

B:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts