Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently purchased a 16 plate s5 coupe with 40k on the clock which i pick up on Friday. Just wanted to get some feedback on what I should be looking out for?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Large fuel bills and several speeding tickets . Seriously though, enjoy it and post some pics on here once you collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fuel bills not to bad on a std car.
Check to see the service history and give it a major service if the previous owner has opted for the longline 2 year service option .
Also dsg gearbox fluid/filter should be changed around about 36k.
Can't remember if plugs are also due so worth checking them also.
Apart from that enjoy 😉

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
There's a safety recall on the CREC engine in that car. It must be done prior to sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback!
Will post some pics when I collect it 🤗

Luckily it’s just had a major service by the previous owner, will check regarding the gearbox, I’ve read a few things about the mechatronic problems if not serviced at recommended intervals.

@Dippy I checked on gov.uk for any outstanding recalls but there are no recalls for the car according to their data.
I’ll ask Audi directly just to make sure.

What is everyone’s opinion on valvetronic exhausts, do you think they’re worth it?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
Will post some pics when I collect it

Luckily it’s just had a major service by the previous owner, will check regarding the gearbox, I’ve read a few things about the mechatronic problems if not serviced at recommended intervals.

@Dippy I checked on gov.uk for any outstanding recalls but there are no recalls for the car according to their data.
I’ll ask Audi directly just to make sure.

What is everyone’s opinion on valvetronic exhausts, do you think they’re worth it?
Congrats on your purchase mate!

Exhausts - I have the AWE Tuning on my S5 cab. It’s immense and would be my first choice. But there are a few to choose from out there.

My S5 has ADS so the tone and sound of the car changes in dynamic mode!

Depends on your budget to be fair. I’d stay away from Armytrix though - one of the guys on here, Tony had a nightmare with it and it actually ate about 90bhp from his S5!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just wanted to get some feedback on what I should be looking out for?
Thanks in advance!
One of the main things to look out for are thieves.
Everyone loves an S5 but not everyone wants to pay for one.
It'll most likely be keyless entry so be careful where you leave the keys and maybe invest in a steering lock.
Best of all keep it hidden away in a garage.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new purchase, I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One of the main things to look out for are thieves.
Everyone loves an S5 but not everyone wants to pay for one.
It'll most likely be keyless entry so be careful where you leave the keys and maybe invest in a steering lock.
Best of all keep it hidden away in a garage.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new purchase, I'm sure you will.
Good shout!

First week I bought mine I got Autowatch Ghost installed.

Only way to nick it is to put it on a low loader or car trailer - it starting for no one but me!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mines in a secure garage with a car usually parked in front of that.
A camera to notify me if there's anyone there.
If someone did eventually get into the garage there's a madman waiting inside with a shotgun. 😂

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mines in a secure garage with a car usually parked in front of that.
A camera to notify me if there's anyone there.
If someone did eventually get into the garage there's a madman waiting inside with a shotgun.
But it’s not always at home though under a watchful eye - it could be parked in a car park or wherever - that’s why I went for the ghost

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on your purchase mate!

Exhausts - I have the AWE Tuning on my S5 cab. It’s immense and would be my first choice. But there are a few to choose from out there.

My S5 has ADS so the tone and sound of the car changes in dynamic mode!

Depends on your budget to be fair. I’d stay away from Armytrix though - one of the guys on here, Tony had a nightmare with it and it actually ate about 90bhp from his S5!!

Thanks for the feedback, wow I think I’ll stay away from armytrix!

I’m in two minds whether to go for the capristo or milltek or whether to get a custom setup.

I’ve yet to look at awe tuning, completely forgot about them!

Sorry to sound like a noob, but what’s ADS?

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Milltek make good products and have an excellent reputation, dont know about the other guys. Welcome and enjoy the car!!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The latest gen B8.5s are pretty well sorted with very little problems. As said big service at 35k miles, with trans oil and filter. Plugs, belts etc are 55k miles.

450bhp can be attained from just a remap!

Fuel bills are not bad for the performance and size of the car! Mine only uses a bit more than my old A5 3.0 TDI :) Same tax price too!

There are plenty of exhausts to choose from and varying prices!

My top pics are;
AWE Touring (keeps the bark and gear change crackles) Expensive option
ECS valved - Better priced, sound level can be adjusted be closing the valves
Milltek - quite a few options and a valvetronic option.

One thing to watch is with the absorptive type exhausts, is if you choose a quietish system, you loose the DSG crackles. Depends if you like this or not. The standard system will crackle as it's a reflective silenced system and the only absorptive silences being the small ones in the downpipes. Std systems with ECS x-pipe is the best exhaust mod for the money. A proper full performance system will give you a few extra horses though.

I still need to video my setup! I have a home made system which is non res downpipes into ECS X-pipe, helmholtz resonators to reduce boom/drone into custom straight through silencers with remote control valves. It does sound good and the best bit is, quiet as standard with valves closed! When open it howls! has nice subtle pops and thumps. It will thud when going on the throttle and when you lift off. Really need to get sound clips as you don't hear all the nice noises properly inside the car! :D

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Blimey Dave your set up as you describe it sound good, recordings please!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts