Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all,

Just wondering if there would be any big difference in running/repair costs between 2.0 tdi 1.8 tfsi/2.0 tfsi after 100k miles? I know the DPF's need servicing more regularly after about 115k on the tdi but is there anything else worth noting? Thanks in advance

Im looking at spending around 7k which gets about a 62-63 plate SE version of the above with a few toys.

Kind Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
People normally buy 2.0 TFSI if they do low miles..like myself :)
2.0 TDi are for long distance driving. And then you have the 3.0TDi that is long distance driving and performance.

You need to decide which category you fall under before comparing running cost ;)

If you buy a TDi and do short trips the DPF will be over in few months.

But on the subject of running cost. I have 2009 2.0TFSi with 90k on the clock. I replaced all 4 shocks couple months. These shocks died couple years ago as the MOT history was showing advisory on previous 2 MOT.
I also think TFSI would need a carbon intake cleaning at that mileage.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There's not much you can do but replace DPF with a TDI engine. You'll need to replace it much sooner if all you do is short drives.

With the gasoline engine, it's more of a silent time bomb idea. Nothing is supposed to happen, but
the timing chain might stretch --> catastrophic failure of engine, cylinder rebuild required
the timing chain tensioner might fail --> catastrophic failure of engine, cylinder rebuild required
cam bridge screen might break and block oil to the cylinder head --> catastrophic failure of engine, engine replacement required
oil pump might fail --> catastrophic failure of engine, engine replacement required
There's a new class action lawsuit gathering signature in the USA for piston failures as well --> new engine required
CVT transmission might fail -> usually not repairable, new transmission required

I only mention the above issues because they are common problems with the 2.0 TFSI engine.

For these cars to make it much past 100K, all the fluids must be changed more frequently than the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Why? manufacturers need to show low cost of ownership, so they stretch out the maintenance intervals just enough for the car to make it past warranty. Lifetime fluid = fluid will last how long the car is warrantied for

Basically, if you experience any of the problems with the engine/transmission, the repairs will cost more than the car's worth. There's a reason why used German luxury cars are so cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All, thanks for your advice!

I ended up putting a deposit on a 2.0 TDI 163 facelift (62)

Bodywork/alloys weren't amazing but the car was only 5k (lower spec SE) with 120k miles. No smoke from exhaust & it drove well.

No service history since 90k so going to get it booked in and take it for a full valet once collected next week.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a SE model and only complaint against the S-Line model is they have better sports seats. But you can still get some toys on the SE. I have Sat-Nav and power folding mirror on mine.. not that I use any of these features 😁

Since you only left deposit for the TDI just check if the clutch & DMF has been changed recenlty on that mileage. Replacing these 2 parts can setup back £1k+.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think its still on its first clutch but it felt ok to drive, I'm guessing that's why it was only 5k (that and spec is fairly low) Im thinking worst case scenario ill need to replace those and maybe timing belt soon. On the fence to be honest, also hoping the deposit is refundable in case I change my mind.... considering cancelling it and getting a nicer spec model with these bits done. If its not refundable won't be thrilled as had to put 500 down - cold feet are setting in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.