Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed their 1.8T (or any other A5 for that matter as don't know if it's this engine specifically) seems to leave a little puddle of water behind under the engine just after you start it up ?

Couple of people have pointed it out to me as I've pulled off their drives, there is a little puddle just inside and level with the right hand wheel where the car was started, and a trail to where the car is - got out and checked and it seems to be just water, not oil or hydraulic fluid or anything. Wondering if it's anything condensing or to do with the a/c (although don't use the a/c that much). Seems to be limited to just after start, as if it's blowing something out that's accumulated somewhere.

Doesn't seem to be causing any problems other than various jokes about it being only young and not potty trained yet etc etc !

Oh and btw, where on earth is the oil dipstick on the 1.8 ? It's not where the manual says it is (next to the coolant expansion tank) !

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
the water should be A/C condensate. Its quite common in most cars in places with loads of humidity isnt it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It could be A/C condensate or condensation from the engine cooling. I've never seen it on the drive after my car pulls off.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
All the AC cars I've owned have done this... it's the condenser and it's supposed to do that... When you take the moisture out of the air to provide fresh 'dry air' for the cabin, you need to do something with the water you've removed!

...Although I have to say the S5 is better than most... I think the intense heat from that thundering-great V8 evaporates the drops before they reach the ground! ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
All the AC cars I've owned have done this... it's the condenser and it's supposed to do that When you take the moisture out of the air to provide fresh 'dry air' for the cabin, you need to do something with the water you've removed!

...Although I have to say the S5 is better than most... I think the intense heat from that thundering-great V8 evaporates the drops before they reach the ground! ;)
Same thing happend in the last 2 A4s and the A2 we've had, but like Ian I haven't experienced it with the S5.

·
Registered
415 Posts
All the AC cars I've owned have done this... it's the condenser and it's supposed to do that When you take the moisture out of the air to provide fresh 'dry air' for the cabin, you need to do something with the water you've removed!
It's actually the evaporator that gets water condensation on it. The condensor coil is up near the radiator, and gets hot. The evaporator is inside the dash, and gets cold (and therefore sweaty from humid air).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's actually the evaporator that gets water condensation on it. The condensor coil is up near the radiator, and gets hot. The evaporator is inside the dash, and gets cold (and therefore sweaty from humid air).
'
Indeed, Dave you are right... let's get the semantics right!!
;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies - I figured it may be a/c related as I know it needs to do something with the water - although it seems to happen whether the a/c is on or not...?!

Didn't notice any of my previous a/c equipped cars doing it, BM/Ford/Subaru - maybe they ditched it somewhere else ! This is my first Audi.

·
Registered
871 Posts
There is no dipstick on the 1.8t. Just use the mmi to check
I must say I am a bit worried by not having a dip stick and having to trust the electronics

·
Registered
677 Posts
All of my cars have done this. Puddles may form based upon your relative humidity. If it is not below freezing we are always above 50%. This leaves puddles behind. You can just look under the car in front of you at a stop light and they are dropping water constantly.

If you ride motorcycles you learn this really quickly. Almost all LHD cars drop out of the RH side so ride in the LH side of the lane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts