Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd posted previously on a problem I felt through the clutch which was driving me mad :

1. When cold and changing gear @3000rpm or above, there could be a sharp buzz through the gearstick and clutch pedal.
2. When the car was fully warmed up - the clutch pedal would become heavy and notchy, moving up and down in small steps and creaking, like it was attached to a rusty spring.
3. Generally I feel like the clutch pedal action is just rough - feel there is too much engine and transmission vibration coming though the pedal.

After a mare with the local dealer who were always defensive, who once had it for two weeks and couldn't find anything wrong, I complained to Audi. Go to another dealer, they have it for one day and tell me I need a new box !

New box fitted, and problems 1&2 are cured, however no 3 is still there - wondering if I should press for a new clutch as well ?

Any of you guys with the 6speed manual box in petrol cars feel like the clutch isn't as damped as it should be or are you happy ? I mean I've driven Ford and Vauxhall hire cars that had more refined clutches and can't help feeling that's not right !!

Everytime I look at the car I want to drive it, but everytime I do I want to drive it straight to BMW and get my old car back. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the 1.8T since October '08, but no clutch problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
113 Posts
My clutch feels perfectly smooth (2.0t 211bhp)

However when cold it can be very hard to get it into 1st and 2nd. All other gears are effortless. After maybe 20 mins driving 1st and 2nd are perfect too though. Sometimes when cold it just will not go into 1st though and i have to take my foot off the clutch, have it back in neutral and try again.

I might bring it to the dealer next weekend but my dealer is about 30-40mins away so by the time i get there it'll be fine and he wont know what im on about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you reported the clutch problems at the same time to your dealer then its a bit stupid of them to change the gearbox and leave the original clutch in.
Hang in there, sometimes cars can be a bit problematic but its usually the dealers that give you the most stress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the car for about two months and both the clutch and gearbox are in
great condition. Also I have noticed that the gearbox is getting smoother
over time. If you want my opinion I think that your car has a defective
clutch that needs replacement.So YES you MUST push your dealer to
replace it

·
Registered
871 Posts
Had my 1.8 since last May with no clutch or gearbox issues (touch wood)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm, seems the gearbox and clutch are one unit on these cars - so it was replaced after all...

Going in again next week, at least the new dealer is a damn site more helpful than the old...

·
Registered
714 Posts
My only problems with the clutch are the RHD setup - I find I don't fully depress the clutch pedal all the time. I'm just coming up to a year in my 1.8T and just loving it more and more (I'm normally starting to think about my next car now).

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have problem like you describe OP. Mine gets that bad spring feeling when in stop start traffic for about 20 mins. It doesnt make noise or anything like that but I can just feel through the pedal the the movement isnt a smooth progression. i.e. very small sticking points within the sprung movement.
Also if driving hard, I can feel a roughness when going for a gear change and I now find myself pressing clutch with a tensed up foot in a (misguided) attempt to be gentle with the clutch.
I havent taken this up with the dealer yet as I had many more serious problems to sort first. Dont like the car at all. Ive a 1.8T RHD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hmm, seems the gearbox and clutch are one unit on these cars - so it was replaced after all...

Going in again next week, at least the new dealer is a damn site more helpful than the old...
Sorry to hear about your woes, my clutch is fine, it's the stupid anti-stall I can't get used to.:wall:

As for the 'North-east' dealers, oh dear! oh dear! The only time I'll set foot in my local dealer again, is for the refund from my 'courtesy meal for two' :cheers: from Audi. I can't wait to see the look on 'her' face behind the counter (you know who you are):deal:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts