Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the times they are hitting quarter mile - please specify any modifcations you have to your car.

I hit a 14.07. I have a Milltek Exhaust. 1 inch H&R lowering springs, and 20 inch 3 peice forged 360Forged wheels.

I launched it with the ESP/ASR off at about 5k RPMs. That was my most successful out of the three launches. Was wondering if anyone has achieved better times and how they are going about driving the car.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What was your speed at the 1/4 mark???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...BTW I've not tried revving the engine at a standstill with the ASR and ESP off... I wonder if Audi have had the forethought to allow this to disable the rev limiter for standstill? I'll try next time I take the car out... I wonder if anyone in the UK has tried this also?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I tried and my US spec car will rev to whatever in neutral or with the clutch depressed. This is with or without the ESP. I did not wait for the ASR to turn off.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi HotRed,

14.07 sounds surprisingly low if you don't mind me saying? I've only ever been on a drag strip once, in my fwd Alfa GT V6 and posted a best of 14.679 at ~96mph (see attached). I'd love to try the S5 on the strip but would have expected that with an extra 80bhp and 4wd, it would easily have been into the 13s? What were the conditions for your run?

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi HotRed,

14.07 sounds surprisingly low if you don't mind me saying? I've only ever been on a drag strip once, in my fwd Alfa GT V6 and posted a best of 14.679 at ~96mph (see attached). I'd love to try the S5 on the strip but would have expected that with an extra 80bhp and 4wd, it would easily have been into the 13s? What were the conditions for your run?
Most reviews report times in the 13's

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you have a passenger or maybe a full tank of fuel? Honestly, never go to the drag strip with 20" wheels if you can help it. All things being equal (unless they are substantially less weight than factory 19s) will slow your car down considerably. I had a 225 TT that I could do 13.6 all day long with 290bhp. The drag strip is tricky and even keeping the car cool between the drags is important. I usually get my best runs after the second run. My best runs with Quattro have been feathering the clutch on the launch. Dropping the clutch netted me the worst times.

Can anyone tell me the times they are hitting quarter mile - please specify any modifcations you have to your car.

I hit a 14.07. I have a Milltek Exhaust. 1 inch H&R lowering springs, and 20 inch 3 peice forged 360Forged wheels.

I launched it with the ESP/ASR off at about 5k RPMs. That was my most successful out of the three launches. Was wondering if anyone has achieved better times and how they are going about driving the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you have a passenger or maybe a full tank of fuel? Honestly, never go to the drag strip with 20" wheels if you can help it. All things being equal (unless they are substantially less weight than factory 19s) will slow your car down considerably. I had a 225 TT that I could do 13.6 all day long with 290bhp. The drag strip is tricky and even keeping the car cool between the drags is important. I usually get my best runs after the second run. My best runs with Quattro have been feathering the clutch on the launch. Dropping the clutch netted me the worst times.
I am sorry^ but what is "feathering the clutch"?-) I think I might have a problem in translation:D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Was on the 360Forged website today and even 20 x 10 wheels only weigh 22.3 pounds which is just over 10kg, the stock 19s weigh 18kg so still a big saving over the stock wheels.

I've seen review with quater mile times for a stock S5 and they have been in the mid 13s so with the lighter wheels and the addition of the milltek I would have thought ou would have been able to match that easily.....results are suprising to be honest.

Just to add to this a quote taken from the Road and Track review,

"If you want to triumph over time from a standing start, you dump the clutch at 4,500 rpm, sense a bit of wheelspin from the front tires followed by a stern kick from the rears, and 60 mph comes up in 4.9 seconds. You pass through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds at 104.6 mph. This compares to the 420-hp Audi RS4's 4.7-second acceleration to 60 mph and its quarter-mile pass of 13.2 seconds at 106.8 mph."

Review can be found here: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=121924

One more question from me, what tyres are you using?

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Big time loss comes from gear changes. Good drivers do it in .2 seconds. Average in .3 seconds. Great drivers do it in .1 second. I remember from my Subaru days. Same car different drivers could be 1 second difference from gear changes. Compounding the issue there was loss of boost pressure while off the throttle for so long.

From my own personal experiance I think I shift really well. However after datalogging my gear changes at .25 seconds I have plenty of room for improvement.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like weight wasn't the issue if his 20" wheels weigh in at 22lbs. Is that for their carbon wheel or Forged?

However, I wouldn't assume that every surface demands precisely the same technique for leaving from the line the quickest. That is simply not the case. It worked for R&T but what kind of surface was it? On the drag strip nearest me, there is a patch that depending on the heat of the surface could create a lot of traction. Try dumping the clutch on that (with AWD) and you likely will end up with a fried clutch. On the other hand, if you are on a surface with the ability for the wheels to slip slightly, you will get an excellent launch. Racing at the drag strip is entirely different from launching on the street.

I would like to see his 60ft times though. Getting low 1.7 - 1.9 times can be tricky but Quattro definitely helps.

Just to add to this a quote taken from the Road and Track review,

"If you want to triumph over time from a standing start, you dump the clutch at 4,500 rpm, sense a bit of wheelspin from the front tires followed by a stern kick from the rears, and 60 mph comes up in 4.9 seconds. You pass through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds at 104.6 mph. This compares to the 420-hp Audi RS4's 4.7-second acceleration to 60 mph and its quarter-mile pass of 13.2 seconds at 106.8 mph."

Review can be found here: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=121924

One more question from me, what tyres are you using?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hear you - driving a stick quickly has so much to do with the driver. In that respect, it will be nice to see the latest S-Tronic that Audi is releasing that reportedly handle much more torque and 9000 rpm. I think I shift decently, but I have also missed a few 1st to 2nd shifts on past cars in the heat of the moment. S-Tronic (with launch control) will make that experience a thing of the past, but also less involving.

Big time loss comes from gear changes. Good drivers do it in .2 seconds. Average in .3 seconds. Great drivers do it in .1 second. I remember from my Subaru days. Same car different drivers could be 1 second difference from gear changes. Compounding the issue there was loss of boost pressure while off the throttle for so long.

From my own personal experiance I think I shift really well. However after datalogging my gear changes at .25 seconds I have plenty of room for improvement.

·
Registered
383 Posts
OUCH! your poor clutch

Hi Hotrod,

With 4WD and traction control and ASR off the only thing between the 250HP @5000rpm and the stationary wheels is your clutch plate:eek:

I would recommend a rolling 5mph start and compare 1/4 mile numbers from that.

Just my 2 cents - it must have been an exhilerating ride - these cars are so fast:D :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Sounds like weight wasn't the issue if his 20" wheels weigh in at 22lbs. Is that for their carbon wheel or Forged?

However, I wouldn't assume that every surface demands precisely the same technique for leaving from the line the quickest. That is simply not the case
The weight was for the forged wheels.

Surface will have a lot to do with it, as I've seen some of these drag strips and they can be quite greasy. Even on normal roads, surfaces are less than Ideal so times are going to vary, that why i would never rely on these times as there are way too many variables which can affect the time.

I would recommend a rolling 5mph start and compare 1/4 mile numbers from that.
Is it not the point of 1/4 miles time to begin from a standing start??

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The problem with using 20" wheels on the drag strip is that your tyre sidewall will be very firm, there's not really any allowance to let some air out of the tyres in order to get a good launch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts