Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from one of the dealers i'm in contact with that they're no longer taking orders for 2008 after end of this week. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. Is something like this generally across the board between all audi dealerships?

Would you recommend waiting for 2009, i'm not exactly sure of the trade offs are and figured I would prepare my self as much as I could before I talk to him in person. I believe there will be a mark up and an increased wait time certainly is unappealing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the forum, well, not so much new as I was lurking around as a guest, so anyway, hi to everyone. I'm in Toronto, Canada and I placed an order for an A5 about 3 weeks ago. I was a little worried about the delivery time (supposed to be some time in June/July) possibly being close to model year 2009 so I raised my concern to the dealer. He then asked his superiors and confirmed that 2009 models will not be available for ordering until early next year. This is all based all the assumption that he's telling the truth of course, but so far he's been ok, so I guess I'll trust him for now. Now keep in mind that's the case for Canada, I'm not so sure about the situation in the US, but since it's also in the North American market, I'm guessing it wouldn't be too far off. I would suggest that you go to your dealer and request that they ask someone higher up to make sure. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With the last Audi order several years ago, it was possible to have next years Model Year delivered to Australia in late-November / December.

Current lead time on A5 is approx 3-4 months in Aus according to the dealer, which means MY09 shouldn't be possible to 'order' until at least August.

If you're concerned about resale value, people look at the plate (year it was brought into the country) rather than the MY. Therefore, even a MY09 will still be plated 08 and mean little if any difference in resale value in the future.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

·
Registered
536 Posts
First of all, that seems a bit ridiculous. You should be able to find a dealer in your area that can order you an A5 in around 3 months (try New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT).

However, if I am wrong, and you can't, I can only see one downside of waiting for an '09, being that because the factory closes in august, and makes the last of the '08 cars just before August, they wont start building '09 cars until the beginning of September. So, at the very least, an 09 car is going to take a month longer to get to you compared to if you ordered an '08 now, and maybe longer.

Now, of course it is always better to have a later year car, but also, Audi will be introducing around 5 new options for US bound '09 A5s and S5s.

This includes:

Comfort seats (heated and cooled seats)

Audi Lane Assist (steering wheel vibrates when you merge lanes without signaling)

Audi Hill Hold Assist (only optional on manuals... it pushes the brake for you in neutral so to make shifting to 1st gear easier when you are on a hill)

Audi Drive Dynamic (do a search for more detail, but it basically allows you to control the suspension, throttle response and steering feel)

Rear electric sunshade

So, if any of those options tickle your fancy, then you may want to opt for the '09.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, that seems a bit ridiculous. You should be able to find a dealer in your area that can order you an A5 in around 3 months (try New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT).

However, if I am wrong, and you can't, I can only see one downside of waiting for an '09, being that because the factory closes in august, and makes the last of the '08 cars just before August, they wont start building '09 cars until the beginning of September. So, at the very least, an 09 car is going to take a month longer to get to you compared to if you ordered an '08 now, and maybe longer.

Now, of course it is always better to have a later year car, but also, Audi will be introducing around 5 new options for US bound '09 A5s and S5s.

This includes:

Audi Lane Assist (steering wheel vibrates when you merge lanes without signaling)

Audi Hill Hold Assist (only optional on manuals... it pushes the brake for you in neutral so to make shifting to 1st gear easier when you are on a hill)

Audi Drive Dynamic (do a search for more detail, but it basically allows you to control the suspension, throttle response and steering feel)

Rear electric sunshade

So, if any of those options tickle your fancy, then you may want to opt for the '09.
Hmm wow, this is great information. Audi Drive Dynamic sounds cool, but other than that the other options don't interest me.

The dealer said that 09's can be delivered in August. I'm guessing this is far from the truth. The other dealership I went to never said anything about any 09 models and said they could get me the one I wanted in 3 months. So i'm not sure which I should believe.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Unless they've changed the name recently, I believe it's actually called "Audi Drive Select".

·
Registered
487 Posts

This includes:

Rear electric sunshade

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for this info. I was curious what the '09 options will bring. I'm really glad I went ahead with the '08 model. I would have preferred having the Hill Hold Assist, but in reality using the normal parking brake works just fine too.

Thanks again,
Arvin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks WillF for bringing this topic to the forum.I'm going through the same dilemma myself.I'd ordered my A5 last week of Jan '08(impulse buy) and initially I was told I'd be able to take delivery end of April.A few weeks ago I was told that the dealer finally got a build date of April 28th and I would be able to pick the car up first week of June.Now after reading Jimmyz's post,I like the "Drive Select" option..especially since I've been eyeing that option on the '09 A4.Help!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks WillF for bringing this topic to the forum.I'm going through the same dilemma myself.I'd ordered my A5 last week of Jan '08(impulse buy) and initially I was told I'd be able to take delivery end of April.A few weeks ago I was told that the dealer finally got a build date of April 28th and I would be able to pick the car up first week of June.Now after reading Jimmyz's post,I like the "Drive Select" option..especially since I've been eyeing that option on the '09 A4.Help!!!!
Certainly sounds like an interesting option! I 'm not sure. Has the Drive Select option been an expensive one in the past?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tx Did you get my e-mail re sone Guards ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.