Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Audi A5 S line 3.2 0-60mph with HD video

Hey guys I am just wondering... I have been shooting HD videos with Audi A5 S line 3.2 tiptronic and I have been noticing that the 0-60 isn't as fast as advertised. Audusa.com says the tiptronic can do 0-60mph in 5.9 which is quite fast but I am nowhere near that time.

Here’s what I have done thus far to speed up the times.

1. turned off ESP.
2. warmed up the tires before the sprint.
3. set the car in S mode on the transmission

Any ideas to speed up the time?

I have a few HD videos that I will post up later. To view them in HD click on the link below the video and then click "watch in HD"

HD found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaO5ymYJAYA

HD found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umu5LXEavFs

HD found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3nf-gMxN1o

HD found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0gN9do1kk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updated with new HD video during the daytime.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks for the vids.

...it seems like the launch is slow... 2nd and 3rd do great but it seems to tak ages to get to the red line in 1st...

Is your ASR and ESP switched off?

If you have settign for the shift, is it set to sport?

Are you manually changing, or letting the tip do it for you at the redline? (if it does that?)

...finally, in some auto tip cars, they can be made to be faster by either holding the brake whilst the revs are spun round to 4k or so and then let the brake go, or by spinning the revs to 4k and engaging 1st... However, any auto I've driven it doesn't seem to make any different and I'm always worried about 'breaking' something like that!

It's pretty rapid in-gear though. Impressed!

Ian.:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the vids.

...it seems like the launch is slow... 2nd and 3rd do great but it seems to tak ages to get to the red line in 1st...

Is your ASR and ESP switched off?

If you have settign for the shift, is it set to sport?

Are you manually changing, or letting the tip do it for you at the redline? (if it does that?)

...finally, in some auto tip cars, they can be made to be faster by either holding the brake whilst the revs are spun round to 4k or so and then let the brake go, or by spinning the revs to 4k and engaging 1st... However, any auto I've driven it doesn't seem to make any different and I'm always worried about 'breaking' something like that!

It's pretty rapid in-gear though. Impressed!

Ian.:)
I have both ASR and ESP disabled. I have set the transmission to Sport or "S" mode and I have let the engine warm to get the oil moving (it was about 25F during the video) and I have warmed the tires.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Any ideas to speed up the time?
Do the test when you have just a small amount of fuel in the tank (i.e., to reduce weight).

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The UK brochures show 0-62mph (100kph)

FWD M6 6.6 secs
QUATTRO 6.1 secs
Tip Q 6.4 secs

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do the test when you have just a small amount of fuel in the tank (i.e., to reduce weight).
I thought about that, but if the only time my car can accelerate quickly is at empty then there isn't much point.

The UK brochures show 0-62mph (100kph)

FWD M6 6.6 secs
QUATTRO 6.1 secs
Tip Q 6.4 secs
I checked on audiusa.com and found this:

That’s strait from Audi. I would figure they would be a good source for accurate information. even 6.4 seconds to 62mph is dramatically faster than my times.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been wondering if my tires might be slowing things down. the temperature was 24-25F during the videos and I am still using my stock dunlop summer tires. I know that summer tires harden and loose traction when temps go below freezing but could the lack of traction slow me down that much?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. Been a long time reader, no A5 yet but hope to be an owner in the near future.

I could be wrong, but my guess is altitude. You're in Utah, correct? I thought most of Utah was well above sea level (mean altitude of 6k) That would certainly affect the performance of any car. Combined with the summer tires in cold (anything below 40F and you're riding on hockey pucks), I bet these are the two major things causing slow times.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi. Been a long time reader, no A5 yet but hope to be an owner in the near future.

I could be wrong, but my guess is altitude. You're in Utah, correct? I thought most of Utah was well above sea level (mean altitude of 6k) That would certainly affect the performance of any car. Combined with the summer tires in cold (anything below 40F and you're riding on hockey pucks), I bet these are the two major things causing slow times.
One more reason to hate Utah. j/k. I am not sure if they have changed anything at the dealer to adjust for the altitude.

I think its time to move to Hawaii.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
How intriguing . Figures from UK website show 0-100kph (62mph) pasted below as 6.1 for M6 and 6.4 for the Auto. The American post is odd as 100kph is not 6omph unless american miles are smaller like your gallons??

3.2 FSI quattro® V6 3197 265 330/3000-5000 6-speed manual 213 6.1 155 16E
3.2 FSI quattro® V6 3197 265 330/3000-5000 tiptronic 215 6.4 155 16E

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How intriguing . Figures from UK website show 0-100kph (62mph) pasted below as 6.1 for M6 and 6.4 for the Auto. The American post is odd as 100kph is not 6omph unless american miles are smaller like your gallons??

3.2 FSI quattro® V6 3197 265 330/3000-5000 6-speed manual 213 6.1 155 16E
3.2 FSI quattro® V6 3197 265 330/3000-5000 tiptronic 215 6.4 155 16E
My logic to the difference in the posted times are either:

A. The times are whatever audi needs them to be to sell cars in that market.j/k
or
B. Because U.S. and Europe (UK) have different requirements on emissions, regulations, and laws on cars in their own region, the US and UK might have different performance due the different requirements and laws on cars in their area.

I am only guessing but I could see how that would happen. Or maybe its a trade off... I mean you have "top gear" natively over there so it's only fair that our audis be faster to make up the difference of no top gear here.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Are you refering to the Jeremy (Cock) Clarkson Top Gear?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think I have it!

...I notice from the odometer, you've covered about 1,100 mile in your car (or is it even 100 miles?? difficult to see)

Your car will get noticeably ( 1/2 to 1 second ) quicker by the time it's done around 5k miles. I suspect this is the main reason you are not seeing the figures you expect.

...try again at 3,000 miles and see the diference!

Ian. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
...I notice from the odometer, you've covered about 1,100 mile in your car (or is it even 100 miles?? difficult to see)

Your car will get noticeably ( 1/2 to 1 second ) quicker by the time it's done around 5k miles. I suspect this is the main reason you are not seeing the figures you expect.

I am only at about 680-700 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for the help. I will wait till miles are higher.

·
Registered
31 Posts

How does the car get quicker after 3k miles? What parts are more "worn in" that makes it quicker? I've never heard of this. I have 5k miles on mine & seems the same to me.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I am only at about 680-700 miles on the odometer.

Thanks for the help. I will wait till miles are higher.
Ian's correct. Your engine's far from broken in. I personally wouldnt be thrashing it like that at 680-700miles!

3000miles+ and you'll certainly start feeling a difference.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ian's correct. Your engine's far from broken in. I personally wouldnt be thrashing it like that at 680-700miles!

3000miles+ and you'll certainly start feeling a difference.
I dont really romp on it normally, but after owning the car for about a month and never going over 4000 rpm was killing me. Before 600 miles i kept the car below 4000rpm, always gave proper time to warm up before driving (oil temp), and never went more than 80mph, but I thought that I read in the manual that you could at least go full rpm after 600 miles. I still let the motor/ oil temp warm up before doing the sprints in the vids. I just wanted to see the performance.

I will try again later and report back here with more vids.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.