1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smokey Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 21st April 2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Wanting to track my car

Ive just purchased a b8.5 s5 54 thousand miles and i want to take it on track i have never driven on track in anything 1) what track prep will i need to do to for the car 2) what do i need to do to prep for track get lessons or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2 of 9 Old 21st April 2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Garage
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.
SimonRoma likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 22nd April 2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.

Yeah that makes sence il start with that and see how deep the pocksts want to go cheers

post #4 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :-)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!

S5 Sportback MY2013/B8.5 + Brembo 380mm BBK + 034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar and Transmission Mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankan View Post
If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :-)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!

I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines

post #6 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:41 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdebono1 View Post
I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines

You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.

Bolt-on upgrades for your vehicle.
Improve the look & feel of your car, without breaking the bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
Email:
post #7 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngolWorks - Eamonn View Post
You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.

Its the dust the stock pads are terrible for dust id would like to have some less haha ruins the 5 spoke rotas
Would green stuff just be on par with stock pads?

post #8 of 9 Old 27th April 2019, 09:23 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)

Garage
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

post #9 of 9 Old 27th April 2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.

Yeah of course I didnít want to blow it because it is my daily driver but i was going to take it to my shop and give it extra tlc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List