Wanting to track my car - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smokey Joe
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 21st April 2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Wanting to track my car

Ive just purchased a b8.5 s5 54 thousand miles and i want to take it on track i have never driven on track in anything 1) what track prep will i need to do to for the car 2) what do i need to do to prep for track get lessons or something?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesdebono1 is offline  
post #2 of 9 Old 21st April 2019, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Smokey Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
 
Garage
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.
SimonRoma likes this.
Smokey Joe is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 22nd April 2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.


Yeah that makes sence il start with that and see how deep the pocksts want to go cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesdebono1 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :-)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!

S5 Sportback MY2013/B8.5 + Brembo 380mm BBK + 034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar and Transmission Mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mankan is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankan View Post
If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :-)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!


I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesdebono1 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:41 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor
 
IngolWorks - Eamonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,108
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdebono1 View Post
I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.

Bolt-on upgrades for your vehicle.
Improve the look & feel of your car, without breaking the bank.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IngolWorks - Eamonn is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 24th April 2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngolWorks - Eamonn View Post
You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.


Its the dust the stock pads are terrible for dust id would like to have some less haha ruins the 5 spoke rotas
Would green stuff just be on par with stock pads?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesdebono1 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 27th April 2019, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
SimonRoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Roma and Amalfi, Italy
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
 
Garage
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SimonRoma is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 27th April 2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.


Yeah of course I didnít want to blow it because it is my daily driver but i was going to take it to my shop and give it extra tlc


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesdebono1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie here wanting advice on vcds error code Ads1212 Audi A5/S5 Tech DIY 0 25th May 2018 07:02 PM
Wanting RS5 sytle grille Chad Mayer 2 A5 General Q&A 13 18th January 2018 11:24 PM
Anyone here wanting to sell their A5?? Magpie2121 A5 General Q&A 2 26th April 2014 05:26 AM
New owner wanting xenons and LED SpunkehMunkey A5 Performance & Mods 5 1st March 2014 09:36 AM
Waiting..........wanting Quasimodo S5 General Q&A 3 31st March 2008 09:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome