Rear sway bar - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 16th June 2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Rear sway bar

I've have been tracking my S5 Sportback MY2013 for almost 6 years now. The last 3 years with a Brembo BBK. Now I'd like to reduce the understeer a bit. My car has the adaptive suspension and no rear sports diff.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm thinking I only need to change the rear sway bar.

S5 Sportback MY2013/B8.5 + Brembo 380mm BBK + 034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar and Transmission Mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 31 Old 16th June 2018, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)

Garage
Not really sure what you mean Mankan, please explain better.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 17th June 2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking to improve handling of my car on the track. I think changing to a stiffer rear sway bar would help to reduce understeer in corners.
Does this sound like a good idea? If, so any recommendations of which sway bar to purchase?

If not, please educate me.

S5 Sportback MY2013/B8.5 + Brembo 380mm BBK + 034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar and Transmission Mount

post #4 of 31 Old 17th June 2018, 04:59 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)

Garage
Front strut braces seem pretty affordable, I'd start there. Not a clue about sway bars though, I haven't seen one for these cars yet, but I'm sure they exist.

Bolt-on upgrades for your vehicle.
Improve the look & feel of your car, without breaking the bank.

WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
Email:
post #5 of 31 Old 17th June 2018, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Garage
There are probably a few American companies that offer their own brand of ARB's (sway bars) but in Europe H&R seem to be the tops closely followed by Eibach.

Personally I would do front and rear, I know that the rear on it's own will achieve what you desire but probably leaning towards oversteer, a matched (balanced) front and rear bar set up will give your required result without going too far the other way.
Do not forget to change the drop links (aka end links) at the same time, the OE links are not up to the job with bigger diameter bars and would also give you more ability to fine tune the bars.
SimonRoma likes this.

2008 2.0 ltr TFSi Sport

ECS intake pipe, Pipercross filter, R8 red tops, 15mm (F) & 20mm (R) spacers, -35mm Springs, Eccentric, Poly, upper control arm bushes, Debadged and Dechromed, OEM Audi body kit (lip spoiler, side skirts, diffuser and bumper spoilers, boot lip spoiler.

Have the parts to do:-
Full RS5 Piano black trim, RS5 pedal set and foot rest, ECS oil catch can kit.
post #6 of 31 Old 18th June 2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Standard procedure is that a stiffer rear bar, moving roll resistance to the rear will decrease understeer. This has been done over and over on TTs that are track driven. On a TT the OEM front bar is usually adequate. On an S5 my instincts say that it would be also. It’s a shame you don’t have the sport diff. It works wonders. Like an invisible hand rotating the car in the desired direction.
Envy your Big Brake Kit. I’ll have to do that if I ever start tracking the S5 instead of the old TT.

Y'all Have a Great Day!

J. Patterson
Alabama
post #7 of 31 Old 19th June 2018, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Garage
Rear ARB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankan View Post
I've have been tracking my S5 Sportback MY2013 for almost 6 years now. The last 3 years with a Brembo BBK. Now I'd like to reduce the understeer a bit. My car has the adaptive suspension and no rear sports diff.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm thinking I only need to change the rear sway bar.
I've been looking into this too and there's quite a bit of info if you search on here- so I want to fit the 034 Motorsports one (rear only is recommended by some) that's if I can find one over here, as they are USA made & only imported & Edit: used to be.. available in the UK from Awesome GTI: 034 Motorsport Adjustable 25.4mm Solid Rear Anti Roll Bar.
SimonRoma and 79One like this.

A5 3.0 TDi quattro Coupe SE, S-line.
Deep Sea Blue, S-Tronic, 3G+MMI Nav, B&0, DAB, Bass Amp & Sub, AMI, Cruise, HBA+ auto dim RVM, Xenon Plus, LED DRL's & Fogs, 20% tints, Rear ARB & links, H&R Sports Springs.
RS5 pedals & door pulls, RS5 Body kit, BSR Custom Tuned to 333hp. FL tails & LEDs, Alcantara Starlite Elec Mem seats, custom wheel, Black Optics, 20" Alloys, S5 BBK with ceramic pads, Sunroof & folding Mirrors. Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly..

Last edited by Pulsarlaser; 5th October 2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #8 of 31 Old 19th June 2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Garage
I have the 034 Motorsports rear swaybar - no complaints.
I suggest looking at the CR-15 Canyon Run front strut brace as a cheap addition too (search for it on this forum).
post #9 of 31 Old 24th June 2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)

034Motorsport will have the thickest rear ARB (adjustable) available along with end links for both front and rear (recommended).
Both Eibach, KW and H&R have ARB's too and I'd recommend H&R as theirs are the stiffest and the front is adjustable.

Finally you can look at Eurocode and get their USS. The 034M is a copy of their rear bar IMO and Eurocode have a set that comes with both front and rear along with end links. You can also get their Alu Kreuz under engine subframe plate to stiffen it up. (034M has a similar brace).

The B8 is getting on a bit for age and there is a myriad of aftermarket options if you just google your way!

I personally ran with a 034 rear bar and end links, it was STIFF! Driving on icy roads the rear would step out on me, perhaps a bit to my surprise sometimes, but the chassis seem relatively nicely balanced and it was very progressive. I suspect running it in the softest setting will be better for the road. I'm now running H&R as a set but haven't driven it in anger yet to be able to come with a relevant comparison.

Regards

2009 3.0Tdi Quattro Tiptronic, XenonzUK RS5 front, ABT sideskirt, Milltek Sport. OEM RS5 st.wheel, S5 interior.
KW DDC HLS4, H&R arb, Powerflex bushings. Eurocode Alu Kreuz, SPC UAC, 034motorsport endlinks.
AWE intake, Darkside Developments intercooler/hybrid turbo/downpipe.

post #10 of 31 Old 4th July 2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I've ordered the 034 rear bar. Starting with fresh original (Bilstein) end links and the soft setting when I get it. According to 034 their end links can cause increased chassi noise.

post #11 of 31 Old 6th July 2018, 02:21 PM

Garage
OK, great - please do let us know how you get on, as I'm still undecided, thanks.

Deep Sea Blue, S-Tronic, 3G+MMI Nav, B&0, DAB, Bass Amp & Sub, AMI, Cruise, HBA+ auto dim RVM, Xenon Plus, LED DRL's & Fogs, 20% tints, Rear ARB & links, H&R Sports Springs.
RS5 pedals & door pulls, RS5 Body kit, BSR Custom Tuned to 333hp. FL tails & LEDs, Alcantara Starlite Elec Mem seats, custom wheel, Black Optics, 20" Alloys, S5 BBK with ceramic pads, Sunroof & folding Mirrors. Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly..

Last edited by Pulsarlaser; 28th July 2018 at 05:18 AM.
post #12 of 31 Old 7th July 2018, 07:19 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Dumb question coming up please, as a non-track car fellow. If I aim to use my road car on a race track then would I set my road car suspension harder, so for instance with the sway bar you are talking about here, and then remove it or switch it off for when I drive home or to the office???? Or are you talking about a set up which then is good for road as well as track use???

My track motorbike is so heavily modified that you could never ride it to work, cos we remove the cooling fan (for instance) so overheating in traffic would be certain and also the suspension settings would make road use impossible.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

post #13 of 31 Old 6th August 2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I spent the day trying to mount it but had to give up. I cannot get bar past the lower wide wheel arm (correct term?) since it does not flex as the OEM one. I tried to loosen the gas damper and level sensor and use a crow bar to force it down without any success.

One option would be to loosen the flat iron rod cross that holds the exhaust and gas tank but those screws are really stuck and I fear I will brake something if trying harder. Loosen those could give enough room to twist the bar since it might be able to move the exhaust a bit more.

Yes, I have the rear wheels hanging in the air and I have also removed to rear exhaust holding nuts to let the exhaust and mufflers sag a bit.

Any advice?

post #14 of 31 Old 6th August 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Dumb question coming up please, as a non-track car fellow. If I aim to use my road car on a race track then would I set my road car suspension harder, so for instance with the sway bar you are talking about here, and then remove it or switch it off for when I drive home or to the office???? Or are you talking about a set up which then is good for road as well as track use???

My track motorbike is so heavily modified that you could never ride it to work, cos we remove the cooling fan (for instance) so overheating in traffic would be certain and also the suspension settings would make road use impossible.
Sway bars aren't readily removable. Some are adjustable and can be adjusted so with a bit of spannering at home but usually they are set and forget.

Regards
SimonRoma likes this.

2009 3.0Tdi Quattro Tiptronic, XenonzUK RS5 front, ABT sideskirt, Milltek Sport. OEM RS5 st.wheel, S5 interior.
KW DDC HLS4, H&R arb, Powerflex bushings. Eurocode Alu Kreuz, SPC UAC, 034motorsport endlinks.

post #15 of 31 Old 6th August 2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I spent the day trying to mount it but had to give up. I cannot get bar past the lower wide wheel arm (correct term?) since it does not flex as the OEM one. I tried to loosen the gas damper and level sensor and use a crow bar to force it down without any success.

One option would be to loosen the flat iron rod cross that holds the exhaust and gas tank but those screws are really stuck and I fear I will brake something if trying harder. Loosen those could give enough room to twist the bar since it might be able to move the exhaust a bit more.

Yes, I have the rear wheels hanging in the air and I have also removed to rear exhaust holding nuts to let the exhaust and mufflers sag a bit.

Any advice?
Most DIY's I've read says it is tight back there and they all say to remove the exhaust or at the very least undo the hangers for the rear so they can be lowered a fair bit. At some point though you have to throw in the towel if you find yourself disassembling the whole rear of the car :/

Good luck

post #16 of 31 Old 6th August 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks all, I've ordered the 034 rear bar. Starting with fresh original (Bilstein) end links and the soft setting when I get it. According to 034 their end links can cause increased chassi noise.
Have their end links too. The noise is a muted clunk or a thud when you take a hill or a crest at an angle and put tension on the rear sway. It's not loud or anything but can be disconcerting since the B8 chassis is so nicely insulated inside.

I'll add to this that I only, and only! notice this when I leave my flats underground parking garage. It has a steep uphill + a 90 degree sharp turn at the same time which causes tension on the rear as I take on this hill/turn. I've never noticed the thud whilst driving so I don't really give it much thought.

Having added an E46 M3 to the "fleet" (cue cringe face) and once you experience the rear diff on that you'll truly know what driveline and chassis noise is.

In the end, my opinion is that the tiny bit of added noise is nothing to take into account if you are going for this handling upgrade in the first place. If you want comfort stick with the OEM sway and links or go full aftermarket and be fat'n'happy..

Regards
SimonRoma and Pulsarlaser like this.

post #17 of 31 Old 8th August 2018, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Well the terms "comfort" and "performance" are never really gonna sit together very easily. The standard A5 is IMHO an amazing compromise. BUT if that is not fast enough for you then of course the alternatives are noisier and or less comfortable. But that is surely par for the course. A track bike is stripped of all of the extras like headlights and stuff so the weight is reduced to the minimum, then a massive radiator is added and the fan and stuff is removed so that the engine runs cooler when at speed and then you must switch off as soon as you stop, then the seat is replaced by a plank to save weight and so on. Comfort is NOT a priority!!.
Mr.wreckless likes this.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.

post #18 of 31 Old 27th August 2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Here is an update from my side. I have spent the last weeks mailing back and forth with 034 Motorsport and sent pictures from my car as well as digging in ETKA. The conclusion is that the sway bar should fit but I would need to remove the rear parts of the exhaust. Their instructions says its enough with just removing the rear bolts and let the end pipes and silencer sag a bit.

On a Sportback this is not enough due to the panhard rods (unique for the Sportback) that keeps the exhaust in place as well. And I guess that they needs loosening in the rear (two rear screws on each) to be able to remove the rear exhaust or maybe the exhaust can sag enough with the rods loosened.

Any advice for this operation?
Are the panhard rods in tension so they will come at you when loosening? And will be hard to get in place again?
Also the M12 XZN screws are really tight. I guess some kind of impact driver is recommended. Torque/Loctite when reattaching them? Buy new screws?

post #19 of 31 Old 27th August 2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Here is an update from my side. I have spent the last weeks mailing back and forth with 034 Motorsport and sent pictures from my car as well as digging in ETKA. The conclusion is that the sway bar should fit but I would need to remove the rear parts of the exhaust. Their instructions says its enough with just removing the rear bolts and let the end pipes and silencer sag a bit.

On a Sportback this is not enough due to the panhard rods (unique for the Sportback) that keeps the exhaust in place as well. And I guess that they needs loosening in the rear (two rear screws on each) to be able to remove the rear exhaust or maybe the exhaust can sag enough with the rods loosened.

Any advice for this operation?
Are the panhard rods in tension so they will come at you when loosening? And will be hard to get in place again?
Also the M12 XZN screws are really tight. I guess some kind of impact driver is recommended. Torque/Loctite when reattaching them? Buy new screws?
Can't help you much I'm afraid, allegedly Audi's are a bit complicated to wrench on so I've always left mine to a professional. I'm on first name terms with everyone on the shop floor and on the managers Christmas Card list

With regards to tightening torque: I see especially US DIY's refer to them religiously, and whereas I can understand that sentiment for more sensitive parts with gaskets, I don't really see the massive big deal with more basic stuff, the standard "gut'n'tight' seem to suffice for many. You're swedish so have probably swapped over wheels for winter/spring, have you ever tightened the lug nuts to a torque specification before? I haven't.. I don't see the big deal, I think torquing to spec is mostly to be able to undo the stuff without great bother, loctite is a nice thing for peace of mind IMO.

Regards

post #20 of 31 Old 28th August 2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Well torque specs+Loctite info would give me a clue how much force I would need to get the screws loosened.
But there are tables for that one can look it up in. I have my wheels removed more than twice a year since I go through 2-3 sets of brake pads each track season and swap for the winter (track pads are scary when cold and wet) but I actually use torque wrench for the wheels but the torque for the calipers are in my hands :-)
post #21 of 31 Old 2nd September 2018, 10:05 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Garage
I also run the 034 rear sway bar. It's absolutely fantastic. I daily drive and leave it on the stiffer setting. It's greatly increased over steer especially in turns, but never to the point of spinning out. Not that I've really tried either lol

I think the 034 is the best option, or one of, if you're keeping the front sway bar stock.
mankan and julianwhitta like this.

'09 4.2L V8 Manual || Custom 2.5" exhaust with 3.2L V6 S-Line rear valence conversion || JHM "Solid" short throw & shifter linkage || 034Motorsport solid rear sway bar, control arms, transmission mount, transmission insert, silicon intake tube, strut mounts || 15mm front / 20mm rear spacers || ST Suspensions coil overs || RS style honeycombe grilles || SportShifters kit || K&N air filter because racecar
post #22 of 31 Old 5th September 2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

See my .sig and look at this post I just added to the S5 General Q&A thread for how to neutralize your understeer as best you can.
mankan and Pulsarlaser like this.

2010 S5, Brilliant Red, 6MT, Sport Rr Diff, H&R OE Sport Springs, Eurocode Tuning Fr/Rr sway bars, Eurocode Tuning Adjustable End Links, Eurocode Tuning Alu Kreuz, CR-15 Canyon Run strut tower brace, VCDS customizations, AWE Track Exhaust with Resonated DPs, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19 on 19x9.5 ET +32 wheels
post #23 of 31 Old 8th October 2018, 08:12 AM

Garage
Mankan did you finally get it fitted okay- any advice?

Have now found another UK option- anyone tried this one?
It's not too pricey as it's available for us here in the UK- and it's the same thickness as 034 Motorsports:

Hardrace Rear Anti-Roll Bar: (25.4mm) - Audi A4 B8 ('08-14), A5/S5 8T ('07+)
Droplinks: A4 8K/S4/A5 8T/ S5/Q5 8R REAR REINFORCED STAB. LINK 2PCS 7825 A4/S4/A5/Q5
REAR REIN STAN. LINK 2PCS

Currently available imported from H-Tune in Northants, UK- so am now considering this fitted with their
Pillowball alloy droplinks.
[email protected]

Last edited by Pulsarlaser; 12th January 2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: info updated
post #24 of 31 Old 8th October 2018, 09:36 AM

Not tried it but be aware that =thickness does not mean =stiffness, construction, mass etc have a say in how stiff it will be.

Regards

post #25 of 31 Old 8th October 2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

@Pulsarlaser: No its not fitted yet. I'll post an update when that happens.

post #26 of 31 Old 8th October 2018, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsarlaser View Post
Mankan did you finally get it fitted okay- any advice?

Have now found another UK option- anyone tried this one?
It's not too pricey as it's available for us here in the UK- and it's the same thickness as 034 Motorsports:

Hardrace Rear Anti-Roll Bar (25.4mm) - Audi A4 B8 ('08-14), A5/S5 8T ('07+)

Currently available from H-Tune in Northants, so am now considering this fitted with the 034 droplinks.
I noticed them too - asked a few days ago but no answer. Someone on audisport said they were good though. 380 for the bar and drop links is great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wreckless View Post
Not tried it but be aware that =thickness does not mean =stiffness, construction, mass etc have a say in how stiff it will be.

Regards
I emailed a Hardrace distributor and they said although it's hollow the construction means it should be as stiff as a solid bar
post #27 of 31 Old 9th October 2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any trouble mounting the H&R front sway bars? Heard the bottom plastic may need to be cut to accommodate it, but that was on a cabrio. Thanks
post #28 of 31 Old 15th October 2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Garage
So from experience you are not going to reduce understeer with a bigger rear bar, you may just get the rear to kick out a bit but thats it. These cars dive into turns but you can use this to your advantage at the track. What i recommend is a better set of coilovers like Olins and a track alingnment.

2008 coupe manual, H&R sway bars front and rear-custom eurocode endlink fornt spherical bushing rear,Miltek sport non-resonated exhaust with downpipes, RS5 grill,stratmosphere short shifter, Stoptech 380 bbk carbotech xp12 front rear, Olins track coilovers,APR supercharger Apr cold air intake, TTRS flat bottomed steering wheel, custom separate reservoir clutch fluid, BBS chr wheel with advan neovas, RS5 oval tailpipes, Recaro CS seats with Schroth racing harness, K40 radar front rear
post #29 of 31 Old 28th January 2019, 01:10 AM

Garage
Rear Hardrace bar & Pillowball links fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebsy View Post
I noticed them too - asked a few days ago but no answer. Someone on audisport said they were good though. 380 for the bar and drop links is great value.

I emailed a Hardrace distributor and they said although it's hollow the construction means it should be as stiff as a solid bar
I finally decided on the Hardrace rear ARB & Alloy Pillowball Droplinks and ordered it on Black Friday (it took 3 weeks to arrive)- fitted it last week as my exhaust was already off- discovered one of my original droplinks was soon to be in need of replacing anyway- now it corners like it's on rails and the rear stays completely firm & level (low to the ground) when cornering heavily, so I love it.
Had to soak the nuts tightly bound with some fabric soaked with WD40 for a few hours before they could be cracked, and as my Coupe has been lowered (H&R OE Sports Springs), the access was only a few mm for ratcheting, so patience was paramount.

post #30 of 31 Old 28th January 2019, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsarlaser View Post
I finally decided on the Hardrace rear ARB & Alloy Pillowball Droplinks and ordered it on Black Friday (it took 3 weeks to arrive)- fitted it last week as my exhaust was already off- discovered one of my original droplinks was soon to be in need of replacing anyway- now it corners like it's on rails and the rear stays completely firm & level (low to the ground) when cornering heavily, so I love it.
Had to soak the nuts tightly bound with some fabric soaked with WD40 for a few hours before they could be cracked, and as my Coupe has been lowered (H&R OE Sports Springs), the access was only a few mm for ratcheting, so patience was paramount. :-)
I got one too (also on black Friday) - just the sway bar though, not the drop links. Don't have much point of reference to compare but really pleased with the handling now too - it's a lot more settled in fast corners. Seems great value, especially on the BF deal.
Pulsarlaser likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List