LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 16th May 2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2012 v later S5 models

Hey guys , So i'm looking for an S5 V6

Seen a mix of 2012 and 2014 or 2015 models

Are there any advantages of going for a newer S5 v a slightly older one such as a 2012 model ?

Read the gearboxes were revised at a certain year ?

Is there any major differences in spec or any known faults put right on newer models ?

Also I have a question about warranty , if I bought an S5 with full Audi history but the warranty has expired can I buy a used warranty from Audi like you can with BMW ?

Any advice appreciated

Last edited by S5Nut; 16th May 2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #2 of 16 Old 16th May 2019, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)

Garage
Hello mate, you need to search on here and there are MANY existing S5 threads to answer all of your questions. Good luck!! Simon

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 16th May 2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Garage
I believe the last and most stable revision for b8.5 was start of 2013, cant tell you any particulars, but im sure someone here will be able to tell you more details shortly, as for the warranty i dont know how it is in us as majority of people seem to have one, but in uk they only give you a standard year warranty and its up to you what to do afterwards
SimonRoma and S5Nut like this.

S5 3.0T Quattro Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Ibis White 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, Bluetooth, AMI, 20" Gloss Black 7 Double Spokes, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise Control, Black Leather Heated Electric Memory Seats, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Panoramic Sunroof, Tinted Windows
post #4 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Dave Kwatro started a thread recently asking about the different versions where Dippy gave some good advice.
post #5 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)

Yep, I went for a post May 2014 model which has the revised 4th gen CREC engine.

2013 saw the 3rd gen DL501 s-tronic, this has the previous issues ironed out.

CREC engine May 2014 onwards has had a lot of updates, see my threads where Dippy posted a link to the Audi information brochure on the updates.
Basically, it use slightly less fuel, revised fueling with an extra set of MPI injectors in the intake, this makes the idle quieter without the clicking of the high pressure direct injectors. These injectors come in at higher revs.
The supercharger is revised with a magnetic clutch so not driven all the time to aid mpg further. But some say when tuning the clutch can be an issue, we will see!! But looking at the new specs, the drive belt is uprated and higher tensile spec to cope with the SC clutch coming in and out, so it maybe belt slippage rather than clutch slipping. Also has an 'overdemand protection' where the ECU will disengage the clutch if it thinks it has been over used! I'm concerned at how the threshold is set on this!
The supercharger also has revised higher efficiency charge coolers.
Revised timing chains for smoother quieter running
Revised oil cooler
Switchable water pump which doesn't run below 30 degrees to warm the engine quicker - it then switches/pulses on and off to aid cold/hot water mixing more gently.
Revised cylinder liners
Revised oil sump baffle to prevent oil surge under acceleration and braking
Tax is also lower now (same as my old 3.0TDi!!
There is more stuff!

Mine is going into Audi for a recall to check the fuel rail, which one I'm not sure and whether this is just the CREC engine. Dippy has had his from new and not received the recall notice yet, so think it might not be an issue, just more of a check.

But the pre May 2014 engine is still a good engine and possibly better given the 'possible' limits of the supercharger clutch.

I was looking at a 62 plate with dynamic suspension, steering, sport diff, but opted for the newer one and haven't looked back. Maybe when I start pushing it I may regret not having a sport diff, but it drives round bends better than my 3.0tdi sport, and feels quite positive and direct.

Good luck!

S5 - Standard, but not for long...

2014 Audi S5 - current
2009 Audi a5 3.0TDi Tip Sport
2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDi
2004 MG ZT 190 2.5 V6
1997 BMW 328i Coupe M Sport
1994 Rover Coupe Turbo Targa top (Tomcat)
1988 Peugeot 1.9 GTi
1982 Metro 1.3s (MG herringbone/velour seats)
1984 Talbot Solara 1.6
Yamaha R6 - Gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dave Kwatro; 17th May 2019 at 01:27 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)

Garage
The pre-CREC engine was susceptible to timing chain problems at higher mileage. The timing chains were revised in the CREC so hopefully they're OK but only time will tell.

The s-tronic gearbox is indeed the biggest worry because it can be very expensive to repair/replace. By far the most problem reports are for the original version in 2009-2011 cars. But there have been a fair number of reports for the second version in 2011-2013 cars. I have only seen 1 or 2 problem reports from 2013+ cars but it is not clear if they had the second or third version gearbox because we don't have hard data on the dates. From my best efforts in researching it I believe the first revision was sometime in 2011, and I have reasons to believe (but I could be wrong) that the second revision was in May 2013.

I advise that the risk of gearbox problems is the most important reason to prefer 2014/5 cars over a 2012 one. Of course the 2012 car might be fine - not everyone has gearbox problems, and with forums being what they are, seeing the problem reports can give an exaggerated sense of how bad the risk is. If you could find a 2012 car with great options list and a good price then it might be worth taking a risk with the gearbox. Then of course there's the extended warranty route.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #7 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

guys many thanks for the info so far in this thread ! some gems of information , much appreciated!

I've had 2nd hand BMW approved cars and always carried on with the warranty , I've read even if out of warranty you can purchase another one provided it has full BMW service history

Is this the case with the audi? , if I bought a private car or from on non audi trader , then rang audi for a 2nd hand warranty can you buy them ? any idea on costs for this ?

With BMW it was around £60 a month

It would give me peace of mind and can broaden my search rather than finding an example at an Audi dealer
post #8 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)

Garage
Iíve not heard of anyone on this forum reporting that Audi do that, but why not call Audi UK Customer Care and ask them. The number is 0800 699888 and email is [email protected]
Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
S5Nut likes this.

Dan.

Current - A5 (B9) 2.0TFSI Sportback quattro - 252PS - Daytona Grey
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Coupe Blk Ed+ S-Tronic - Daytona Grey
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro, Blk Ed, S-Tronic - Glacier
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Sport Coupe - Silver
post #9 of 16 Old 17th May 2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

You can buy extended warranty from Audi. Thread here for reference.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...one-it.373688/
S5Nut likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 18th May 2019, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)

Garage
Just take care that any S5 you buy definitely has had a service history according to the schedule required by an extended warranty. The gearbox service is one of those which is at the longer duration and can be missed, including by dealers (hard to believe but true) and I have read of cases where someone has bought a car on the basis that it had a full service history but then later found out that the gearbox had not been serviced on time. My advice is to get a copy of the service invoice which proves that the gearbox service was done.
S5Nut likes this.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #11 of 16 Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys ! I have emailed Audi too will feedback their reply
post #12 of 16 Old Today, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Had an email back from Audi forwarding the following link , so its good you can buy a warranty if purchasing 2nd hand from a non audi dealer or private
post #13 of 16 Old Today, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I cant post the link due to my post count
post #14 of 16 Old Today, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Garage
Are you us or eu? How much are they charging for such a wonderful thing? 🙂

S5 3.0T Quattro Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Ibis White 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, Bluetooth, AMI, 20" Gloss Black 7 Double Spokes, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise Control, Black Leather Heated Electric Memory Seats, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Panoramic Sunroof, Tinted Windows
post #15 of 16 Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5Nut View Post
I cant post the link due to my post count
This one?
Audi Warranty Q2B Landing Page
S5Nut likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Yep thats the one thanks

Your looking over £1000 for a no excess policy , cheaper if you pay £250 excess which brings it down around £750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode