Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 B9 Service Intervals

11K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  KidLoco46 
#1 ·
I've done nearly 12,000 miles in it's first year, but it still shows 6,500 miles to next oil change or 380 days ...!!! Seems like a long service interval.

Is this right?

#3 ·
If you're on the variable long-life service schedule, then it is 19,000 miles or 2 years. Funnily enough, I've got the opposite problem... Mine is on variable yet my service has come up needing oil change at 10300 miles! Go figure?!

#5 ·
no, no :)
you can be on a dynamic long-life schedule or on a fixed schedule.
in both cases your car will tell you, when service / maintenance is due.
and if you want to know how close you are, you can find it in the MMI

#6 ·
Ok, i'm getting closer to understanding.... sorry...��

I bought the car new. So you're suggesting that it was programmed into the MMI that I'm on long-life? I thought (hoped) it was more intelligent - it wouldn't be that difficult for the computer to be programmed to determine this.

Yes, I've seen in the car MMI it tells me I have 6,500 miles to go (or 380 days) for the 1st oil service... which does correlate to about 19,000 miles.

#9 ·
I thought (hoped) it was more intelligent -
It's analysing the oil quality and recommending a service only when actually needed so you don't waste money. How much more intelligent do you want it to be???

Mine is getting its first service tomorrow, at 18,200 miles. So I'm very pleased with its intelligent saving of my money :)

#8 ·
The service schedule can be set during PDI by the supplying dealership and should, in the case of an A5, be dependent on the type of driving the owner is predicted to do. Lots of long journeys where the engine gets fully up to temp would be suitable for 19000 mile / 2 year service. Cars that do many shorter journeys where the engine doesn’t get up to full temp are more suitable for the 10000 mile / 1 year service.

However, I don’t know a dealer who’s ever asked the buyer about driving habits before setting the service schedule. As so there just seems to be a random allocation of service schedules Within these 2 schedules though the cars sensors monitor usage to determine if the various oils / parts need servicing sooner or later. I would also assume, but don’t know for sure, that it could be changed at the request on the owner?

But, according to my supplying dealer, Audi advise the ‘S’ models should be on the 10000 / 1 year schedule. This is only from my own experience (2x A5 3.0TDIs bought from new, both on 2yr schedules and an S5 on 1yr schedule bought March 2018 and when the MMI said it needed servicing in March 2019 @ 6500 miles I asked the supplying dealership why and was told as per information above).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.