• 1 Post By rackingman
  • 1 Post By rackingman
  • 1 Post By rackingman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 3rd July 2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thumbs down Audi selling Damaged repaired cars !

A close friend of mine works in a local crash repair centre, when taking a car in to have some spray work done on a family members car he showed me around the yard at some of the jobs they had lined up.

To my surprise there was a brand new Audi s3 coupe sat gathering dust, i enquired as to why it was there and what he told me shocked me. The car had been damaged not once but TWICE in transit, first time being minor damage only needing the bumper spraying, second time the whole front end and engine needed replacing after the delivery driver dropped the car from the rear of the delivery truck. he even showed how cheap (non OEM) parts had been used and said that Audi would be advertising the car as brand new. what annoyed me even more was the fact that apparently this is not just a one of and that it happens all the time with the customer never knowing the true history of the car!.

how are dealers getting away with this ?
post #2 of 21 Old 3rd July 2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)

Because it is legal to sell a correctly repaired car as new..

New cars get damaged all the time and can be repaired at the factory, at the receiving port or at the dealer. They are under no obligation to tell you unless they are specifically asked, and will only know if they have repaired it. They won't automatically know if it has been repaired prior.
The legal justification is that the approved repairs meet the new condition using approved parts and warranty is unaffected.
If you buy a used vehicle would you expect to pay less if it had had a new wing and a bit of a respray if you couldn't tell? In the UK there is no system to record previous repairs and consequently well repaired cars aren't devalued.

Now, if you had dug around the forum you would find a few threads where the repairs WERE evident and that's a different matter

As is your claim that non oem parts are being used. For the legal justification to remain, all parts must be manufacturers approved parts.

On the basis that your claim is correct the only reason this dealer and/or his approved repaired can get away with it is because no one has reported them. So over to you Daniel.

Either trading standards or audi UK would be good places to start.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #3 of 21 Old 5th July 2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

As per Racks post this happens all the time and people need to relax a bit about it. Let’s say the leather on the drivers seat got scratched during the PDI at the dealer or an alloy got damaged or a window cracked, if that item was replaced would the car no longer be new? Of course it would, it’s just people think that as soon as a body panel or paintings involved it’s a big deal. It’s not. If done properly there’s no difference.
SimonRoma likes this.

2018 RS5 Coupe Daytona Grey Pearl, Black Leather/Rock Grey Stitching
20" Alloys, Black pack, Sports Exhaust, Comfort & Sound Pack, Matrix LED, Carbon Mirrors, 174mph limiter, Ext. LED Pack, Traffic Signs, Memory Seats & Mirrors, Pano Roof, Privacy Glass

GONE: 2014 BMW M6 Coupe, 2014 VW Golf R, 2015 Maserati Ghibli3.0 TDI, 2012 BMW M3, 2008 A5 3.0 TDI, 2009 VW Scirocco 2.0TSI, 2008 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI

post #4 of 21 Old 6th July 2018, 04:29 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)

Garage
I worked for Land Rover at Solihull for 12 years or so, and as a student I spent time at Jaguar. Your hair would stand up if you saw how your "new" car is built, treated and sometimes repaired. Dont worry about it.......

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 6th July 2018, 04:31 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
PS the Audi company is based in Germany. You are talking about either a local dealer OR the Audi UK company but the Audi group would never get involved in this stuff as they have a reputation to defend. Maybe a local dealer????

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SimonRoma; 9th July 2018 at 04:07 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 8th July 2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Derboy View Post
As per Racks post this happens all the time and people need to relax a bit about it. Let’s say the leather on the drivers seat got scratched during the PDI at the dealer or an alloy got damaged or a window cracked, if that item was replaced would the car no longer be new? Of course it would, it’s just people think that as soon as a body panel or paintings involved it’s a big deal. It’s not. If done properly there’s no difference.

So just to clarify, you are comparing a complete front end and engine replacement after a car was dropped from the rear end of a delivery truck to a leather scratch on a drivers seat? .Also Just because you are happy to purchase a car thats had that work done to it and not be notified doest mean the next person should also follow suit. personally i would not be bothered one bit about a dealer not notifying me of work such as glass or scratches being corrected, however once there has been any work carried out towards the main parts of the car such as structure and engine i feel the dealer be legally obliged to inform any potential buyers up front! not wait until asked. the dealers are clearly sending the cars to local crash and repair centres all around the country along with every one else's second hand cars that get registered as category write offs after having similar damage or less, only difference is because the car is from a dealer and not yet registered no one will know and it does not need to be registered. funny how you will text check a car that you buy second hand and be put of if the car has had any work done to it. yet it seems there is no such issue with buying from a dealer doing the same thing. this is just my opinion however and every one is entitled to there own.
post #7 of 21 Old 9th July 2018, 04:10 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
As they say Daniel, let the buyer beware......did you ever meet a car dealer wearing a halo??? Dont think so......welcome to the real world where the tooth fairy will always have a hard time.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.

post #8 of 21 Old 9th July 2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
As they say Daniel, let the buyer beware......did you ever meet a car dealer wearing a halo??? Dont think so......welcome to the real world where the tooth fairy will always have a hard time.
Thanks for your input on the matter.
post #9 of 21 Old 9th July 2018, 01:01 PM

Daniel you obviously feel this is wrong .
As I stated in my earlier post if they are using cheap copy parts they are in breach of the legal argument which says a damaged new car properly repaired is still new. On the basis that your claim is correct the only reason this dealer and/or his approved repairer can get away with it is because no one has reported them. So over to you Daniel.

Either trading standards or audi UK would be good places to start. You are the one in possession of the details so you are the one who can do something about it and make a difference.

We can empathise to a certain extent but we can't do anything about it. You can. So stop moaning and get off your arse.
Either do something about it or get over it.

Just a thought. You buy a new house. It cost a bit more than an audi. You snag it and it has a few faults (the only new house we ever bought had a snagging list of 162 items, but then I am picky).

So the builder then fixes everything, its caused you no inconvenience coz you haven't moved in, and everything is now perfect. Would you then expect to be able to reject the house or get a whopping discount?
SimonRoma likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #10 of 21 Old 9th July 2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
Daniel you obviously feel this is wrong .
As I stated in my earlier post if they are using cheap copy parts they are in breach of the legal argument which says a damaged new car properly repaired is still new. On the basis that your claim is correct the only reason this dealer and/or his approved repairer can get away with it is because no one has reported them. So over to you Daniel.

Either trading standards or audi UK would be good places to start. You are the one in possession of the details so you are the one who can do something about it and make a difference.

We can empathise to a certain extent but we can't do anything about it. You can. So stop moaning and get off your arse.
Either do something about it or get over it.

Just a thought. You buy a new house. It cost a bit more than an audi. You snag it and it has a few faults (the only new house we ever bought had a snagging list of 162 items, but then I am picky).

So the builder then fixes everything, its caused you no inconvenience coz you haven't moved in, and everything is now perfect. Would you then expect to be able to reject the house or get a whopping discount?

I am in contact with my local trading standards office and an email has been sent To Audi. At no point have i "Moaned", I have simply posted a thread to see if it any one could shed some light on how they get away with it. If all you can do is reply with pathetic comments such as "stop moaning" and "get of your arse" then thats all i need to know about your level of maturity.

Once again thanks for your input on the matter, now I'm sure there are plenty of other threads you can move along to and give your opinion and knowledge.
post #11 of 21 Old 9th July 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielS5 View Post
So just to clarify, you are comparing a complete front end and engine replacement after a car was dropped from the rear end of a delivery truck to a leather scratch on a drivers seat? .Also Just because you are happy to purchase a car thats had that work done to it and not be notified doest mean the next person should also follow suit. personally i would not be bothered one bit about a dealer not notifying me of work such as glass or scratches being corrected, however once there has been any work carried out towards the main parts of the car such as structure and engine i feel the dealer be legally obliged to inform any potential buyers up front! not wait until asked. the dealers are clearly sending the cars to local crash and repair centres all around the country along with every one else's second hand cars that get registered as category write offs after having similar damage or less, only difference is because the car is from a dealer and not yet registered no one will know and it does not need to be registered. funny how you will text check a car that you buy second hand and be put of if the car has had any work done to it. yet it seems there is no such issue with buying from a dealer doing the same thing. this is just my opinion however and every one is entitled to there own.
I would not choose to purchase a car that had been repaired in such a way over one that hadn't. That's just common sense but if the car had been repaired to a factory standard then I would be non-the wiser. Front-end damage isn't structural and neither is an engine replacement. The only difference between these parts being changed-out and a windscreen replacement is your own comfort level based on your own expertise and understanding of such things. Dealers hold insurance on their stock whether registered or not and so if the damage was enough to write the car off, they'd simply do so. Look at the recent issue with BMWs being written-off due to a sand-storm at port.

20" Alloys, Black pack, Sports Exhaust, Comfort & Sound Pack, Matrix LED, Carbon Mirrors, 174mph limiter, Ext. LED Pack, Traffic Signs, Memory Seats & Mirrors, Pano Roof, Privacy Glass

GONE: 2014 BMW M6 Coupe, 2014 VW Golf R, 2015 Maserati Ghibli3.0 TDI, 2012 BMW M3, 2008 A5 3.0 TDI, 2009 VW Scirocco 2.0TSI, 2008 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI

post #12 of 21 Old 10th July 2018, 01:06 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)

Garage
Wouldn't a different engine come up on the paperwork as VINs won't match?

WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
Email:
post #13 of 21 Old 10th July 2018, 09:41 AM

Daniel.

You asked a question
I answered it
I pointed out that if they are not using approved part that was the issue and suggested suitable courses of action.
You did not respond but did post " i feel the dealer be legally obliged to inform any potential buyers up front! not wait until asked".

I think the majority of people would agree with you, me included, but that isn't the way it is.

It's a funny thing though, post on a forum asking a question and people will give their opinion and knowledge.

I am however gratified that you are following up with trading standards and audi as I suggested and would be genuinely interested if you would let us know how things proceed.

Best regards

Rackingman
Age 17 and 3 quarters.
SimonRoma likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 10th July 2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Wouldn't a different engine come up on the paperwork as VINs won't match?
The VIN is a chassis number. The Engine has it's own engine number. If an engine is swapped then the records are simply updated.

post #15 of 21 Old 9th April 2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it's any reassurance to you guys, this happens in the US as well. Technically, as long as there is no OWNER of the car, then there is no accident to report. Until that car is titled, it has no vehicle history. It's a bit like birth vs conception - your personal 'history' starts at birth. But if you had a malformed foot that corrected itself in utero, there is no record of it. You're evaluated when the new owners (parents) take possession of you. If you get dropped on your head during the PDI by the doctor before your parents take ownership, and there's no visible damage, there is nothing to report.

This is also why if you want to find out who does the best quality body work and leather repair in town, don't go to Yelp or Google. Go to your new car dealer because they have them on speed dial.
post #16 of 21 Old 10th April 2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
Sadly it happens far too often, I've heard horror stories like this and it's not just Audi!

A5 Life
post #17 of 21 Old 11th April 2019, 09:57 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Well this thread has provoked some "scandal". But a car, in a way, is no different to other consumer products. Until it is registered then it has no "history" so anything can happen. In Roma, several years ago when Fiat launched the Punto, my mother in law wanted a "new" Uno. Guess what?? The local Fiat dealer found one and goodness what a pile of shit it was. The doors did not shut correctly, the battery was off a smaller car and failed after a few months but she was happy!!!! This car had fallen off a transporter for sure and was bent. It happens.

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.

post #18 of 21 Old 11th April 2019, 11:51 AM

No scandal biker boy....

An example of modern outrage with 4.....count it 4...posts and no follow though or update...indeed, did it ever happen.

Who knows..

SimonRoma likes this.

post #19 of 21 Old 12th April 2019, 08:20 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Wise words Racks, wise words indeed......

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.

post #20 of 21 Old Today, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Well this thread has provoked some "scandal". But a car, in a way, is no different to other consumer products. Until it is registered then it has no "history" so anything can happen. In Roma, several years ago when Fiat launched the Punto, my mother in law wanted a "new" Uno. Guess what?? The local Fiat dealer found one and goodness what a pile of shit it was. The doors did not shut correctly, the battery was off a smaller car and failed after a few months but she was happy!!!! This car had fallen off a transporter for sure and was bent. It happens.
But in the US at least, if any other product is damaged in transit, it's marked down and sold at a discount. With a car, it's fixed and never disclosed. Until you go to trade it in. Then the dealer sees the repairs when they inspect it and you eat the loss.

Pointing out something exists does not make it a scandal. It's not just Audi who does this, it's every dealer of every car, and it's been happening since at least the 1990s that I know of. Probably earlier. In fact, a little research tells me that it's so much NOT a scandal, that states have set damage limits of approximately 6% of MSRP (tires and glass are not included) before requiring disclosure. And if they have a dealer contract with the body shop, they could stretch that to 10%. So the average S5 new is what, 55k ? 60? which means your new S5 could have $5000 worth of damage to it not including the windshield replaced, and they don't have to tell you about any of it.
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Wise words Racks, wise words indeed......
Judging by the picture that Racks chose, "wise racks word, wise racks indeed" would also be appropriate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List