Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Aargh! Another nail in my S5's tire!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Supreme247 
#1 ·
I thought I would share this story just to kill time while waiting for my flight back to Vancouver. :smile2:

I got up early this morning to head out to the airport for an early morning flight. Like always, before I hop in my trusty steed (S5), I go around the car to check the tires for an obvious flat. Looking at them, they looked fine but I know looks can be deceiving especially an under inflated low-profile tire. As I drive away, I had a bad feeling that at lest one tire is soft. True enough, after driving for a little more than a kilometer, TPMS light came up. Great! just when I am on my way to the airport to catch a flight. Good thing is I always leave for my meetings and flights 15 to 30 minutes ahead of time just to anticipate traffic or emergencies like this. I drive around a kilometer to reach a gas station. I look for the tire that is low on air and the culprit is the front passenger (right) tire. And, lo and behold, a large nail is in plain sight right in front of me! Lucky, the nail is on the tread and not the side wall. Tire pressure is down to 30PSI from 41 PSI. Unlucky for me, the air pump is not working at this gas station. I had to drive 3 to 4 kilometers to reach another gas station with a working air pump. I am guessing I picked up the nail when I used the S5 last Saturday or Sunday. My best guess is that it is a slow leak. I hope. I will know when I fly back to Vancouver and check my car in the parkade tonight. Crossing my fingers so I can top-off the air in my bad tire again for the commute home. I will have to take my baby to the tire shop tomorrow AM to get this fixed.

This is the second nail puncture issue I experienced since installing the brand new tires 5,300 kms ago!

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel your pain!

I keep a cheap electric inflator next to the space saver in the boot for just such occasions - for the sake of £5 it's worth it, as driving on with the tyre underinflated is likely to cause internal damage to the tyre.

When you take it to be repaired make sure they inspect the inside of the tyre and if there's any 'crumbing' it's an indication that the inside of the tyre has started to delaminate and it should not be repaired.

#4 ·
I have been on the look out for a good tire inflator on Ebay. I wanted the one made by Continental. The VW/Audi ones are expensive despite being OEM'd by Continental. I will keep your tire tip in mind. My local tire shop (there's two of them) does a good job with tires and tire repair.

Goodness, what bad luck.....but glad you discovered it quickly. Luckily I have a space saver spare on my car so when I had a flat recently I could change it and carry on and for once it happened to me on a fine, warm sunny day and in daylight!!!!
I do have a space saver tire but I pride myself for not having to use them in my previous cars. There's nothing like a nice clean unused spare in the boot :grin2: If I end up using it during an emergency situation, I will have to clean it up before it gets stored back in the boot!

#3 ·
Goodness, what bad luck.....but glad you discovered it quickly. Luckily I have a space saver spare on my car so when I had a flat recently I could change it and carry on and for once it happened to me on a fine, warm sunny day and in daylight!!!!

#5 ·
Update: Patched and fixed using a quill patch. What a hassle. I lost 2.5 hours of working time just waiting to get the tire fixed. I wish the tire shop had Wi-Fi. They did but you need to have a personal subscription to access it. I just killed time by reading the fine print on those stickers you find on brand new tires and looking at the tire side wall markings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.