post #1 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Garage
Potentially stupid question...

What is the structure of A5OC? Maybe some of the longer time folk can explain this. At times it seems like this is more of a support forum than an OC, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the lack of leadership or a physical presence seems a bit odd.
From the little digging I did, I got the impression there used to be a guy called Andrew calling the shots? Is that still the case? My best guess is the site was sold at some point to its current overlords VerticalScope who seem to be a media company, not a club leader.
What's the situation? Will we ever have banners at shows again? Who's the big boss, or are we just customers for these VerticalScope folks?

Retrofits & Aftermarket cosmetic & performance (soon) parts for Audi vehicles.
WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
So more digging shows it was handed over in 2013. What then?

Email:
post #3 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)

Garage
I think youíve pretty much covered it there Eamonn. When I joined in late 2010, Andrew was the main man. But the site didnít really operate any differently than it does now. Any ďclubĒ meets or other activities were always arranged by the more enthusiastic members, Andrew didnít get involved, I think largely due to the huge geography involved. Meets back then at the larger events (eg ADI and AITP) were modestly attended. I went to both several years in a row from 2011, and the best turn out was maybe a dozen cars. Always very enjoyable though. We even clubbed together and invested in some A5OC flags optimistically, but I imagine they havenít seen the light of day for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dan.

Current - A5 (B9) 2.0TFSI Sportback quattro - 252PS - Daytona Grey
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Coupe Blk Ed+ S-Tronic - Daytona Grey
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro, Blk Ed, S-Tronic - Glacier
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Sport Coupe - Silver
post #4 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

Been here since early 2012 as a result of researching oil burning of which at the time audi were still in denial.
Never any leadership or direction but back then you couldn't pick up a knackered a5 for less than 10k and turn up here for help so the comment about this being a support forum resonates.

There were some real characters...and a lot of passion.

The debate about the appearance of the 8.5 ran for months...........roll on to the 9.....frankly no one gave a fuck.

This forum is pretty much a dead man walking. So few new posts.....even whitta has gone quiet and he is in australia, famous for nothing happening, never.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #5 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
You say dead man walking, but in a way isn't the fact A5s are now becoming more affordable to plebs like me a potential source of revival? Maybe a different audience, but I wouldn't say things are doomed. (Also I think the 9 is ugly, it looks like a mondeo with 4 rings on the front and a fake chinese vent on the side).

Email:
post #6 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
A5s are now becoming more affordable to plebs like me a potential source of revival?
plebs like us! my a5 is 11 years old in august but it still counts.

p.s - B8.0 is the best looking A5

2008[58] A5 3.0TDI Sport. 302HP. Meteor Grey - B&O Package, LED upgrades. Cruise control coming soon(tm). MMI3G refit in consideration...
post #7 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
Oh purlease...! Stop it with the B9 ugly thing! Itís a great looking car... as was the B8... when I bought one 9 years ago!

Dan.

post #8 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:53 AM

Now that's more like it....Falc I trust your B8 is a coupe as everyone knows the 5 door hatch isn't a proper A5 ....

In 2012 I was reliably advised of such by RGB.

In fact a cab only just qualifies.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #9 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Donít forget the colour... must be black!

Dan.

post #10 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 12:34 PM

And 3 litre diesel in sport spec....

Or yellow cab with a red roof.

post #11 of 18 Old 9th February 2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

I bought a forum called SciroccoNet in its infancy for a about 3 grand. I built up sponsors and was making about £500 a month at its zenith. I then sold my Scirocco and bought an A5 which led to me going from very active to virtually never on the site.

I then sold it to Verticalscope for nearly £20k and the site seems to have declined since then.

There used to be big money in forums but Facebook groups have taken over a bit.

I also doesn’t help that this site has a bot posting ads. I rarely post on here these days. Im usually on Audi-Sport.

Oh and the B9 isn’t ugly. Here’s mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	56FA2805-3D80-46DA-8927-70D961042751_1549787791883.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	168470

2018 RS5 Coupe Daytona Grey Pearl, Black Leather/Rock Grey Stitching
20" Alloys, Black pack, Sports Exhaust, Comfort & Sound Pack, Matrix LED, Carbon Mirrors, 174mph limiter, Ext. LED Pack, Traffic Signs, Memory Seats & Mirrors, Pano Roof, Privacy Glass

GONE: 2014 BMW M6 Coupe, 2014 VW Golf R, 2015 Maserati Ghibli3.0 TDI, 2012 BMW M3, 2008 A5 3.0 TDI, 2009 VW Scirocco 2.0TSI, 2008 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI

post #12 of 18 Old 10th February 2019, 12:05 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
This forum is pretty much a dead man walking. So few new posts.....even whitta has gone quiet and he is in australia, famous for nothing happening, never.

Rumours of my demise are somewhat exaggerated, Racks, to paraphrase a misquote attributed to Mr Twain. And, while I havenít been contributing, I have been keeping track of whatís been happening on the forum.
Iíve actually been hellaciously busy, thanks to going back to freelancing. Iíve discovered that, as far as full time employment is concerned, being 60 means Iím dead. Perversely, Iíve now got almost more work than I can poke a stick as a freelancer, and can charge three to four times what I would have got as a wage slave. Which is just bloody ridiculous! Still, Iím always more than happy to help fools part with their money.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #13 of 18 Old 10th February 2019, 12:45 PM

If you are so busy and charging 3 to 4 times what you were earning, try charging more. Just ramp it up till you are getting less work but making even more money.

Then you would have time to come and play...and you could tell us about the new rs5 you bought yourself with all that extra cash.

post #14 of 18 Old 10th February 2019, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)

Garage
Nah. The new RS5 doesnít do it for me. Besides, this is Oz, where the cost of such things went beyond ďridiculousĒ a long time ago. However, a low-mileage supercharged S5 with proper AWD... thatís much more appealing. Even so, it may have to be a Sportback for the sake of practicality.
Or (apostasy warning) a shiny new SQ2! My sources tell me the first Oz deliveries should happen at the end of this year, or early next. If the Q2 I had for a day a few weeks back is any gauge at all, the SQ2 ought to be a real hoot. The Haldex-based AWD doesnít thrill me, but the rest of the package makes up for it, notably the suspension travel, which is a godsend on crappy country roads.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #15 of 18 Old 12th February 2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
Now that's more like it....Falc I trust your B8 is a coupe as everyone knows the 5 door hatch isn't a proper A5 ....

In 2012 I was reliably advised of such by RGB.

In fact a cab only just qualifies.
give me the coupe or give me death - if you're going to get a sportback you might as well just get the A7 which looks far better for that body style. that'll probably end up being my next car when the good lady decides a family is required

2008[58] A5 3.0TDI Sport. 302HP. Meteor Grey - B&O Package, LED upgrades. Cruise control coming soon(tm). MMI3G refit in consideration...

Last edited by falc; 12th February 2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #16 of 18 Old 12th February 2019, 09:29 AM

Garage
it feels like the B9 is trying too hard to scream "get out of my way!" with all the sharp lines on it. It's a good looking car, don't get me wrong, but the B8 was a much smoother, more flowing design that still carries a good road presence.

the 8.5 has the nice LED lights but the B8 has, IMO, the better headlight design - especially the ones with the LED DRL's on them. Perhaps an 8.25 with the front of the 8 and the rear of an 8.5 would be nice. I know it's not impossible to do that but i don't really want to be screwing around changing body panels on the car and making the LED lights work with the CANBUS system.

post #17 of 18 Old 12th February 2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)

I'll agree the B8 was a design high watermark for Audi, but even the designer (Walter De Silva??, googling... googling... Yes, Walter De Silva) seemed to think it was a very successful design.

As for the forum, I kinda like the fairly nice atmosphere in here, and tbh I don't mind the support thing tbh, there's plenty of forums for other marks that tend to go a bit overboard IMO. As someone mentioned, due to the large geographic span for this site for a specific and relatively low sale model I don't think we can expect much with regards to meet ups etc?

Regards

2009 3.0Tdi Quattro Tiptronic, XenonzUK RS5 front, ABT sideskirt, Milltek Sport. OEM RS5 st.wheel, S5 interior.
KW DDC HLS4, H&R arb, Powerflex bushings. Eurocode Alu Kreuz, SPC UAC, 034motorsport endlinks.
AWE intake, Darkside Developments intercooler/hybrid turbo/downpipe.

post #18 of 18 Old 13th February 2019, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Garage
we would love to feature more member initiated articles in the homepage, please let us know which ones you would like you feature. while we do have ads, they help maintain the forum and keep it relevant to Google standards.

competition is high which is why we're constantly researching for ways to make the site pop above other platforms.

Lee

If you need Admin assitance please post here:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode