Anyone fit a active subwoofer on their A5 ? 2013 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 7th May 2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Anyone fit a active subwoofer on their A5 ? 2013

Installing a active subwoofer seems an easy job

especially when the battery is in the boot, less wiring...

However the system controls, or the MMI control panel is situated on the gearbox panel

I know that you need to connect RCA/cables to the back end of your car system

But where your car system is a default factory system and its on the gearbox control panel how would one connect to the system?

I know that because the battery and the existing subwoofer is in the boot area that should make it more easy.

Im desperate to install my active subwoofer

Has anyone installed an AMP or an active subwoofer on a A5 that has the control panel on the gearbox, where the electric handbrake is situated...
post #2 of 27 Old 7th May 2019, 10:15 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrood Boom View Post
Installing a active subwoofer seems an easy job

especially when the battery is in the boot, less wiring...

However the system controls, or the MMI control panel is situated on the gearbox panel

I know that you need to connect RCA/cables to the back end of your car system

But where your car system is a default factory system and its on the gearbox control panel how would one connect to the system?

I know that because the battery and the existing subwoofer is in the boot area that should make it more easy.

Im desperate to install my active subwoofer

Has anyone installed an AMP or an active subwoofer on a A5 that has the control panel on the gearbox, where the electric handbrake is situated...
I have installed separate amp and woofer, but principle is the same. Splice audio signal straight off the factory sub, can be reached easily from boot. Battery is in boot, so you can run power easily. Piggyback fuse from fusebox behind panel on right side in boot to switch on/off.

Bolt-on upgrades for your vehicle.
Improve the look & feel of your car, without breaking the bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
Email:
post #3 of 27 Old 7th May 2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngolWorks - Eamonn View Post
I have installed separate amp and woofer, but principle is the same. Splice audio signal straight off the factory sub, can be reached easily from boot. Battery is in boot, so you can run power easily. Piggyback fuse from fusebox behind panel on right side in boot to switch on/off.
when you say splice audio signal from factory sub, what do you mean, ?

SO i splice the red and black cable, do i connect this to RCA connectors when then goes in the active sub?

Thanks
post #4 of 27 Old 7th May 2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

A lot of amps now have a high level input (speaker wire to rca) as well as low level rca.
Splice as in conects to sub plug, then can still use the Subwoofer control in mmi sound settings.
They also now don't need a remote on 12v wire, they auto sense a signal & turn on instantly. Just connect to battery.
Just fitted a Vibe powerbox micro sub amp & replaced factory sub with a vibe 10" sub.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 27 Old 7th May 2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
A lot of amps now have a high level input (speaker wire to rca) as well as low level rca.
Splice as in conects to sub plug, then can still use the Subwoofer control in mmi sound settings.
They also now don't need a remote on 12v wire, they auto sense a signal & turn on instantly. Just connect to battery.
Just fitted a Vibe powerbox micro sub amp & replaced factory sub with a vibe 10" sub.

that vibe device you have next to your dvd audi drive i dont have that im sure of it

i have the B&O sound system

My vibe black death active amp has rca and it has rca in and out so you can daisy chain, will it be connectable?
post #6 of 27 Old 8th May 2019, 12:55 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
that vibe device you have next to your dvd audi drive i dont have that im sure of it

i have the B&O sound system

My vibe black death active amp has rca and it has rca in and out so you can daisy chain, will it be connectable?
The vibe device is the amp he installed. You need to splice the wiring going to the factory subwoofer into an RCA connector, to plug into your amp. Then connect battery power, and a switching wire into the fuse box. There's really not much to it.

Email:
post #7 of 27 Old 8th May 2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

hey

Quote:
The vibe device is the amp he installed. You need to splice the wiring going to the factory subwoofer into an RCA connector, to plug into your amp. Then connect battery power, and a switching wire into the fuse box. There's really not much to it.
i see, i think its a job out of my hands

so some one quoted me 250 to install a amp wiring kit on the A5, even though the battery is located in the boot, actually everything is located in the boot so it it really a 250 job?
post #8 of 27 Old 8th May 2019, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Garage
If the do it properly with nice wiring it could be, but as eamonn said its a 5min job if you have any knowledge in what youre doing as you basically taking the wire that runs into your oem sub and adding one more "extension" to it which then runs into your amp if i can understand correct.

S5 3.0T Quattro Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Ibis White 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, Bluetooth, AMI, 20" Gloss Black 7 Double Spokes, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise Control, Black Leather Heated Electric Memory Seats, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Panoramic Sunroof, Tinted Windows
post #9 of 27 Old 8th May 2019, 08:07 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Quote:

so some one quoted me 250 to install a amp wiring kit on the A5, even though the battery is located in the boot, actually everything is located in the boot so it it really a 250 job?
A proper fitter would take 15 minutes and use 10 of supplies, 250 is a bit excessive. Where are you based? I could help you with it for significantly less.

Email:
post #10 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A proper fitter would take 15 minutes and use 10 of supplies, 250 is a bit excessive. Where are you based? I could help you with it for significantly less.
your based in Nottingham, its quite far, im based in Aylesbury, how would i find a local people who would do the job for cheaper than the quoted 250 pounds?

Also my parking sensors are not functioning, its got a long beep when you pres the button, im told that if 1 sensor fails then the whole parking system doesnt work

anyways the same person quoted me 600 on a worst case scenario, i bet it will be a worst case scenario

Im wondering if this computer diagnostic device will point out if there is a faulty sensor? that way id know for sure

I dont want to spend 850 pounds just on a amp kit wire install and a parking sensor fix, maybe some one can do it for 300ish?>
post #11 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 08:18 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
I'll be in MK this weekend and/or early next week. I can help you out. Bare in mind that I'm no professional installer, but I installed aftermarket sub and amp without any real issues. I also will have the diagnostic tools with me, so we can have a look at what's up with your other problems

Email:
post #12 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Quote:
I'll be in MK this weekend and/or early next week. I can help you out. Bare in mind that I'm no professional installer, but I installed aftermarket sub and amp without any real issues. I also will have the diagnostic tools with me, so we can have a look at what's up with your other problems
I wish you were closer to me.
post #13 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 01:09 PM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Come up to Aylesbury and we'll have a play

Email:
post #14 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Come up to Aylesbury and we'll have a play
How long are you there for ?

I am going to Peterborough on Saturday, so can come on the way or Sunday ?
post #15 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 01:36 PM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double V View Post
How long are you there for ?

I am going to Peterborough on Saturday, so can come on the way or Sunday ?
Honestly don't know yet. I might be around Sunday, busy for part of the day. Also depends what Mr Boom is up to, if he'd like my help etc.

Email:
post #16 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 01:50 PM

Let me know your availability and I will see if I can do it as well.
I will bring my OBD11 as well.

Do you know if I can use it to activate the colored LED door trims ? at the moment only have white standard.
post #17 of 27 Old 9th May 2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:

I paid 160 for mine, that was at a well respected installer, for materials and running power wires, RCA cables, installing the new amp and box and then fine tuning the system (which he did over two days a couple of weeks apart.
post #18 of 27 Old 10th May 2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebsy View Post
Quote:

I paid 160 for mine, that was at a well respected installer, for materials and running power wires, RCA cables, installing the new amp and box and then fine tuning the system (which he did over two days a couple of weeks apart.
Its alot of cash, but i would say for the a5 especially when the set up is all in the boot is easy and it should be respectfully less than even 120, when you run the cable from the front to the back and have find pocket to run it from engine bay to the boot that is a bit more complicated, but still relatively easy and when you do know what youre doing especially. When it comes to cable - it doesnt cost that much and even if you need to get a "proper" one you cant get it in uk - i had to bring mine from another country as i needed 1.2cm thickness cable to provide enough enough power to power cap/amp as the only thing that was available here was around 0.5cm
What im tryin to say - they charge too much 😄

S5 3.0T Quattro Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Ibis White 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, Bluetooth, AMI, 20" Gloss Black 7 Double Spokes, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise Control, Black Leather Heated Electric Memory Seats, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Panoramic Sunroof, Tinted Windows
post #19 of 27 Old 10th May 2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
hey

I can meet you in MK, milton keynes, im only 30 mins drive fromn there, im free saturday sunday, can you fix the sub for me, im sure i have some stuff ie whires and stuff, or i can buy a amp kit from euro car parts or halfords,

please let me know

and yes that obd thingy, we can connect to see which parking sensor is down, i can pay cash money, how much would you like?
post #20 of 27 Old 10th May 2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly don't know yet. I might be around Sunday, busy for part of the day. Also depends what Mr Boom is up to, if he'd like my help etc.
i live in Aylesbury, we can all meet or somthing,?
post #21 of 27 Old 10th May 2019, 09:02 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Drop me a WhatsApp or text on my business number, anyone who wants to come. We'll put together a group chat and organise a micro meet?
+447926601145

Email:
post #22 of 27 Old 10th May 2019, 09:16 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Let's make this official? https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Email:
post #23 of 27 Old 14th May 2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...udi-s5.386915/

I just fitted a new sub. Might give you some ideas.
post #24 of 27 Old 15th May 2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

How did you fit that vibe subwoofer in a place of original one? Have you got some photos please? I need more space in my trunk.. but also can't listen music without any sub's..
post #25 of 27 Old 15th May 2019, 11:34 PM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Garage
Bearley any 10" sub will drop in the OEM subwoofer spot. Just beware unless it's properly rated with dynamat everywhere it'll turn into a rattly boomy mess.

Email:
post #26 of 27 Old Today, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bearley any 10" sub will drop in the OEM subwoofer spot. Just beware unless it's properly rated with dynamat everywhere it'll turn into a rattly boomy mess.
the a5 boot opens automatically, if you put this stuff on the top roof of the boot will it add to much weight where the boot lid will be to heavy to open unassisted?

was thinking of putting some of this stuff on to stop the rattles
post #27 of 27 Old Today, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

how did you open the top lid from the default sub on the A5? I want to take out the factory sub, had a look from the back seat and the top cover seems permanently fixed on.

whaT i could do is remove the factory sub and then take off the 2nd lid from the speaker cover on the right side, the right side is just for show

so then use a dremel and cut a hole on the 2nd hole, now there will be 2 holes on the roof of the parcel shelf, just below the rear glass, im sure this can then be used to install 2 subs?

then use that sound installation to stop rattle from the 2 subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List