• 1 Post By Smokey Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 30th March 2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Garage
Best Tyres

I'm sure this has been asked in the past but I can't see anything new in the past years so.....

What are the Best tyres?

To me Best means a great summer all-rounder with great braking wet/ dry and a confident grip whilst being quiet in the car.
I was thinking Goodyear F1 Asy3?
post #2 of 12 Old 30th March 2019, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Garage
It’s opinion really.

Lots of people will tell you different things.

I made my choice by checking through tyre ratings for stopping distance and noise (on all tyre websites)
Tyresreviews.co.uk has got a lot of comparative performance reviews on it, including a YouTube channel.

I decided to go for Michelin primacy 3’s because they’re very quiet and perform well in the wet and in fact overall punch above their price.
pfield69 likes this.

Andrew
A5 3.0TDI quattro Sportback - scuba blue
post #3 of 12 Old 5th April 2019, 07:58 AM
Vik

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have had the Michellin Pilot Sport 3 on 2 occasions and love them. Next set looking at the Pilot Sport. Found millage to be great and hard to loose traction even with it damp and TC off.
post #4 of 12 Old 5th April 2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Garage
So I've just moved away from the oem Dunlop Sportmaxx GT's which Ive always had on the S5 since my ownership, to Michelin pilot sport 4's.

All I can say is what a transformation!

The car feels much more lighter and nimble, I get more feeling from the steering and it's much more precise.

Noise level seems about the same as the Dunlop's (quiet). I can't comment on the longevity yet but another plus is that they have huge rim protection for just in case.

I definitely recommend these.
SimonRoma likes this.

Last edited by Smokey Joe; 5th April 2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 7th April 2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
I've had:
Sportmaxx GT - original tyres for car. Got about 18-20k
Sportmaxx RT - nicer looking side profile, softer compound, better turn in feel and great grip, but only 12k
Pirelli P Zero Rosso - firm, a bit more noise but good grip, 22k from them.

Now on Michelin PS 4.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050
post #6 of 12 Old 3rd May 2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
I will know more tomorrow, 1 of my original Dunlops met an early demise this week so with 37k miles on the other 3 I had to replace them all. I was going between the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 +, after quite a lot of reading on review sites I decided to go with the Michelin’s. First set of Michelin’s I’ve ever run as I have always been a Pirelli fan, motorcycles and cars. I pick the car up tomorrow and will see how it feels.

2017 Ibis White A5 Sport Cabriolet
2016 Scuba Blue A5 Prem+ Coupe
2011 Black Ducati 1198sp
post #7 of 12 Old 11th May 2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
I’ve had the car back with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ installed for a week now and driven a couple hundred miles. These are certainly grippy, the car has a much more direct feel than the old Dunlops but could be because they had 37k miles on them. They are quiet and smooth on the road as well, I have driven both highway and secondary roads and feel the car handles better in all situations. My only complaint at this point is there is a small decrease in fuel economy. I’ve gone from an average 29 MPG on my daily commute to 27, not sure if this is due to a slightly larger diameter tire since there is no wear on them? Anyway, I am happy with them and when the time comes to put the new wheels on the Cab I will use the same tires on it.

2017 Ibis White A5 Sport Cabriolet
2016 Scuba Blue A5 Prem+ Coupe
2011 Black Ducati 1198sp
post #8 of 12 Old 11th May 2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
New tyres will have more rolling resistance than old ones. All the blocks and grooves at right angles to the direction of travel create resistance which the engine has to overcome. Old tyres have worn them down no almost non-existence where as new tyres have lots of them.

Within a thousand miles or so you'll see the economy come back up again once the tyres have bedded in.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050
post #9 of 12 Old 12th May 2019, 02:17 AM
Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)

Garage
Anyone else got their eye on the Eagle F1 assymetric 5s?

Bolt-on upgrades for your vehicle.
Improve the look & feel of your car, without breaking the bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WhatsApp: +447926601145 Web:
Email:
post #10 of 12 Old 12th May 2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
I'll go for a set of new Continental next summer, 140 engineers cant make it wrong. I had Michelin Pilot sport 3, then I bought used but pretty good Continental Contisport and they do feel much better according to me!

A5 3.0 TDI S Line X-Edition
post #11 of 12 Old 12th May 2019, 06:40 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)

Garage
In my humble loads of these things are a bit in our minds, cos the "feeling" of a car or bike are very complex to understand, and the tyres are of course a very important component BUT only one of the many components that make up the "feel" of a vehicle. I use a track bike (never tried in a car) and the tyres, brakes, even the brake lever setting can all make a difference, and even how used the brake pads are, whereas of course the only real measurement is the lap time, full stop.

If you download the black box and try to analyse the date (lean angle, tyre temp, engine revs etc etc) you can see for instance that on the lap you were convinced you tried hardest, the throttle opening was actually LESS than on another earlier lap!! And tyres last a short time so of course yes they make a huge difference, BUT you can often go faster on the last few laps so on very worn tyres. Go figure!!

Simon
Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD auto S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
178,000km. Full leather interior.
Cobra GPS tracker system.
Wheels refurbished in gunmetal grey, bodywork polished, badges removed. Set of Brembo discs and pads fitted and calipers repainted silver. New carbon mirror covers. Replaced all 4 shocks. Fitted dipstick.

post #12 of 12 Old 15th May 2019, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngolWorks - Eamonn View Post
Anyone else got their eye on the Eagle F1 assymetric 5s?
I've got them on my A4B8 2014.. the best tyres ever i had.. much more better than pilot sports 3 and 4 which i had before.. really quiet and feels like the car is glued to the road..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List