Audi A5 2015 headlights ?? For real? - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 26th February 2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Question Audi A5 2015 headlights ?? For real?

Hello,

I am new to this forum and somewhat to the Audi A5 world, but here is my question if somebody can please help me because right now Iím confused...

Based on my reading and searching from several Audi forums, the only way to have the very cool Daytime running lights on my Audi A5 diesel from 2015 ( unfortunately it has the lame halogen headlights ), would be to retrofit the xenon headlights that have the cool daytime running lights the one that looks like an LED strip around the whole headlight, Iíve read that you must buy a kufacec adapter to retrofit the headlights, the bumper with the washers, and the leveling things... to be 100% legal...

However, My surprise is that I have a guy from an oficial Audi dealer saying he can swap the headlights with the cool Daytime running lights but without the xenon, sů no need for bumper washers and leveling crap...

And this all being done officially by Audi... the guy is even going to give me a budget for it, but he is saying ití going to be around 1500 Ä

Iíve even sent a picture from google showing him the headlights Iím talking about and he confirmed he can do it !

My question is... is this for real? Is it actually possible to have those headlights without xenon???

I think Iím gonna take the day off just so I can see them doing it with my own eyes and confirm if itís really real

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 13 Old 27th February 2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)

I have browsed through my collection of Audi UK and German brochures from 2013 to 2015. The German brochure is more authoritative. There are two headlight options: (1) the Halogens with incandescent DRL's your A5 has and (2) the Xenon Plus headlights with the LED lightpipe for the DRL's that you like so much. There is no option for a Halogen headlight with the LED lightpipe DRL's.

I suspect the Audi dealer is offering and retrofitting an aftermarket product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plat27265; 27th February 2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 28th February 2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
I have browsed through my collection of Audi UK and German brochures from 2013 to 2015. The German brochure is more authoritative. There are two headlight options: (1) the Halogens with incandescent DRL's your A5 has and (2) the Xenon Plus andheadlights with the LED lightpipe for the DRL's that you like so much. There is no option for a Halogen headlight with the LED lightpipe DRL's.

I suspect the Audi dealer is offering and retrofitting an aftermarket product.

Hello thank you very much for your answer and effort to try to help me.

I kind of have an update on that, the Audi dealer guy told me that there are there are the kind of headlights with the LED lightpipe, but insead of having xenon, the bulbs them selfs are also LED... ???

Is that even possible? basically he's saying he is going to put in the " xenon with daytime runing LED lightpipe" but he is going to remove the xenon ballast and put in LED ballast... So I wouldn't need auto levelers and headlight washers on the bumper...

Man I am so confused right now don't know what to believe honestly...
post #4 of 13 Old 28th February 2019, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Oliveira View Post
Hello thank you very much for your answer and effort to try to help me.

I kind of have an update on that, the Audi dealer guy told me that there are there are the kind of headlights with the LED lightpipe, but insead of having xenon, the bulbs them selfs are also LED... ???

Is that even possible? basically he's saying he is going to put in the " xenon with daytime runing LED lightpipe" but he is going to remove the xenon ballast and put in LED ballast... So I wouldn't need auto levelers and headlight washers on the bumper...

Man I am so confused right now don't know what to believe honestly...
I think he is offering you the following:-
Replacement genuine Xenon headlamps which will have the DRL that you require. He will then remove the Xenon ballast, igniters and bulbs, it is the Xenon aspect that produces the need for washers and levelling to make them legal.
He will then replace the Xenon bulbs and ballasts with aftermarket LED bulbs and ballasts, these will not require washers and levellers to make them legal.
If you read the following thread especially from post #6 onwards things should become clearer.
https://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-gener...eadlights.html
Hope this helps.
The one thing that puzzles me is that you seem to have found the ONLY official Audi dealer that is willing to think outside the box !!!
OR
He happens to have a set of FL Xenon headlamps laying around and sees a way of earning a quick 1500 Euros
If my thoughts are correct and his option gives you the results you require and your car remains legal, it is a win win situation for you.

2008 2.0 ltr TFSi Sport

ECS intake pipe, Pipercross filter, R8 red tops, 15mm (F) & 20mm (R) spacers, -35mm Springs, Eccentric, Poly, upper control arm bushes, Debadged and Dechromed, OEM Audi body kit (lip spoiler, side skirts, diffuser and bumper spoilers, boot lip spoiler.

Have the parts to do:-
Full RS5 Piano black trim, RS5 pedal set and foot rest, ECS oil catch can kit.

Last edited by A5JXU08; 28th February 2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 28th February 2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5JXU08 View Post
I think he is offering you the following:-
Replacement genuine Xenon headlamps which will have the DRL that you require. He will then remove the Xenon ballast, igniters and bulbs, it is the Xenon aspect that produces the need for washers and levelling to make them legal.
He will then replace the Xenon bulbs and ballasts with aftermarket LED bulbs and ballasts, these will not require washers and levellers to make them legal.

Hope this helps.
The one thing that puzzles me is that you seem to have found the ONLY official Audi dealer that is willing to think outside the box !!!
OR
He happens to have a set of FL Xenon headlamps laying around and sees a way of earning a quick 1500 Euros
If my thoughts are correct and his option gives you the results you require and your car remains legal, it is a win win situation for you.
I understand what you are saying, and heck I wanna believe and see it happen so bad.

But can one just simply swap a xenon ballast for an LED ballast? Because this seems odd to me and I haven't seen that anywhere, at least on Audi's...

Well I guess I have to go thru with this to see what really happens, either it's a super duper awesome thing, or the guy is full of him self and it's not going to work, either case it's an official Audi dealer, so if something goes wrong he has to fix it...

Man can't wait to do this and see what happens! I'll then tell how the story wen't!
post #6 of 13 Old 28th February 2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

You can’t simply swap the bulbs, the projector lenses are designed for the HID bulb to locate in a specific position.

I would avoid this like the plague.

Personally I’d just buy proper HID facelift lights (I have some for sale!!) and the kufatec adapters. Keep your originals and either swap them back at MOT time (really very easily done) or find a friendly MOT station.

You’ll have better lights and get better value.

2015 B8.5 S5 BE Coupe
ADS | Sports diff | Active Dampers | Advanced key | Sunroof | 3G+ MMi | Heated Seats
Retrofits : Adaptive Cruise Control | Adaptive Headlights | Dynamic Steering | Garage Door Opener | Hill Hold Assist | Main Beam Assist | Lane Departure Assist | Side Assist | TV Tuner | Passenger Seat memory | Heated Washer Jets
Mods : V-Dampr 195mm Drive Pulley | Eventuri | Litchfield Remap| Iabed Throttle Body | Forge chargecooler radiator | FIS-Control Module | Apple Carplay & TV

post #7 of 13 Old 2nd April 2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Well gentlemen,

Bad news I’m afraid, seems my supposed contact in the Audi dealer is complete crap.

I have researched every possible place, and there are no such thing as Audi A5 headlights full LED, without xenon...

So I’m completely screwed...
post #8 of 13 Old 7th April 2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Sorry for the bad news you've had to receive.
Maybe have a look at some breakers yards online for a set of headlights and ballasts from a car that's been rear-ended.
The car's wiring loom should be just plug and play for the different headlights, but I'm sure someone on here can QC that statement.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050
post #9 of 13 Old 9th April 2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2ksr View Post
Sorry for the bad news you've had to receive.
Maybe have a look at some breakers yards online for a set of headlights and ballasts from a car that's been rear-ended.
The car's wiring loom should be just plug and play for the different headlights, but I'm sure someone on here can QC that statement.
Well I've decided to do what the majoraty of you guys do...

Just ordered the kufacec adapter, going to buy the xenon headlights used from a local dude that's selling them and done...

When it comes for MOT time, Im just gonna go to a guy that I know that I think can get me thru, It's just the headlights, everything else I'm keeping it original...

Last case scenario, at MOT time, I just put in the halogen light's back in, code them again with my pc, and that's that, and then put them back in, you dont need to remove the bumber to swap them so I think it's not that big of a deal.

A lot of folks are rolling like this correct?

post #10 of 13 Old 9th April 2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

By the way, what are reasonable prices for a pair of xenon ballasts?
post #11 of 13 Old 9th April 2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

not cheep chinese crap, but fairly decent ones?

Thanks in advance
post #12 of 13 Old 11th April 2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Oliveira View Post
Well I've decided to do what the majoraty of you guys do...

Just ordered the kufacec adapter, going to buy the xenon headlights used from a local dude that's selling them and done...

When it comes for MOT time, Im just gonna go to a guy that I know that I think can get me thru, It's just the headlights, everything else I'm keeping it original...

Last case scenario, at MOT time, I just put in the halogen light's back in, code them again with my pc, and that's that, and then put them back in, you dont need to remove the bumber to swap them so I think it's not that big of a deal.

A lot of folks are rolling like this correct?

Hey I am new to Audis.
What software / cables / kit do you need to code etc?
Thanks
post #13 of 13 Old 11th April 2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeuk View Post
Hey I am new to Audis.
What software / cables / kit do you need to code etc?
Thanks
From what I have read and researched about this, well first you need your ECU to be " unlocked " I believe from Audi, then you need VAG-COM cable + VAG-COM software on a windows PC to code them... I've seen users say what values you need to change and where...

But I've privately messaged some users that have done these things but so far haven't gotten an answer.

Hope this helps.

However if someone wiser on this issue sees this please feel free to comment or correct what I just wrote :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode