Swapping OEM Xenon bulbs > 6000k HID bulbs - Page 2 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 Old 25th March 2015, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I'm not sure what the exact difference is but I switched to the Philips D3S xenon bulb and now it's way brighter than my stock xenons. In fact oncoming cars flash their brights on me all the time. My visibility is 100% better.

2013 RS5 Coupe | Prism Silver Crystal | Carbon Ceramic Brakes | Titanium Pack | Black Optics | Sport Exhaust | Driver Assist Pack | Dunlop Wintersport 3DS
2014 Q5 3.0T | Premium Plus| Eurocode F&R Sway Bars |
Gone:
2011 S5 Cabriolet Quartz Grey | 20x10 Morr VS11 Wheels | Eurocode Sway Bars & End links | AWE S-Flo Intake| AWE Exhaust | APR Stage 2 Tune & Pulley| Bilstein PSS10 |
post #32 of 33 Old 25th March 2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Cool

Interesting topic....been discussed before here. My experience has been that these bulbs degrade over time loosing some % of their intensity through filament degeneration as well as a film developing on the inside and outside of the glass enclosure.
When a bulb on my car blew last July I purchased a pair of standard 4300K white bulbs and at first only changed the failed bulb assembly. At night the new bulb was noticeably whiter and brighter than the other side with the older bulb. After removing the other bulb it was evident that there was a film on the glass on the outside. I wiped the glass and the film came off on a wet paper towel but there was some on the inside, too. Sure it was a contributor to the reduced brightness.
I purchased my bulbs from a website called Onyxlights.com which has all of the xenon intensities available. They state that the bulbs they sell are warrranted for a year / lifetime 3000+hours.
Just my experience

#1 2012 S5 Cabriolet Prestige, APR stage 1, AWE catback exhaust with blackdiamondtips, Eurocode front & rear swaybars and endlinks, Stoptech street performance brakes and slotted discs, RS5 pedals, Autostyle S5 mats front/rear +trunk
April 2016 Hankook Vetus V12 255/19/35 on OEM Rotors
#2 2014 335xi GT, M Performance Edition, Black Saphire, Coral Red leather, Harmon Kardon sound, GPS, Intelekey. No Mods.................yet!
post #33 of 33 Old 31st March 2015, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
Interesting topic....been discussed before here. My experience has been that these bulbs degrade over time loosing some % of their intensity through filament degeneration as well as a film developing on the inside and outside of the glass enclosure.
When a bulb on my car blew last July I purchased a pair of standard 4300K white bulbs and at first only changed the failed bulb assembly. At night the new bulb was noticeably whiter and brighter than the other side with the older bulb. After removing the other bulb it was evident that there was a film on the glass on the outside. I wiped the glass and the film came off on a wet paper towel but there was some on the inside, too. Sure it was a contributor to the reduced brightness.
I purchased my bulbs from a website called Onyxlights.com which has all of the xenon intensities available. They state that the bulbs they sell are warrranted for a year / lifetime 3000+hours.
Just my experience
Had a look at their D3S bulbs, got a question for those in the know - the standard bulbs in my '09 A5 seem to be 35w (not as bright as my 55w conversion kit in my fiesta). If I bought the 55w D3S, would they be any brighter?

I thought that the balast is what dictates the wattage and intensity of the bulb in HIDs.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode