SparX's DPF delete - straight pipe fun - PICTURE HEAVY - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sparx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

SparX's DPF delete - straight pipe fun - PICTURE HEAVY

Hi guys, long time no post!

I took last weekend out to do the hardware side of the deleting the DPF on my 3.0tdi. There's loads of resource online, but thought id share my experience with you, hopefully it might come in handy for someone!

So, I found a new pipe on ebay for around (170 delivered.)Sweeeet

Came from Germany in three days! Theres a bit of steam punk saxophone about it, which I dig.

Quick blip over to Audi to collect some new gaskets (9)

Aaaaaand the first issue to address is the sensor fitting... The bungs welded into the pipe are obviously for a different (aftermarket?) type of sensor that my OE EGT sensors didn't fit correctly. The sensor has a shoulder designed to be tightened on to a flange inside the bung, which wasn't present in the new pipe.

So id have to find some m14 male x m14 female adaptors (not as easy as you'd think....) that would lift the sensor out a little and give the sensor a shoulder to bolt up to!

looks good!

So it starts looking like this:

Looking at the bay, several things will need to be moved out of the way to get enough access from the engine bay. Not least of which is the heat shield pretty much surrounding the DPF.

These are the steps I took:
1. Screws through heatshield into metal cross member
2. Power distribution box (removing an earth and a red power cable to the cabin)
3. metal crossmember / brace
4. Vacuum pipe (going through the heatsheild... careful, the pipe are rigid plastic and like splitting)
5. move ecu loom and power out of the way undoing enough ties to relieve any strain
6. water send and return to the cabin heater matrix

after all that the shield should slide out with no drama!

Heres where the fun starts... sensor off and turbo bolts loosened the biggest pain in the arse is the single bolt that is only accessible from the underside of the car...

I had to create an abomination using a million 1/4inch extensions and adaptors in order to get to the top ones, and a similar configuration for the bottom one. Slightly better access can be had by using a jack on the exhaust to slightly move it to be able to get the extension bars between the exhaust and the gearbox.

after MUCH huffing and puffing, its out!

time for the steampunk saxophone to take its place

Everything back on, fairly simple, just the steps in reverse

All the rest of the exhaust system is stock, for now, but I took a video before and after for anyone that's interested in the exhaust sound difference, ill have to do a bit of editing and upload it somewhere if anyone is interested.

While it wasn't in limp mode, throttle response is now awesome, less lag due to quicker spool, thanks to greatly reduced backpressure. Revs freely and with no immediate tail off above 4500rpm, in fact now sounds like a real v6! power delivery is very smooth, I would say even more so than the Celtic Tuning remap added previously. Loads of VNT turbo whistle noises too

Intercooler next
julianwhitta likes this.
post #2 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)

Why can't I see the pics!?

So you going to do it all again for MOT time!? Hope you used copper grease on the nuts and bolts to aid the yearly swop back to the DPF for MOT?

I am tempted to remove the DPF, for the noise alone, my straight pipes are good, but sometimes want more noise!
post #3 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

yeh I went this route rather than gutting the original dpf in case it ever becomes a problem

Images are ob imgur.com - maybe blocked if in work?
post #4 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx View Post
yeh I went this route rather than gutting the original dpf in case it ever becomes a problem

Images are ob imgur.com - maybe blocked if in work?
This is what I was thinking if I did a dPF delete!

And yes! Can see them now, going through VPN @work
post #5 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 06:29 AM

That downpipe looks good for 170!!

I bet when you get a proper exhaust, it will sound good!!

I can just about hear how good mine sounds under the noise restricting DPF!
post #6 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

OK ok guys hold on I'm lost.

on my old car (seat leon FR 2.0tdi) I got the car remapped along with the DPF removal. This meant that the DPF enclosure was burnt open and the guts of the DPF removed then the enclosure welded back up with the sensor still in place.

so can I ask what have you done exactly? have you removed the DPF part? with the use of a down pipe? thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Would you mind putting the videos of before and after up on Youtube?

I've seen prices starting from 400 for the DPF delete pipe and then decoding out the DPF sensors plus mapping ends up at another 400+, so the 170 is a bargain especially if you don't get any fault codes or have the car go into limp mode!

Was this a one off delete pipe or do you have a link as to where I may be able to purchase one?

2008 A5 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro Manual | Advanced Key | 19" Y alloys | B&O | 3G MMI with Sat Nav & Reversing Camera | Puddle Lights | Auto Dimming Mirrors | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Suspension Package | Interior light pack | Auto Wipers | Memory Seating Position | Folding Mirrors |

Mods added: White LED fog lights | White LED numberplate lights | Pressed Metal Numberplates | AMI retrofitted / connector in armrest | Ambient lighting | LED's in doorcard pockets | Facelift LED rear lights |
post #8 of 12 Old 24th March 2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

hey @Jamyy10 on ebay, there various ones that pop up if you look for 3.0tdi downpipe, heres one :

70mm Downpipe DPF Dieselpartikelfilter Ersatzrohr Audi A4 A5 3.0 TDI | eBay

Celtic Tuning have already done my remap so they offer a deal where 'adding' extras to the map (like egr, dpf delete, vmax removal etc) is only a few bucks when you come to need them. They even offer a reflash (for a small charge, I forget what) if you get your remapped ecu 'updated' by VW/Audi as part of their emissions-gate fix.
@hoggy90 yes mate, dpf out, straight pipe as a replacement, temp sensors back on, no pressure sensors. Don't get me wrong, without the software changes you will get EML, dpf warnings, and eventual limp mode, but wont be a problem after the software is taken care of.
The benefit is the nice smooth exit from the turbo, no hard right angles and odd diameters, so greatly reduced turbulence and much less back pressure.
@Dave Kwatro do it, it roars!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'10 3.0TDI Sline SpecEd Q
post #9 of 12 Old 26th March 2016, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Garage
I now have the Darkside DPF on my car. Straight fit and all sensors fix perfect.

I also bought one from Poland from Ebay rm-motors-en. The quality of the work was great but in the end the pipe would not fit and only the lambda sensor fitted. The other sensors would not fit.

Not had the car out to see what it sounds like...... Next is the backboxes

Craig

A5 3.0tdi Sport REVO stage 2, Darkside FMIC and DPF delete. K&N Cone.
Genuine Ross-Tech Vagcom.

Last edited by K7ERG; 26th March 2016 at 05:37 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 26th March 2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Garage
whats it sound like with that on? what engine is it? and will it fix my 3.0 tdi 2008?
post #11 of 12 Old 27th March 2016, 01:33 PM

Garage
Noise is disappointing to be honest. As well as performance I never really noticed anything with the dpf delete and stage 2 Revo. Time for the rear boxes to come off and gain some noise and power.

The boost is still not achieving the figure set by Revo. No peak pressure just holding pressure of 22.9psi. I believe it should be peak 26psi and holding 23psi to redline.

Will have to do some data logging with vagcom to check further.

Any suggestions why I am short of boost.

Craig.

A5 3.0tdi Sport REVO stage 2, Darkside FMIC and DPF delete. K&N Cone.
Genuine Ross-Tech Vagcom.
post #12 of 12 Old 29th March 2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeh, the sound is nowhere as loud as a full system jobby, but there is a satisfying roar around 4k, and in gear changing is so quick on the power now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'10 3.0TDI Sline SpecEd Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode