Hi guys, long time no post!
I took last weekend out to do the hardware side of the deleting the DPF on my 3.0tdi. There's loads of resource online, but thought id share my experience with you, hopefully it might come in handy for someone!
So, I found a new pipe on ebay for around (£170 delivered.)Sweeeet
Came from Germany in three days! Theres a bit of steam punk saxophone about it, which I dig.
Quick blip over to Audi to collect some new gaskets (£9)
Aaaaaand the first issue to address is the sensor fitting... The bungs welded into the pipe are obviously for a different (aftermarket?) type of sensor that my OE EGT sensors didn't fit correctly. The sensor has a shoulder designed to be tightened on to a flange inside the bung, which wasn't present in the new pipe.
So id have to find some m14 male x m14 female adaptors (not as easy as you'd think....) that would lift the sensor out a little and give the sensor a shoulder to bolt up to!
So it starts looking like this:
Looking at the bay, several things will need to be moved out of the way to get enough access from the engine bay. Not least of which is the heat shield pretty much surrounding the DPF.
These are the steps I took:
1. Screws through heatshield into metal cross member
2. Power distribution box (removing an earth and a red power cable to the cabin)
3. metal crossmember / brace
4. Vacuum pipe (going through the heatsheild... careful, the pipe are rigid plastic and like splitting)
5. move ecu loom and power out of the way undoing enough ties to relieve any strain
6. water send and return to the cabin heater matrix
after all that the shield should slide out with no drama!
Heres where the fun starts... sensor off and turbo bolts loosened the biggest pain in the arse is the single bolt that is only accessible from the underside of the car...
I had to create an abomination using a million 1/4inch extensions and adaptors in order to get to the top ones, and a similar configuration for the bottom one. Slightly better access can be had by using a jack on the exhaust to slightly move it to be able to get the extension bars between the exhaust and the gearbox.
after MUCH huffing and puffing, its out!
time for the steampunk saxophone to take its place
Everything back on, fairly simple, just the steps in reverse
All the rest of the exhaust system is stock, for now, but I took a video before and after for anyone that's interested in the exhaust sound difference, ill have to do a bit of editing and upload it somewhere if anyone is interested.
While it wasn't in limp mode, throttle response is now awesome, less lag due to quicker spool, thanks to greatly reduced backpressure. Revs freely and with no immediate tail off above 4500rpm, in fact now sounds like a real v6! power delivery is very smooth, I would say even more so than the Celtic Tuning remap added previously. Loads of VNT turbo whistle noises too