LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 29th March 2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Question 2009 3.0tdi auto gearbox snaggles

Hi,
I was wondering if this version of the Auto 'Box installed in the 2009 has had any known problems?

Iíve noticed on mine, if i drive in a sporty manner whilst the selector is in D, my gearbox changes become much snappier, and often change down at much higher speeds, even after Iíve started driving sedately.

normal gear changes up and down when in D:

1-2 (4mph up / 3mph down)
2-3 (17mph up / 7mph down)
3-4 (26mph up / 24mph down)

when the issue arrises its more like this:

1-2 (12mph up / 9mph down)
2-3 (21mph up / 19mph down)
3-4 (28mph up / 26mph down)

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue - its rather irritating when having to join traffic quickly, then slowing to approach a roundabout 5 mins later. Occasionally, this issue arises when Iím on the Míway, and only becomes apparent when Iíve left and Iím driving through 30mph regions. Problem is usually resolved (2 out of 3 times) by turning the engine off, removing the key and re-starting.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050
post #2 of 9 Old 30th March 2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Sure is isnt your DPF trying to regenerate?

Sounds like it could be i.e. engine revs higher on the up, changes down lower.

When you are at idle and this is happening, are your revs around 800 rather than 600? If so then your car is trying to regenerate and the last thing you should do is switch off and back on again as it will kill the cycle.

If the above is the case, suggest that you get her out on the motorway, stick it in 5th gear and drive at 75 for 20 minutes or so to get everything cleared out. Then when it wants to change higher and the revs are up then drive it until it all 'settles' back to normal.

Search DPF regeneration and see if this sounds like your query?
post #3 of 9 Old 30th March 2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have a look, but as I said, this happens sometimes when I've been on the motorway at 80-90mph for best part of 3 hours.

It seams to be linked with a sudden need for some spirited driving whilst in D as opposed to shifting to S.

I do 24k miles a year, with 2x 260mile motorway journeys every month, followed by 2 - 3 weeks of either idleness (when its parked up in the outskirts of london where I work), or being driven around plymouth (where I live).

so I doubt it's from coking up, as it seems to happen at any time but only after some spirited driving in D, as stated above.

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

post #4 of 9 Old 31st March 2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hmmm agree it doesnt sound like it is a regen... apologies for giving you the rhyme and verse then

I have a 3.0d with a tiptronic (Torque converter) and it hasnt ever done as you describe even when given a good drive in 'D'. The box is supposed to learn from driving tyle i think however cant see that would explain all your symptons.

Not a lot of use here - hope someone else on the forum is able to assist.
post #5 of 9 Old 31st March 2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers anyway Ben.

Ive had a bit of think about it, and Ive noticed that one of the first symptoms I'm aware of is usually an exhaust note change. Somehow its different, more "throaty and vicious".

Ill have an experiment to see if its a regen cycle (look at idle revs, take note of when it occurs - town driving or not - see if it stops itself after 20mins)

However, I remain open to ideas from anyone else here (I'm still new to the A5 scene - I've only had it a year or so)

K

post #6 of 9 Old 31st March 2015, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)

Garage
Hey Max.

Do you know exactly what Auto box you have? Is it the S-tronic, multitronic or triptronic (I think those last two are different...?!)?

Here is a linked to a thread I made about some slight issues with my gearbox, which is a multitronic on a 09' 2.0TFSI:

https://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-genera...ox-issues.html

While the symptoms are slightly different, the underlying cause could be the same perhaps? Is this something you have ever noticed with yours when going from a hill start (like it struggles to hold the clutch, then suddenly releases too heavily and jolts forward)?

Cant say I have particularly noticed behaviour like you have listed, but I might just not be looking for it!

Current: Carless....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #7 of 9 Old 31st March 2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm sure it's the tiptronic, its 6 gears not 8 and no "launch" ability.

It can be snappy when I move off, but Im sure that that is because I'm moving from brake to throttle faster (with more throttle input than it expects) before the torque diverter can disengage and start putting a small amount of torque into the gearbox again to make to move off smooth.

When stationary on brakes or handbrake, the auto box will divert the idle engine torque through a diverter / recouper to stop the car from fighting against the brakes and breaking something in the drive train by over stressing it. Hence why you shouldn't put an auto into N when stationary at lights or in traffic, it's extra wear on the gearbox.

That's what Audi told me along with my own research.

K

post #8 of 9 Old 31st March 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2ksr View Post
Cheers anyway Ben.

Ive had a bit of think about it, and Ive noticed that one of the first symptoms I'm aware of is usually an exhaust note change. Somehow its different, more "throaty and vicious".

Ill have an experiment to see if its a regen cycle (look at idle revs, take note of when it occurs - town driving or not - see if it stops itself after 20mins)

However, I remain open to ideas from anyone else here (I'm still new to the A5 scene - I've only had it a year or so)

K
The exhaust note change suggests a regen, my milltek sounds awesome during a regen

Current: 2013 S5 Black Edition Sportback
Previous: 2009 A5 3.0TDi quattro S-Tronic Sportback
post #9 of 9 Old 1st April 2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle View Post
The exhaust note change suggests a regen, my milltek sounds awesome during a regen
Snap, which makes me think it could be a regen.

Im not going to be driving it for another few days atleast, and that'l most likely be for the long drive from northwood to plymouth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode