• 1 Post By A5 Blue
  • 1 Post By moominjuice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 19th March 2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Red X Fuel cleaner, to use or not to use??

Hi, anyone got any advice on if it is good or bad on a 3.0TDI Quattro to use this stuff or not?? Many thanks, Jamie
post #2 of 23 Old 19th March 2015, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Ha ha... funnily I've got a bottle waiting for my next full tank. I was given it so no harm in sticking it in. I run every 3rd or 4th fill up with high-end diesel anyway (which has it's own similar additives) so I doubt it will make a blind bit of difference other than psychologically feeling like I've done a good thing. Not sure I'd fork out for it myself... having said that I'm not driving it daily these days so if the injectors are going to get clogged up then now's as good a time as any to use it.
Jfh8477 likes this.

Audi A5 quattro 3.0Ltr tdi coupé
Aruba Blue - Pre F/L Xenons & DRL - Servotronic - 8.5Jx18 245/40 R18 - Stock suspension
post #3 of 23 Old 19th March 2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the comment, appreciated. I will give it a go...
post #4 of 23 Old 19th March 2015, 02:23 PM

Going for a country length run next week so we should compare notes ;-)

Aruba Blue - Pre F/L Xenons & DRL - Servotronic - 8.5Jx18 245/40 R18 - Stock suspension
post #5 of 23 Old 22nd March 2015, 09:59 AM

Well went for a nice long drive today after putting some Red X in. Wasn't quite a full tank and I was very liberal with my measure.
Usually I get around 41-45mpg on a very good day. However as the journey progressed it got as high as 48.7mpg - sustained for at least half an hour!. Ok this was gentle cruising, above 10 degrees temp and on Norfolk roads (very flat) - but had a boot of luggage, Mrs and the dog. I can't recall what diesel I topped up with... not premium but not supermarket either... so whatever is happening I'm happy with that kind of economy whether it's cleaning it or not.
Jfh8477 likes this.

Last edited by moominjuice; 22nd March 2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 22nd March 2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Question

Is this what you guys are refering to:-

Halfords | Redex Diesel Treatment 500ml
Jfh8477 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 23rd March 2015, 12:54 AM

That's the one. Used to use it years ago but fuels are more advanced thse days so not sure whether it's useful or not. However, I know when my brother's injectors went it cost an arm and a leg... so £8.99 every 12 months or so is nothing.

post #8 of 23 Old 23rd March 2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the update, I shall be waiting for my fuel level to get low on my 400mile journey and be dropping some in when I refuel......

Always wonder if this stuff makes a difference, glad to know it does!!
post #9 of 23 Old 23rd March 2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominjuice View Post
That's the one. Used to use it years ago but fuels are more advanced thse days so not sure whether it's useful or not. However, I know when my brother's injectors went it cost an arm and a leg... so £8.99 every 12 months or so is nothing.
Thanks
I've bought some today so will give it a try in a few weeks time as I've got a decent long journey to do & the tank will get brimmed.

Will report back on the results.
post #10 of 23 Old 24th March 2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow: did my journey today. 205 miles each way from East Kent to Yeovil. There and back a 410 mile trip. I had a half tank of fuel on the outward journey and AVG was 44.1mpg. I had 60 miles left in the tank and refuelled putting in the 1/4 top up of Red X and did exactly the same journey home, same speed and route, and mostly about 80mph all the way and AVG was also 48.7mpg (the chances I hear you say) well worth the purchase I'd say
post #11 of 23 Old 24th March 2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And forgot to add, the best part was I put £50.00 in the tank with 60miles remaining. This on the indicator gave me a mm above 3/4 and I am about 1mm below half a tank upon arriving home!!
post #12 of 23 Old 24th March 2015, 01:13 PM

1 bottle good for 4 tanks too so can't be bad.

Will be interesting to see what next tank of ordinary diesel gives. If it drops back to normal it will probably show that it's just a chemical burn difference which fools the ECU rather than actually making the jets cleaner and burning more efficiently. I'm open minded still.
Jfh8477 likes this.

Last edited by moominjuice; 24th March 2015 at 01:22 PM.
post #13 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Red X is only a mild cleaner with fuel additives that makes you fuel burn better, it normally doesn't make any difference when you fill up next tank, I was told to be very careful, with this sort of cleaners on VAG cars as these injectors are very sensitive to any cleaners. So far I've found one good product that cleans the injectors without damaging anything is "Liqui Moly" diesel purge. The only downside is that to make it work you have to run it neat, but it has an effect what this famous Terra clean does. And if you want your injectors to be happy afterwards you can get Millers Oils, just ad add one dose to a full tank of fuel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-1...rds=liqui+moly
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Millers-Oils.../dp/B002WCAISS

A5 Sportback 3.0TDI Qattro S-Tronic
post #14 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 01:59 AM

Cheers Sonny. To be honest I'm slightly dubious about additives (I know some will swear by them) but in my case I like to just give the injectors a spring clean (literally) so any waxy crap from standing and cold winter months is reduced. For the rest of the year I run every 3rd or 4th tank with high end stuff. Bizarrely my return journey economy wasn't as high and the feelgood factor soon wore off. I'm sure the engine was just as happy having a 5 hour drive... I know I was ;-)

post #15 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Garage
I know some people refer RedEx to snakeoil but I generally used it in the past the fill up before an MOT.
I believe the detergents in it are similar to putting in Vpower diesel, so I also used this every few fills. It was pre-dpf and it did decrease the smog.

With a diesel I would now give BG244 a try as it seems to be mostly positive feedback but I would use things like this only once a year, expensive but part of an MOT makes it acceptable . I've used the petrol version in mine BG44K, I also saw that Kwikfit try to push this stuff whenever people get an MOT. About BG products

Power Enhancer | BG 244 | Diesel Engine Cleaners | Fuel Injector Cleaner

A5 2.0TFSI Quattro S-line (SE)
post #16 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
To those getting 45+mpg on long runs, what kind of speed are you going at?

When I'm running on my usual 260mile "commute", I'm usually getting 41-43mpg on a good day, sat on cruise control at 75-80mph.

Ive had my ECU tuned to about 285-290bhp, which I was informed by numerous perople, should increase my mpg slightly on steady m'way driving.

Am I more likely seeing a drop in mpg due to my tune? Or is it from a dirty engine? (also, my air filter needs changing)

2009 A5 3.0tdi, 19" Y spoke wheels, silver, tinted windows, B&O, full Bluetooth prep, mmi2g with satnav, electronic seats, cruise control, xenon headlights, miltek cat back, ecu tune (290bhp, 587nm), led number plate lights.

Also a Triumph Sprint ST 1050
post #17 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Just got my car back from having the dreaded oil consumption test, new engine fitted but was worried that the cat would be fouled due to the huge amount of black oil deposits that I had on the tail pipes - resembled a collection of stalagmites...

Read some good reviews about the below stuff and after only a short 8 mile trip home can see a difference in both fuel economy and response... well I hope its not a placebo effect!!!

http://http://www.halfords.com/motor...ean-475ml#tab1

Can be used on both petrol and diesel

Audi A5 2.0 TFSI (211) S-Line Quattro - 2009 - Pearlescent Deep Green - Bluetooth - Electric seats - Folding mirrors - DRL - 19 alloys - Black leather seats - 6sp manual - LED Fogs & number plate - 15mm & 20mm spacers - H&R OE springs 29061-1- Oh have I told you a factory replaced new engine

Awaiting fitting - Window Tints F&R 15% & interior LEDs

Gone - VW Golf R32 Mk5 - Pearlescent Black - 3dr - DSG - Forge induction kit
post #18 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2ksr View Post
To those getting 45+mpg on long runs, what kind of speed are you going at?

When I'm running on my usual 260mile "commute", I'm usually getting 41-43mpg on a good day, sat on cruise control at 75-80mph.

Ive had my ECU tuned to about 285-290bhp, which I was informed by numerous perople, should increase my mpg slightly on steady m'way driving.

Am I more likely seeing a drop in mpg due to my tune? Or is it from a dirty engine? (also, my air filter needs changing)
Well first off with fuel additive/cleaner and doing around 60-65mph.. so best case scenario for higher mpg.
If I'd got a remap and was getting 41-43 I'd be happy as a pig in mud. I don't think you have anything to worry about as that's pretty typical of most... except you've got the extra horses too :thumbup:

From what I can gather it depends on the type of map (economy/economy-performane/performance) and down to your driving style too. Too variable to say.

One other thing is when the DPF is regenerating extra fuel is pumped in so the ECU deliberately messes with the economy... so some days it may appear a little less spritely and heavier on fuel.

At the end of the day...for me it's not about how many teaspoons of diesel I'm using it's just about keeping it tip top and making sure the injectors are as clear and clean as they can be.

post #19 of 23 Old 1st April 2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCainEr View Post
I know some people refer RedEx to snakeoil but I generally used it in the past the fill up before an MOT.
I believe the detergents in it are similar to putting in Vpower diesel, so I also used this every few fills. It was pre-dpf and it did decrease the smog.

With a diesel I would now give BG244 a try as it seems to be mostly positive feedback but I would use things like this only once a year, expensive but part of an MOT makes it acceptable . I've used the petrol version in mine BG44K, I also saw that Kwikfit try to push this stuff whenever people get an MOT. About BG products

Power Enhancer | BG 244 | Diesel Engine Cleaners | Fuel Injector Cleaner
A while back I was in a local motor factors I was asking one of the old boys about DPF regen and some other additive products. He just chuckled and said save your money and then (knowing it was a 3.0tdi I had) spent the next ten minutes convincing me to get a remap instead ha ha ha. I love the fact he wasn't arsed about selling me any of their stuff but was more appalled that I wasn't taking full advantage of that engine.

post #20 of 23 Old 2nd April 2015, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would massively recommend the TERRA CLEAN. Think it was featured on wheeler dealers and there is a local company that does this so i thought i would give it a try. Made a big difference, car was quieter, felt more responsive and brought back a smile to my face when putting my foot down. Its about £120 but was worth every penny!

Just Purchased Audi S5 v8

Mine
- Audi S5. 4.2L V8 -

<< Click here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 23 Old 2nd April 2015, 03:23 AM

Is there any kind of guarantee against damage with terraclean? I'd not heard about it before visiting here but most people seem pretty happy with the results.

post #22 of 23 Old 2nd April 2015, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Im not sure about any damage - i think with what they do there isnt any damage that can be caused internally.
However they have the usual insurance etc in case they damaged it while doing the job?

Just Purchased Audi S5 v8

Mine
- Audi S5. 4.2L V8 -

<< Click here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 23 Old 2nd April 2015, 03:31 AM

Cheers... just locating a local agent on their website :thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode