Annoying ticking noise! - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 30th November 2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Annoying ticking noise!

Has anyone else noticed an intermittent ticking type noise eminating from the dash board of their A5 / S5? My S5 is driving me mad and Audi dont have an answer.
post #2 of 31 Old 30th November 2007, 10:41 AM

Ticking

My A5 also has an intermittent clock like tick coming from the dash.Audi have no idea so if you rectify this fault please let me know.
sorry not to be of any help.
post #3 of 31 Old 30th November 2007, 11:47 AM

Sorry. No noise. Indeed, anyone hearing anything other than engine or wind noise (or radio) is probably hearing something they shouldnt.

SOLD June 2010: Audi S5
Phantom Black | Pearl Silver seats | Silver Headlining | Carbon Inlay| B & O | Nav Plus | TV | Bluetooth | Comfort Pack | Heated F/R seats | Parking Plus | Hill-hold assist | Advanced Key | Cruise | Storage
Modifications
Milltek Cat back exhaust (non-res) | 15mm spacers | KW V2 coilovers (lowered f: 25mm, r: 20mm) | Sportec pedals
Misc adjustments
DRLs no longer dim with indicators| DRLS no longer dim on side light setting | MMI 4690 to 5570 | TV in motion unlocked.
post #4 of 31 Old 30th November 2007, 02:07 PM

possible climatronic(heating)motors setting them selfs in auto mode.May be wrong but try adjusting the controls when the ticking starts and see if the tone of the ticking changes.I would expect this tick to be prompted when first entering the car as the auto mode will move the motors to the required setting.
post #5 of 31 Old 30th November 2007, 02:35 PM

Run away from the car! It's going to blow up! tick tick tick tick tick
post #6 of 31 Old 1st December 2007, 09:19 PM

noise

I am pretty sure that noice is from the climate control (I have it as well).

If it is the same its most noticable when the interior is up to temp - try just adjusting your driver side temp up or down by 0.5 C and I'm sure you will notice the ticking rate increase or stop altogether.

Mark
post #7 of 31 Old 4th December 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Mine ticks as well.

Simon
Mine dosen't .

My wifes previous golf did this all the time, and I think I was told it had to do with the servo motors in the climate control system. It will occasionally do itfor 15 minutes, then go away once the car is warm? OUr Audi Tech guy may have some valuable info for this issue......

• S5 • Phantom Black • Silver • loaded •
post #8 of 31 Old 5th December 2007, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know how to fix the problem with the audible ticking...

...Turn up the stereo!

...Cars are getting quieter and quieter all the time and now we can hear stuff that was previously masked by engine, wind and road noise as well as rattling trim... such as the noise of our hands on the steering wheel or your wife in the passenger seat.

I suggest we try to market a 'motoring nostalgia' CD that plays road and wind noise, with additional tracks for when a release bearing is failing, a synchro is worn, a wheel bearing has collapsed and when you are on one of those terrible 1960s concrete roads.

Ex S5 Driver... now driving a Jaguar XF S.
post #9 of 31 Old 5th December 2007, 06:43 AM

Ticking noise

My new A5 with B&O sounds is also making that very annoying, muffled ticking noise which you really hear when the car is turned off. It sounds electrical rather than mechanical and I (thought) could be related to the AMI problems I have experienced - the audio output gets really bad interference (all audio outputs). It goes into the shop next week (Monday) to rectify (I hope).
post #10 of 31 Old 5th December 2007, 06:44 AM

I have the same problem - it sounds electrical to me. Mine goes into the shop on Monday - have you had it fixed yet?
post #11 of 31 Old 5th December 2007, 07:04 AM

Maybe the speaker ticking is interference from your phone? Do you all happen to have 3G phones?
post #12 of 31 Old 31st December 2007, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I had mine into dealership technician put it down to a slow running vent fan still not convinced however has anyone had problems with outside temp gauge i have had mine replaced but the car still reads 2 degrees higher than other cars in same condition reply would be greatfully accepted by the way happy new year to everyone
post #13 of 31 Old 31st December 2007, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Ianhp1;7183]I know how to fix the problem with the audible ticking...

...Turn up the stereo!
[QUOTE]

...or if you're in an S5, open the window and depress your right foot onto the pedal on the right until it will go no further!

Seriously though, I get my car on Wednesday and will check this out, and also ask my dealer. None of my previous Audis did this, nor my parent's 3, nor my brother's 2, so don't think it's that common if it's the climate control.

Audi history:
95-98 A4 1.8T Sport; 98-03 A4 2.8 quattro; 03-07 S4 4.2 quattro (all saloons)
Now own: (Jan 08-present) A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys | Philips X-tremeVision +50% light 4800k Xenon bulbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 31 Old 23rd March 2010, 02:09 AM

hi,

this thread is SO old, apologies for bringing it back up but rather than start another thread i figured i'd chime in.

i just picked up a '10 A5 (S-Line) and i'm experiencing exactly the issues described in the original post. also, the possible cause and 'fix' posted by #6 (markus) are completely in line with my experiences. once the car is up to temperature, a faint 'ticking' sound at roughly 1 sec intervals can be heard. if i adjust the climate control by just a degree (up or down) i can hear the fans change speed as well as other mechanical things needed for the adjustment and the ticking stops.

anyway, this is my first audi and i absolutely LOVE the car - just wondering if the original poster or if any of you can verify that this problem, although maybe not normal, is nothing to worry about.

as i've read in other posts, sometimes taking it in to fix one noise can potentially create another! hehe...and with my luck...that'd probably be the case.

regardless, i'm SO glad to be a part of this 'owners-club' and i'm looking forward to contributing to these forums while enjoying my new audi for years to come!

-dave
post #15 of 31 Old 23rd March 2010, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to guidoa5s
might be your back axle
post #16 of 31 Old 23rd March 2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoa5s View Post
might be your back axle
thanks, i appreciate the advice - i'll be sure to check that out.

-dave
post #17 of 31 Old 23rd March 2010, 04:39 PM

hi,

just a quick update and a wrap-up of my involvement in this thread.

i took my car to the dealership unannounced (no appointment), asked one of the technicians to come out and give it a listen. he pretty much said what has been mentioned here - he said the sounds are just the normal operational noises of the 'flap-system' used by the climate control.

since my previous car didn't have such a system (and since this car is only a week old) i was unfamiliar with sounds. i just wanted to make sure everything is working correctly before i get a chance to screw it up myself. :-)

so cool - just figured i'd let u guys know what i found out.

thanks!
post #18 of 31 Old 24th March 2010, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Garage
Another possibility; In my old A4 Cab, the CD player in the radio used to click for a bit if there was no CD in the drive. I guess it was trying to scan for a disc.

Not sure if the A5 radio/CD/MMI does the same as I have CD loaded into it...

Chris.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Actual Fuel Consumption: 33.27 MPG (UK Gallon)(Premium Unleaded 95 RON)
Actual Fuel Consumption: 33.08 MPG (UK Gallon)(Super Unleaded 97+ RON)
Price per Mile: 0.18GBP (Premium Unleaded 95 RON)(May-2010 to Feb-2012)
Price per Mile: 0.18GBP (Super Unleaded 97+ RON)(Feb-2012 to - Feb 2016)
Oil Consumption:1292.99 Km/Ltr
post #19 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Mine went into the dealer for this annoying 'ticking' noise on Tuesday. Under Audi UK instruction and warranty they replaced the climate control unit as a know issue. It hasn't fixed it, dealer now scratching head ???? Car still with them as they will call Audi on Tuesday for next step and I've told them to keep it until it's sorted.

Spinner

Supercharged (inc w/meth) 531ps / 628nm

S5 V8| Meteor Grey, Saddle Brown and all the tricks, rolling on Vossen CV3's & Michelin PPS's
Milltek no res cat-back & downpipes + de-cat | KW Variant 2 coilovers | 034 Transmission Mount insert
Sportec pedal set | RS brakes | BMC air filter | Stratmosphere short throw shifter | Flat bottom steering |
post #20 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 10:57 AM

I get a bit of ticking everyday from down around my pedals when crawling out of the driveway, very brief and very consistent, sounds like they are calibrating themselves or something. Is it possible you guys are hearing this noise but thinking that it comes from the dash?

2009 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro, 6 speed, Brilliant Black, Premium, Nav/MMI, iPod, etc.
post #21 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

you need to specify the digital clock option to prevent ticking noise

Tesla Model S P100D
post #22 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 11:21 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdevilcar View Post
I get a bit of ticking everyday from down around my pedals when crawling out of the driveway, very brief and very consistent, sounds like they are calibrating themselves or something. Is it possible you guys are hearing this noise but thinking that it comes from the dash?
Thanks for the info but nope definately coming from the dash and can be stopped by turning the air con off so something to do with that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruffle
you need to specify the digital clock option to prevent ticking noise
That's all very well gruf but at school I was only taught to read analog or more likely I missed the part of the lesson they taught digital clocks, probably due to attempting to set light to the bunson burn gas tap or something similar

Spinner

S5 V8| Meteor Grey, Saddle Brown and all the tricks, rolling on Vossen CV3's & Michelin PPS's
Milltek no res cat-back & downpipes + de-cat | KW Variant 2 coilovers | 034 Transmission Mount insert
Sportec pedal set | RS brakes | BMC air filter | Stratmosphere short throw shifter | Flat bottom steering |
post #23 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
probably due to attempting to set light to the bunson burn gas tap or something similar
tame ... lumps of sodium in the sink was much more entertaining ...err until we broke one !!!

Still remember the physics teaher standing in for the chemistry one and trying to prove that hydrogen burns with a flame and doesnt explode, until the silly sod let the reaction burn out at which point the flame burnt back into the glass pipe and ... yes we all got showered in glass... it was hysterical, the teacher was reduced to a gibbering idiot, still laugh today about it

Tesla Model S P100D
post #24 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
i'd check there's nothing made by Toyota down there if I were you

Tesla Model S P100D

Last edited by gruffle; 4th April 2010 at 11:59 AM.
post #25 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

This is an old old issue.... some earlier A5's had a problem with the 'glue' pads sticking the central steel or watever surrounds not sticking properly, maybe yours have lasted a while longer than most TTBOMK this problem was sorted late 2008 early 2009.
post #26 of 31 Old 4th April 2010, 12:04 PM

@ gruffle---au contraire my friend the brakes are spectacular. Was enjoying some spirited driving the other evening on a windy road and a stop sign came out of nowhere. Impressive drop of velocity from, ah, several mph to very few. Tell me a prius can handle that!

2009 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro, 6 speed, Brilliant Black, Premium, Nav/MMI, iPod, etc.
post #27 of 31 Old 8th April 2010, 04:53 PM
Site Sponsor

Car came back on Tuesday, Audi now deciding to replace actuators as the ticking is due to one of them sticking. This is what the dealer diagnosed orginally only to be overridden by Audi UK, apparently is a known problem throughout the Audi range. Part due in some time next week so car back in again on the 22nd.

Anyone with this problem don't ignore it, if the actuators are not functioning correctly it cocks up the climate control.

Spinner

post #28 of 31 Old 8th April 2010, 06:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to egemen_karabulut Send a message via Skype™ to egemen_karabulut
Quote:
I dont know if it is the same problem but sound similar. Whenever I start the engine on mycar and push gas pedal, at first 3 5 seconds, I sense something on gas pedal and some weird quite sound "clicck" is coming.. I really dont understand this problem on A5's

I also have this rattling sound, especially in winter. My car is on just 5000 mile. I took my car to audi dealer to inspect. Their response was at first nothing and after analysing car they told me that it is happening becaause of heat shield or somethings else causing. When they dont provide an accurate answer instead of saying they dont know actually, it is really pissing me off. What is the actual problem on the car, does anyone know??? It is just a weird sound coming everytime I came to full stop after driving very fast.

My experience with audi is getting f

2010 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro / Quartz Grey / Premium Plus Package / Navigation Plus / Carbon Fiber Inlays / Höen H11 Xenonmatch Fog Bulbs / VAG-COM Modes

Last edited by egemen_karabulut; 8th April 2010 at 06:44 PM.
post #29 of 31 Old 14th February 2013, 12:31 PM

Hi folks
My A5 has just got this clicking problem.
Does anyone know where the actuators are on the car and how best to get at them ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
post #30 of 31 Old 15th February 2013, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I get an annoying drone from the passenger side whenever the wifes in the car, but this seems to disappear when she gets out ?

Car
A5 Sportback 2.0 TDi quattro

Colour
Ibis White

Extras
Technology Pack - High (inc. AMI, Parking Sensors etc.), Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Flat-Bottomed Steering Wheel, Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Advanced Key, Sports Suspension, Cruise Control, 19" 7-Twin-Spoke Wheels, Heated Front & Rear Seats, Hill Hold, TPMS, Interior Light Pack & De-Badged.

Gone
2.0 TFSI Sportback in Daytona Grey, very similar spec to the above.

Last edited by NickH; 15th February 2013 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List