Strange noise from engine bay - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 4th July 2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Strange noise from engine bay

3.0 TDi Engine.
Last night I noticed a noise from the engine bay, the engine was not running and hadn't been running all day. I had just checked the oil ( via dipstick ) and when I closed the bonnet I could hear a quiet, high pitched squeal.

The sound was the same noise that you get if you take a cordless drill and squeeze the trigger very gently until the motor just begins to turn, there will be a squeal from the speed control electronics.

So I opened up again and prodded around, right at the back, in the centre, half under the top cover there is what looks like a motor connected to a pushrod, if I touched this the frequency changed.

Each time I opened the drivers door this noise would start, continue for maybe 20 seconds and then would terminate with a "splutch" noise, like pressure being released on a liquid.

Presumably something is cycling every time I open the door? I'm wondering what it could be! Has anyone noticed something like this or know what it is?
post #2 of 4 Old 4th July 2012, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)

Garage
I'm no expert on what all the noises are but I do know mine makes a few, all of which are normal.
Hopefully one of the other guys can tell exactly what they all are, as I'd be interested too.

Current:
His: 2014 S5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 V6 Supercharged Ibis White &
Hers: 2015 A4 S-Line Black Edition quattro 2.0TDi Daytona Grey

Previous:
2013 TT Black Edition quattro 2.0 TDi Brilliant Black
2011 A5 Coupe S-Line Special Edition 2.0T FSi 211 Phantom Black
2008 A4 S-Line Black Edition quattro 2.0T FSi 220 Phantom Black
2007 TT Sport 2.0T FSi Dolphin Grey
2003 A3 Sport 1.9TD(red)i Dolphin Grey
2000 TT quattro 180 Denim Blue
post #3 of 4 Old 4th July 2012, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Garage
I've heard a variety of noises from the front and back of the car when you unlock it and open the door. Some of it is start-up processes designed to make start and go faster/more efficient (this includes electronics like the multimedia unit booting up, environmental systems getting ready, etc). You can't start a car without opening the door so it makes sense.

Other than that I know each control module runs through a quick test on important components at start, to make sure that everything is connected and functioning properly so that error codes can be thrown at the start of a journey.

Can't comment on the specific sound that you're talking about, just chiming in to say that I've always heard similar sounds from my A5s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panther Black 2011 Audi RS5 Coupé 4.2 FSI Quattro S-Tronic
Mods: Google MMI 3G+ w/ RS Controls | Facelift LED Tail Lights | Valcona/Alcantara Half-Leather Super Sport Seats | Rear Seat Heating | Passenger Memory | LED Interior Light Pack | Storage Pack | Folding/Memory Mirrors | Auto-Dimming Mirrors | Side Assist | Lane Assist | Headlight Assist | Adaptive Cruise | TV Tuner | Advanced Key | Diamond Stitched Door Cards | Eventuri Intake | Facelift Brake Discs
post #4 of 4 Old 4th July 2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Thanks for replies.

I was pretty sure that it was normal routining, it's consistent and repeatable, I'm just one of those people that likes to know what everything is and why it does it!

If it hadn't been raining I'd probably have taken the cover off to get a better look..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode