A few questions - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 2nd August 2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

A few questions

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase my first A5, very excited. There is a choice between a couple of cars i'm looking at. One is an S-line Cabriolet, the other a Black Edition coupe. Both 3.0L TDI 245bhp S-Tronic. Having taken a look at the HPI sheets for both and seen the original spec and price etc, i'm a little confused and wonder if anyone can help me? Some questions below.

- On the Cabriolet, it vaguely listed "Audio Package" at 600 - Does this mean it's definitely B&O?

- What is the difference between Tech Package & Tech Package high? the Cabriolet has the latter.

- I noticed the Cabriolet weighs in a good 200kg heavier!....Can anyone who's driven both comment on whether there was a notable difference in performance between the Cab and the Coupe? I can see the 0-60mph is .5 second slower, but i'm more interested in how it feels compared to figures

- The upgrade list on the Black Edition Coupe was much smaller than the Cabriolet, Is it safe to assume that this is because most of the upgrades are inclusive when it's a Black Edition?

- Finally, the new price for the Cabriolet was 46,000 (inc 4k odd of upgrades) The Black Edition Coupe new price was 42,500 (inc 2,500 of upgrades) This seemed to odd to me, I was
under the impression Black Edition would of commanded a higher price, Is it simply that the Cab was just more expensive new?

Thanks so much.

Parma

Last edited by Parmageddon; 2nd August 2016 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 2nd August 2016, 11:56 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)

Garage
I can't answer your spec questions - option levels on UK cars are a higher level of complexity than Oz-delivered cars.
On the difference in performance at the "feel" level, my experience is that the cab certainly feels like it's working a bit harder, and I did notice the weight difference. Even so, a step up from my old 328i convertible in overall rigidity, but still had the odd bit of scuttle shake. On the basis of all that, I decided I'd had my time in a convertible, and opted for the coupe. But, fair warning - this was all based on test drives - so I shan't pretend that this is in any way the final word on the matter.
Cabs are generally more expensive, new or secondhand, because of all the extra engineering and materials that go into their production. Additional chassis stiffening, smaller (and therefore more expensive) production runs of unique components, and the roof itself, all add cost like a bastard!

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #3 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Great feedback, thanks.

Its a tough one to decide on. I've test driven the Cab, compared to my A3 2.0TDI 170 it was ofcourse quicker, but not as much as i'd expected to feel. I assume its all that weight soaking up what torque I feel. 200kg is a lot, I weigh around 80kg, if I had two and a half of me in the back of most cars i guess it would feel much slower.

Performance-wise, I think you're bang on, im going to have to find a local coupe instead of my original one in that case, the original is 200miles away.

Looks-wise is where it's a tough one, I like the look of the cab, but not a fan of the wheels, not sure of their code name but they look very similar to the Rs6 ones, I suppose they'd look much better in black, but not a patch on the Rotors imho. I wonder if anyone would want to swap? (dreaming, ha)

post #4 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

These are the ones on the cab, this isn't the actual car. Having a quick search on eBay, the alloys do look like they sell well. I wonder if I could purchase some genuine 2nd hand rotors in great condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	124810  

Last edited by Parmageddon; 3rd August 2016 at 12:24 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmageddon View Post
These are the ones on the cab, this isn't the actual car. Having a quick search on eBay, the alloys do look like they sell well. I wonder if I could purchase some genuine 2nd hand rotors in great condition.
Peelers. Welcome by the way.

His 2015 A5 Sportback 3.0, quattro Black Edition Plus. Ibis, Assist Pack, Convenience Pack, Birch Inlays, Heat F+R seats, Storage Pack, Park Advanced, Tel Prep High, Adaptive Lights, Sunroof, Int. Light Pack.
Hers: 2014 A5 Cabriolet 3.0, quattro S-line Special Edition. 20" RS alloys, Heat F+R seats, Park Plus, Int. Light Pack, Piano Black Inlays.
post #6 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, they certainly seem popular.... not a fan personally!
post #7 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Update: Driven the coupe today, no brainer for me, the difference in handling power/weight was completely apparent.

thanks for all your help, I will be happily joining you as A5 owners in the coming days.

Parma
post #8 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
LOL. What's wrong with the 19-inch factory wheels guys?
I like them. Not saying there aren't better looking wheels out there, but still the factory ones are quite good looking.

2013 Audi S5 Phantom Black
post #9 of 20 Old 3rd August 2016, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Update: Driven the coupe today, no brainer for me, the difference in handling power/weight was completely apparent.

thanks for all your help, I will be happily joining you as A5 owners in the coming days.

Parma

Result! Great stuff, Parma. Looking forward to seeing your new beast.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #10 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex100 View Post
LOL. What's wrong with the 19-inch factory wheels guys?
I like them. Not saying there aren't better looking wheels out there, but still the factory ones are quite good looking.

Nothing wrong with them, i dont hate them, just personal preference. A friend of mine has 20" forged versions of them on his Sepang Blue TT-RS and it looks incredible. BUT imho, it would look EVEN better with 20" Rotors....
post #11 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
Result! Great stuff, Parma. Looking forward to seeing your new beast.
Cheers mate - i'll certainly be taking plenty of snaps this weekend, i'll be sure to share.

thanks again for all your guys help.

Parma
post #12 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Garage
Interesting debate re cab and coupe. I have a coupe and here in Italy where it gets very 'ot indeed then the cab could seem a good buy. But well not really, cos the irony is that while in spring and autumn it is great, as soon as things get hot then you have to keep it closed and fire up the aircon........so you may as well have the coupe cos the security aspect plus lower weight etc etc all play in your favour. I had an A4 cab for a couple of months and while it was fun and quite lively (2.0 FSI 200 horses) it felt really heavy so had to be revved hard. I prefer my 265 horse coupe (3.2FSI) cos its a lazy beast but will fly if revved......

2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" rotor wheels with Pirelli P-Zeros.
159,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, rear badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster.
post #13 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)

yep. 200kg heavier, probably less aerodynamic with the roof down, so the cab will be slower and use more fuel. And as good as it is compared to others yes it can be a bit floppy in extreme circumstances. And as simon says (that might be a good game....) they are actually rubbish top down when it gets really hot and sunny. or if its raining.

but that's not the point is it...when everything is right its a sublime experience driving roofless..... and thank goodness its not all about practicality or we would all be in avensis's..........................

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #14 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)

What are the details on your new Coupe?
Did you find one with 19" rotors in the end?

Looking forward to seeing it!

Current - BMW 'F10' 530d M Sport - Carbon Black - Oyster Leather - Media Pack - ACC Pack - M Sport 'Plus' Pack - H/K Surround - Adaptive Headlights - High Beam Assist - M Rear Spoiler - M Performance Grills - Digital Instrument Cluster

Gone - Audi S5 SB - 3.0T - Misano Red - All Black Interior - Tech Pack High - Assistance Pack - Sound Pack - ADS/DamperControl/Sports Diff - BlackEd Touches - Storage Pack - Light Pack - RS5 20" Rotors
post #15 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Interesting debate re cab and coupe. I have a coupe and here in Italy where it gets very 'ot indeed then the cab could seem a good buy. But well not really, cos the irony is that while in spring and autumn it is great, as soon as things get hot then you have to keep it closed and fire up the aircon........so you may as well have the coupe cos the security aspect plus lower weight etc etc all play in your favour. I had an A4 cab for a couple of months and while it was fun and quite lively (2.0 FSI 200 horses) it felt really heavy so had to be revved hard. I prefer my 265 horse coupe (3.2FSI) cos its a lazy beast but will fly if revved......

That's exactly it. I've got other cars that I use for pleasure/track/faster road use, so initially I went into this purchase thinking more about aesthetics and novelty instead of performance. This is going to be my work commute car after all. But having driven both I felt the gap was just too big regarding the response and haul when in gear. Basically I learned that It's easier said than done to disregard performance in any car I buy. Both were lovely in the end and it just came down to a close decision between pros and cons for both. The coupe edged it over-all.
post #16 of 20 Old 4th August 2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChapman View Post
What are the details on your new Coupe?
Did you find one with 19" rotors in the end?

Looking forward to seeing it!
I did mate yeah, Its an S-Line Black Edition Quattro 3.0L TDI Coupe, 2door, S-Tronic, fully loaded in ibis white (though I might have it wrapped to Sepang Blue) HDD Satnav, B&O, Reverse cam, front and rear sensors too, cruise control, heated seats 1 owner, 19,000miles. Very excited!

Last edited by Parmageddon; 4th August 2016 at 06:56 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 6th August 2016, 10:01 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
yep. 200kg heavier, probably less aerodynamic with the roof down, so the cab will be slower and use more fuel. And as good as it is compared to others yes it can be a bit floppy in extreme circumstances. And as simon says (that might be a good game....) they are actually rubbish top down when it gets really hot and sunny. or if its raining.

but that's not the point is it...when everything is right its a sublime experience driving roofless..... and thank goodness its not all about practicality or we would all be in avensis's..........................
So am I flattered to be er quoted or mentioned by Rackingham???? Yesssss not arf!!! Thanks.

And although I loved the few times I managed to get the family into the A4 cab it was REALLY squeezed in the back and the boot space with the hood down was er minimal......enjoy your new motor!!!

2008 A5 coupe.
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, rear badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster.
post #18 of 20 Old 12th August 2016, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
So am I flattered to be er quoted or mentioned by Rackingham???? Yesssss not arf!!! Thanks.

And although I loved the few times I managed to get the family into the A4 cab it was REALLY squeezed in the back and the boot space with the hood down was er minimal......enjoy your new motor!!!
It's now mine, gonna post some pics in a separate new owners thread if there is one? :-)
post #19 of 20 Old 14th August 2016, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
It's now mine, gonna post some pics in a separate new owners thread if there is one? :-)
Lovely well done!!!!! You can post some pics here I think????? Let me try....

2008 A5 coupe.

Last edited by SimonRoma; 14th August 2016 at 03:24 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 15th August 2016, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey guys my 2011 S5 just starting to over heat 70k on it when I turn on AC on Auto ! Check it today without AC ON temp seam to stay at 1/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode