How to redirect headlight beams? - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Regional A5 Clubs, Meets, and Discussions > UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2010, 03:54 PM   #1

MeteorSilver is on a distinguished road
Default How to redirect headlight beams?

I'm driving to France soon and have no idea how to redirect the headlight beam for driving on the right? I have the Xenons with Adaptive Light. Can't be stick on deflectors?...

Thanks.

Delivered Aug 07.
A5 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport. Meteor Grey. Star Silver sports seats. Adaptive lights. B+O. UK Comfort pack. Aluminium hologram inlays. Cruise. Interior lighting pack. Bluetooth phone prep.

Added (by APS): Milltek exhaust. VAGCOM bits by REB_A5.
MeteorSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 29th March 2010, 02:23 AM   #2

JockTheRock is on a distinguished road

Before my first software update I had an option in the MMI to do this. Since the software update the option has vanished.

The Missus' 2008 A5 also had this option which disappeared after it went in for an oil change. Her current 2009 A5 has never had this option.

Do the sticky things not work with xenon headlights?

Previous: 1.8T Sport - 2008 - Ice Silver / 10" Bass Tube / Bling Pack / Blue Neon Under Glows / 2 x PS2 / 19" Spinners / 42" Plasma GONE
Previous: 3.0 TDI Sport - 2009 - Topaz Blue / Nav / Cruise / Hill Hold / Y-Spoke / Light Pack / Bluetooth / DAB / Heated Seats GONE
Current: 2013 Merc SL350
For the Winter: 2012 RR Sport HSE
For the Wife: Merc CLA 45
For the Weekend: 2002 Ferrari 360 F1
In the Hangar: Piper PA32R-301T
In the Water: Sealine S34
JockTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 02:48 AM   #3

Chris_B is on a distinguished road

Stick on deflectors do not work with Xenons.

On older Audis with Xenon lights, there used to be a lever at the back of the headlamp unit that moved a little shutter to clip the "kick up" on the nearside, so that it didn't dazzle drivers when on the other side of the road.

Newer cars have an electronically-controlled shutter. This is why the "Tourist mode" was added to MMI. No idea why Audi are removing it again now - safety reasons?

VCDS might be able to put it back?

Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 03:29 AM   #4

TJM_A5 is on a distinguished road
Default Mmi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorSilver View Post
I'm driving to France soon and have no idea how to redirect the headlight beam for driving on the right? I have the Xenons with Adaptive Light. Can't be stick on deflectors?...

Thanks.
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you checked in the "car" settings on your MMI? It's a simple selection on my 09 '58 3.0TDi....
TJM_A5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 05:02 AM   #5

57PDH is on a distinguished road
Default Touring Mode greyed out

On my April 2009 car the touring mode is greyed out and cannot be selected.

Regards 57PDH

2.0 Tdi Quattro S-Line ¦ SOLD
57PDH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Banned

ManoftheMoment is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57PDH View Post
On my April 2009 car the touring mode is greyed out and cannot be selected.
You can only do it when the car isn't moving I believe!
ManoftheMoment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Super Moderator

zee007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
VCDS might be able to put it back?
Yep - it sure can...

- Zee

MY2013 Allroad | Midnight Blue | Sport Interior | S-Line Suspension | Recaro Babyseats | Rotiform | Eurocode | Stasis | H&R | AFE | OEM+ | Tint
[/COLOR]
Retired: MY2010 S5 | Sprint Blue | Alcantara | Black Optic | B&O | BBS | Eibach | Stasis | B&B | H&R | PIAA | E-codes | OEM mods | Tint

Been there, Done that: Silverstone F1 circuit, Spa Francorchamps, Magny Cours, Donnington Park, Virgina International Raceway and the mighty Nürburgring
zee007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th March 2010, 09:37 AM   #8

Thanks all for your comments.

I don't think I've ever had a Touring setting in the MMI. Here's what the External Lights menu looks like. Mine is a July 07 build so it will be primitive A5.

The owner's manual is interesting. p205 "Driving abroad - xenon bulbs... settings must be changed. For safety reasons, the dip settings may only be changed by a qualified workshop. Consult an Audi dealer."

I'll consult my dealer and let you know.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0788.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	7152  

Delivered Aug 07.
A5 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport. Meteor Grey. Star Silver sports seats. Adaptive lights. B+O. UK Comfort pack. Aluminium hologram inlays. Cruise. Interior lighting pack. Bluetooth phone prep.

Old 30th March 2010, 11:47 PM   #9

57PDH is on a distinguished road
Smile headlamp converter

OK, with engine off and ignition on then in exterior lighting I get the option of Headlamp Converter - on / off.

Did not try it but my assumption is that this is my option for touring in Europe.

Regards 57PDH

2.0 Tdi Quattro S-Line ¦ SOLD
57PDH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
OK, with engine off and ignition on then in exterior lighting I get the option of Headlamp Converter - on / off.

Did not try it but my assumption is that this is my option for touring in Europe.
I think that is the touring option. Just checked again on mine, and I don't have the Headlamp Converter option.

My Audi dealer confirmed it's £65 and a half hour job for them to redirect the beam - and FOC but another half hour to switch it back.

Add this hassle and the fact that A5s like mine that were built in 2007 can't take roof bars (go figure!), then I'm working up my excuse for that new S5...

Delivered Aug 07.

Old 4th April 2010, 05:10 AM   #11

REload is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Your assumption is correct, it 'flattens' the kick on the Xenon beams so you don't dazzle oncoming drivers, with the caveat that it does reduce the headlamp range (this comes up on DIS every time you turn the ignition on).

@meteorsilver £65!!! What a con for a standard setting on later models, not sure if there's a VAG-COM solution to this - others are more knowledgeable than I.

A5 Cabriolet 2.0TFSi (211ps) S-Line Phantom Black w/black hood, Leather & Alcantara seats w/silver stitching, Tech pack (HDD Satnav, AMI, cruise control), B+O, Bluetooth, Auto dimming / Electrically folding mirrors, 19'' 5-spoke alloys, Advanced key, CD multichanger, Interior lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor, de-badged. Collection 05 March 2010
REload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th April 2010, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REload View Post
... not sure if there's a VAG-COM solution to this -
Good call, thanks. I'll look into that.

Delivered Aug 07.

Old 4th April 2010, 04:05 PM   #13

shmee150 is on a distinguished road

I thought I had read that the newer cars did have something for this?

I take my car to Europe about 5-6 times a year or more, so certainly hope to have some simple solution... VAG-Com it might have to be I guess.

Tim

S5 Cabriolet | 01.05.2010 - 20.11.2010

Sepang Blue | Spectral Silver | S-Tronic | 20" 7 Arm Double-Spoke Alloy Wheels | Tech Pack | B&O | Advanced Key
Convenience Pack | Bluetooth Interface | Heated Front Seats | Adaptive Lights | High-Beam Assist | Hill-Hold Assist
Parking System Advanced | Tyre Pressure Monitor | Drive Select | Sports Diff | Damping Control

Replaced with: Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster | Now: Audi R8 V10 Spyder
shmee150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th April 2010, 12:08 AM   #14

REload is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmee150 View Post
I thought I had read that the newer cars did have something for this?

I take my car to Europe about 5-6 times a year or more, so certainly hope to have some simple solution... VAG-Com it might have to be I guess.

Tim
You will be fine with a 2010 car, should have the headlight converter option in MMI the same as mine does, the option seems like it wasn't there in older models like MeteorSilvers

A5 Cabriolet 2.0TFSi (211ps) S-Line Phantom Black w/black hood, Leather & Alcantara seats w/silver stitching, Tech pack (HDD Satnav, AMI, cruise control), B+O, Bluetooth, Auto dimming / Electrically folding mirrors, 19'' 5-spoke alloys, Advanced key, CD multichanger, Interior lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor, de-badged. Collection 05 March 2010
REload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th April 2010, 09:57 AM   #15

leSHARKYtect is on a distinguished road

I did 22k in my S5 last year and most of it in france with the headlights on 'tourist' mode - very scary as the range lighting doesnt work and you cant see far so drove with front fogs on most of the time so you can see the road - dissapointing. Will consider getting the VAG lead so i dont have to pay Audi eash time I come or go to france.
leSHARKYtect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 8th May 2010, 01:59 PM   #16
SBJ

SBJ is on a distinguished road

I've got 'an original' A5 (July 07) and didn't have the Headlight Convertor option either. However my dealer connected the car up and downloaded new adaptation to display the menu option - FOC.

A year later after having new MMI software upgraded, I lost the menu option. But, VDCS (Vagcom) can reenable the menu option.

Enable Touring Mode - Coding helper of VCDS, it is in long coding of 09-Central Electric, Byte 4, bit 6

Regards
Simon

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport [sold]

Last edited by SBJ; 8th May 2010 at 02:33 PM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 9th May 2010, 03:40 PM   #17

Simon,

Thanks for the info. I haven't done anything about it yet, but now I'll push it knowing there is a VAGCOM fix.

J

Delivered Aug 07.

Old 11th May 2010, 05:16 AM   #18

shmee150 is on a distinguished road

Let me just clarify this, in a UK car, what happens is that with the menu option you can lower the left headlight to the same height at the right one usually is, but the right one does not get raised?

My car will be testing out the roads of France/Belgium/Netherlands/Germany from the early hours tomorrow so need to remember to change this!

S5 Cabriolet | 01.05.2010 - 20.11.2010

Sepang Blue | Spectral Silver | S-Tronic | 20" 7 Arm Double-Spoke Alloy Wheels | Tech Pack | B&O | Advanced Key
Convenience Pack | Bluetooth Interface | Heated Front Seats | Adaptive Lights | High-Beam Assist | Hill-Hold Assist
Parking System Advanced | Tyre Pressure Monitor | Drive Select | Sports Diff | Damping Control

Replaced with: Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster | Now: Audi R8 V10 Spyder
shmee150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26th May 2010, 12:40 PM   #19

hilly10 is on a distinguished road

My cars an 08 always had the Headlight Converter even after oil change and service. Works fine never had anyone in France flash me for dazzaling

Audi A5 2.7 TDI Phantom Black, Grey Leather B&O upgrade with SD Card slot Silver Astravan sportive new shape fully loaded and remapped to 140bhp
hilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26th May 2010, 11:43 PM   #20

metalhawk is on a distinguished road

65?? The cost of that is a reason alone to buy a VAG-COM!! and half hour job.. what a huge lie, all they have to do is change the setting electronically with the hidden option and then leave the car in a corner for 27 minutes to justify the cost

----------------------------------------------

A5 2.0 TFSI quattro Manual S-Line Special Edition White Y-Spoke Valcona Drive Select B&O Piano Black Interior Light Package Bluetooth
metalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th May 2010, 01:45 AM   #21
Super Moderator

REB_A5 is on a distinguished road

MeteorSilver,

If you want any VCDS mods doing (i.e. Touring Menu option under lights), I'll undercut your dealer and do it for £50

Seriously though, let me know if you want it doing. I'm available any time that suits you (except this weekend and 12-28 June).

REB

Current: S3 Sportback S-Tronic in Sepang Blue (MY 2015)
Gone: A5 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line Sportback (MY 2011)

REB_A5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.