LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 19th April 2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
Nurburgring - New 2018 S5 Sportback

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to head to Ingolstadt to pick up my new 2018 S5 Sportback at the end of May. While doing my 2 week Euro Delivery, I am going to participate in a 2 day track event at the Nurburgring. I am a little concerned about brakes while there (I know I will reduce the half life of my tires, but what the heck). I have read that there is an upgraded 6 piston front brake, but I have no idea what the pads are like. Does anyone have the new S5 already and can confirm what is in there?

I have been considering getting new pads, steel brake lines, and high temp fluid and doing a quick change while in Nurburg. During the track day, we don't have to go bridge to gantry, but can use the entire course repetitively. I really don't want to burn up the brakes, or risk losing stopping power if I don't have to.

I'd really appreciate any insight on that. In addition to brakes, are there any other suggestions of easy/quick mods that can be done on this car to set it up well for a track event? Air filter, etc.? No time for an ECU map, and I may hold off for that until the warranty runs anyway. But - I am buying new and doing this trip in Europe so I can drive the car the way it's meant to be driven. I won't get many opportunities when I have it back home. The closest I will get is Autocross events back home. I really want to take advantage of the Autobahn and Nurburgring.

Thanks for any input! -MrSkimo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 19th April 2017, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

The Nurburgring is different from most tracks. There's long periods where the brakes aren't used much which gives them recovery time. The first 5 miles of the lap are harder on the brakes.

Standard discs / pads will not last long. The S5 is a big heavy thing.

Is it a closed track event or a tourist session ?

2009 A5 3.2
post #3 of 10 Old 19th April 2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1009 View Post
The Nurburgring is different from most tracks. There's long periods where the brakes aren't used much which gives them recovery time. The first 5 miles of the lap are harder on the brakes.

Standard discs / pads will not last long. The S5 is a big heavy thing.

Is it a closed track event or a tourist session ?

It is a closed track event for two days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 19th April 2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trust me, I have been planning, studying, and dreaming about the Nurburgring for nearly a decade. I've been planning a purchase and drive in my own car for about 6 years. Depending on the pad material, I figured I could do a few laps at a time with a long cool off period. I would much rather get proper brakes, and still take it a bit easy. I'm not planning to ball up my new motor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 20th April 2017, 01:43 AM

I've done about 120 laps.

If you plan to drive at 6-7/10ths, your standard brakes will be fine
MrSkimo likes this.

2009 A5 3.2
post #6 of 10 Old 25th April 2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi all,

As the new 2018 S5's have hit the street in the US, my dealer was able to come through and provide some information on the 2018 S5 Coupe and Sportback brake system! The below information is from Audi Parts, and the part numbers are the Audi/VW part numbers.

Quote:
In terms of swapping pads you need to be extremely careful in checking to make sure that there isnít any real wear on the brake rotors. The way that our brakes work is the pads and rotors both wear at different rates. If there is any wear on the rotors prior to swapping out brake pads, and/or there are any types of grooves or lines in the rotors, you want to make sure that you still have good pad to rotor contact for stopping capabilities before taking the car out on the track after replacing the pads.

For the brake lines they are usually as follows: metal from MASTER CYLINDER>ABS MODULE, metal from ABS MODULE>BRACKET, then rubber from BRACKET>CALIPER. Steel braided lines shouldnít be an issue (depending where you put them) and is a common upgrade in car modification. The part number for the lines will be below. I would check with the manufacturer to make sure that everything checks out prior to installing the brake lines.

Hereís the breakdown for the front brakes:
6-piston front calipers
Akebono pads and rotors (Edit from MrSkimo - I researched this and found that the OE Manufacturer for the pads is in fact Textar. These brakes were most recently used in the Q7 (4M) according to Textar brakebook.com - 2586101_402)
Part numbers:
Rotor: 4M0615601AN
Pads: 8W0698151N
Size of rotors: 350x34mm

Rear Brakes:
Single piston calipers
Girling pads and rotors
Part numbers:
Rotor: 8W0615601E
Pads: 8W0698451K These too are Textar pads, used in Q7 and A4 and A4 Allroad
Size of rotors: 330x22mm

Brake Lines:
MASTER CYLINDER>BRAKE BOOSTER:
8W1614705AM
8W1615706R
8W0614723P
8W0615724P
8W0614725P (specific to Sportback)
8W0614726P (specific to Sportback)
8W0611775C (rubber flexible brake hoses x2 for rear)
8W0611707D (flexible brake hose for front)
8W0611708D (flexible brake hose for front)

Both the front and rear rotors have a 5x112 bolt pattern and whatever upgraded brakes the client decides to go with will need to use the same. With regards to the compounds I donít know that information and it isnít available to me.
I spoke with someone at Akebono who told me these pads were manufactured by Textar in Germany. I haven't been able to make contact with anyone at Textar yet to confirm the compound, but I am going to operate on the assumption that they are consumer grade and I will need an upgrade for the track. I'm talking to some aftermarket companies to see if I can get replacements to fit.
post #7 of 10 Old 25th April 2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Following advice from @mb1009 - I will definitely not be thrashing on my car, but I may not be able to keep it to 60-70%. Will certainly start that way and see how things feel.

We have no tracks at all near my home in Alaska, so this trip (including the track event and the Autobahn) will likely be my sole opportunity to drive the car to even a portion of its capability. I'm doing what I can to upgrade the brake pads/lines/fluid, but I just got a solicitation for tires. The event is going to have a tire manufacturer present to change out tires, but we must pre-order. I wasn't really planning on going through an entire set of tires in two days. Is this an unreasonable assumption? Should I be ordering a set of tires?

I don't believe that I can ship anything back in my car, so if I buy extra tires for the event - I will be leaving them there. Thoughts?
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 01:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

Garage
Hiya and have fun. I confirm that track days are very very hard on tyres so one spare set is a good idea yes, maybe you fit them AFTER the event for a safe drive home. Sure you cannot take a set with you but as you say, so what the heck, you must make the most of your time!!! I reckon that over 2 days even at 6 or 7 or 8 tenths you are very likely to ruin a set of tyres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
160,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of Brembo discs and pads and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 07:28 AM

The most laps I did in a day was about 6-8. 2 days would be 15 laps at 13 miles per lap.

I'd order a set of tyres and change them after your last lap on the 2nd day.

If it's a closed session, at least you won't have to contend with bikes & buses

2009 A5 3.2
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Hiya and have fun. I confirm that track days are very very hard on tyres so one spare set is a good idea yes, maybe you fit them AFTER the event for a safe drive home. Sure you cannot take a set with you but as you say, so what the heck, you must make the most of your time!!! I reckon that over 2 days even at 6 or 7 or 8 tenths you are very likely to ruin a set of tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1009 View Post
The most laps I did in a day was about 6-8. 2 days would be 15 laps at 13 miles per lap.

I'd order a set of tyres and change them after your last lap on the 2nd day.

If it's a closed session, at least you won't have to contend with bikes & buses
Thanks to both of you! Presuming I follow your advice and buy new tyres, what do you recommend with the following scenario? The event tyre sponsor is Michelin and I don't think that those are OEM. All I know is that the size is 255/35 R 19, I suspect that they are Continentals. Should I use up the OEM and then switch to a Michelin tyre - if so, which one. Or - should I use up the new Michelins and switch back to the OEM?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode