Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Muffler Delete on stock S5 4.2

23K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Willthomas11 
#1 · (Edited)
Like I said in the other thread, I wanted an exhaust, but not 2-grand worth. I called a local custom shop and they said they could design something for me for a lot less. I show up and the front counter guy is talking to me about the one-size-fits-all Magnaflo and Flowmaster stuff they have hanging on the wall, and I'm like oh, God, what a waste of time!

He says his exhaust guy can give me all my options after he puts it on the lift and has a look-see at what I got. Good.

So, I tell the guy I still want to hear music when I'm cruising down the hwy, loud but not race track obnoxious, etc. (I'm 50 after all, with a wife who thinks I'm ridiculous - she's right of course but that's another story!) I describe the AWE Track and Touring and BB Sport, because he says they can look at a picture and copy the design. I want clean, simple, and on a budget. He suggests cutting off the muffler and installing some tips, saying there's three stages of resonators ahead of it and it won't be loud inside. $410 US out the door. OK, see you in three hours!

Here are some pictures. I made a video on my phone, but it's wrong. I think the iPhone must have some background noise cancelling algorithm that's attenuating the exhaust sound. It's louder than the video suggests!

First one is some accelerating while running erands around town, second is 50-55 mph in 6th. Some drone, but silence when accelerator is held steady.

http://youtu.be/YyIrv1CXI64

http://youtu.be/sNgfi0KjZiY

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Much improved over stock and a lot less expensive. I am currently looking into options myself for my S5. Thanks for posting the vids!

#8 ·
If you only paid 410 usd out the door and are happy with thw sound you scored BIG TIME! Looks great

#14 ·
Oh, just to give you an Idea of the sound - I cruised next to a Harley today, couldnt hear his bike......raced a Corvette with an exhaust today...couldnt hear him when I got over 4.5k RPM - the only thing I've encountered in my two days of having straight pipes was a 18 wheeler, and he even blocked off the road to give me a lane to shoot down :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXI8ovFEQ_g

Identical sound of my car at the moment.

#15 ·
S5 exhaust

Have any of you tried deleting the first muffler/resonator and installing two of the resonated or non resonated down-pipes from AWE or Miltek and leaving the stock back mufflers? I love the AWE and Miltek systems, but don't really look forward to spending 2k on an exhaust.

Any thoughts?

#17 ·
I was thinking of a Milltek system which I guess is also much lighter than a standard Audi system.

#18 ·
Like I said in the other thread, I wanted an exhaust, but not 2-grand worth. I called a local custom shop and they said they could design something for me for a lot less. I show up and the front counter guy is talking to me about the one-size-fits-all Magnaflo and Flowmaster stuff they have hanging on the wall, and I'm like oh, God, what a waste of time!

He says his exhaust guy can give me all my options after he puts it on the lift and has a look-see at what I got. Good.

So, I tell the guy I still want to hear music when I'm cruising down the hwy, loud but not race track obnoxious, etc. (I'm 50 after all, with a wife who thinks I'm ridiculous - she's right of course but that's another story!) I describe the AWE Track and Touring and BB Sport, because he says they can look at a picture and copy the design. I want clean, simple, and on a budget. He suggests cutting off the muffler and installing some tips, saying there's three stages of resonators ahead of it and it won't be loud inside. $410 US out the door. OK, see you in three hours!

Here are some pictures. I made a video on my phone, but it's wrong. I think the iPhone must have some background noise cancelling algorithm that's attenuating the exhaust sound. It's louder than the video suggests!

First one is some accelerating while running erands around town, second is 50-55 mph in 6th. Some drone, but silence when accelerator is held steady.

Hey did you have limp mode after my car went limp after and I never had lights or problems before hand 2012 Audi s5 4.2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.