• 1 Post By almostS50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 16th February 2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2010 4.2L S5 Upgrades

Hey gents,

This is my first post here so I hope I can get a bit of help. I am looking to do some upgrades come spring time here in Canada. Not exactly sure what I want to do to my S5 but eventually I'd like to find a Stage 3 APR kit for it that they unfortunately do not make anymore. So either, if someone is selling their stage 3, let me know, otherwise, what would be a good direction to work towards without having to waste money on shit I don't need.

I was thinking Ecu and exhaust but thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh... She's also black on red and stick :-) My dream car. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 16th February 2017, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)

Garage
Wouldn't bother with ECU....exhaust if you want better note.

Supercharger will make it an awesome machine. AlmostS50 is your man for advice and experience on tuning these beasties.

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #3 of 23 Old 16th February 2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man! I'll be sure to message him!

post #4 of 23 Old 16th February 2017, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Garage
Ok, here's as much as I know about this car. The first thing you must determine is what you want to do with this car----track, show, show off, or just drive, I'm not sure you might know the answer right now but it helps to formulate a direction and save you from repeating expensive steps. First thing this car desperately needs is suspension. It is where you'll get the most for your money. I can direct you to better set ups but its a long conversation better done on a phone. Next is power---power for your engine, 4.2? Is only done one way! Blower forget tuning its huge waste of money, how do I know - I wasted it! If its blower Apr or TTS or JHM
I personally have an APR and love it. JHM has a rep of an aggressive tune which can be good and bad. TTS I have no knowledge of but they have been an aftermarket player for a long time. Next exhaust, AWE, Miltek(mine) Akrapovic are some of the best and produce the nicest sound although I'm hearing great things about amytrix then come brakes. Forget the rotors they are benign. Calipers, pads lines and fluid is what you will need to concern yourself with. Stop tech calipers best stopping for the cheapest, Brembo but you'll pay same with alcon and wilwood but they are great and good looking. Next pads I personally only use carbotech. I track so pads are most important to me. If you're across the pond wankers over there swear by EBC but you will most certainly wad your car up one day and die if you depend on EBC so don't do it. EBC =Every Body Crashes. Hawk makes a good pad or Pagid but for my $$$$$ carbotech is unmatched. Fluid use castorol SRF or Motul 660 nothing else and change and bleed regularly . Then install Stainless steel lines and Bob is your uncle. If you need more help and I haven't scared you you can PM me and I'll give you my cell and then I can certainly tell you more. Hope that helps check out my FB or web page http://www.rudmotorsports.com or fb rudmotorsports to see my car in action

regards
Scott
LimeyYankee likes this.

2008 coupe manual, H&R sway bars front and rear-custom eurocode endlink fornt spherical bushing rear,Miltek sport non-resonated exhaust with downpipes, RS5 grill,stratmosphere short shifter, Stoptech 380 bbk carbotech xp12 front rear, Olins track coilovers,APR supercharger Apr cold air intake, TTRS flat bottomed steering wheel, custom separate reservoir clutch fluid, BBS chr wheel with advan neovas, RS5 oval tailpipes, Recaro CS seats with Schroth racing harness, K40 radar front rear
post #5 of 23 Old 16th February 2017, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

+a whole helluva lot for Scott (almostS50) and his advice.

My experience mirrors his. We both track our S5s (a lot), though Scott has taken his S5 to levels way beyond mine in the mods category.
almostS50 likes this.

2010 S5, Brilliant Red, 6MT, Sport Rr Diff, H&R OE Sport Springs, Eurocode Tuning Fr/Rr sway bars, Eurocode Tuning Adjustable End Links, Eurocode Tuning Alu Kreuz, VCDS customizations, AWE Track Exhaust with Resonated DPs, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19 on 19x9.5 ET +32 wheels
post #6 of 23 Old 18th February 2017, 07:39 AM

Garage
Thanks smokey, unfortunately this forum has changed from drivers to guys who only are interested in the led lights in their footwells. We are a dying breed!
angel700 likes this.

2008 coupe manual, H&R sway bars front and rear-custom eurocode endlink fornt spherical bushing rear,Miltek sport non-resonated exhaust with downpipes, RS5 grill,stratmosphere short shifter, Stoptech 380 bbk carbotech xp12 front rear, Olins track coilovers,APR supercharger Apr cold air intake, TTRS flat bottomed steering wheel, custom separate reservoir clutch fluid, BBS chr wheel with advan neovas, RS5 oval tailpipes, Recaro CS seats with Schroth racing harness, K40 radar front rear
post #7 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Taken me a few days to get back to you guys here.

So here are my thoughts. As much as I would love to do the suspension, I am sort of stuck with what I have unless you gents have some ideas because I drive my S5 through the snow season here in Ontario Canada. The joy of AWD in the winter <3 Some are mad about this but it was an S5 or a Genesis... And well... I dont need to have that conversation with you guys haha.

I guess I could stiffen the suspension but Ill still get the sway I think if I do that in the tush of the car. Some feedback on this would be appreciated. I dont want to do adjustable coils either so lets dodge that as well.

As for my direction right now is that she is a daily driver. I dont really care to race. I find the people near me tend to be not my type of people anyways so If I was to track it, Id be doing it by myself just to see how she performs. Eventually I plan to strip it down, repaint and completely overhaul the motor. Thats probably the time where Ill be buying a new daily and switching it over to my sunday sleeper kind of deal. I live in a town with a lot of Asian money where every kid has a C63 AMG, Aston Martin, RS7, R8 or a Porsche. Id like to have something that when I hop on it, that people ask what is wrong with my car

As for now, Id like to slowly build into that. Be it if Im slowly buying parts. I have recently contacted APR but apparently they no longer make the Stage 3. Which means Ill have to look for a used one and Im not sure how I feel about that. Your thoughts on this would be great.

I might add here that I rarely drive fast in my car. Corners are fun and acceleration. So if it sounds like I want to street race, that is not the intent. Its more of a, "yep, not this car buddy".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #8 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostS50 View Post
Thanks smokey, unfortunately this forum has changed from drivers to guys who only are interested in the led lights in their footwells. We are a dying breed!
Hey, i track too! It must be a red car thing

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
almostS50 likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)

Garage
If you ask me I'd say get a carbon cleaning and exhaust. But I have lights in my footwells so take it with a grain of salt.

Trammel's 2011 S5 Build
almostS50 and LimeyYankee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Audi S5 4.2L V8 Coupe
EPL Tune, Canyon Run Strut Bar, RS5 Front Grille and Fogs
AWE Touring Exhaust, AWE Carbon Fiber S-Flo
20x10 ET30 Vorsteiner VFF-103, Custom Flat Bottom Wheel
Blue LED Map and Dome, Courtesy, Glove and Trunk
Audi puddle light ghost projectors, JBL 10" subwoofer upgrade
post #10 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Brad I have toyed with upgrading my blower to the bigger one so if its my tvs1320 you want we might have to have a conversation. As for suspension coil overs don't actually mean lower as much as they mean control the rebound rate. You can get mighty stiff and still be the same or close to the oem ride height. And if you don't think a stiffer suspension makes you faster you're dead wrong. A stiffer suspension allows you to do shit other guys will wind up in the weeds with. Sway bars only control body roll which is important but not nearly as important as rebound rate. Now you could bag the car(airbags) but I don't have much experience I just know you can control ride height with the push of a button and some guys love em. if its a sleeper you are after you 'll need to add power otherwise the rich kids are going to blow your doors off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9TFu2vKK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k0Btzy1zFM

If these don't make you damp nothing will!
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #11 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
importfanatic17 where are located?

post #12 of 23 Old 20th February 2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
importfanatic17 where are located?
Sacramento, CA

post #13 of 23 Old 21st February 2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Interesting... Alright. If that is the case, then I guess that would be my first step.
post #14 of 23 Old 21st February 2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Alright Im going to ask this here since we are already on the topic of upgrades. I am having an issue with a low oil light. I have replaced the oil level sensor. That didnt fix the problem. I then heard it might be a good release sensor, went and bought it, ripped apart my front end getting at the sensor which Involved me taking off the actual latch to then find out that the current latch doesnt work with the new sensor.

Have any of you guys encountered this problem or have your heard of anyone who has it? I have audi ordering in a new latch tomorrow but instead of burning around $250 on a latch, is there a fix to it that you gents know of?

Thanks for all the help guys
post #15 of 23 Old 21st February 2017, 11:42 AM

Garage
no idea, sorry

post #16 of 23 Old 22nd February 2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
no idea, sorry
Yeah I just swapped out the latch and switch a minute ago. Problem solved. As much as the fact that a dipstick would be nice, it wouldnt have changed the fact that I have a screaming loud beep every single time I start my car and then a warning that just perpetuates itself on my HUD. -.- Nothing could be more annoying. With that being said, problem solved. I have a love hate relationship with my car.

Just last week my car decided to have a random misfire. I said it had the hiccups. Had one hiccup. Lost power. Stopped. Shut down. Restarted the car. Car drove fine. -.- This S5 likes to troll me I swear.

Anyways, so youre saying I should go with a suspension setup for the car? That should be a number 1? Any suggestions what to go with?
MikeTrammel likes this.
post #17 of 23 Old 22nd February 2017, 03:42 PM

Probably lose some weight off the car (at least that's my goal).

My ideal finished product would essentially look like:
Lightweight wheels
Coilovers
Supercharger
2pc rotors front/rear (bbk if you want)
Full exhaust
Intake
Lightweight crank pulley
Carbon or aluminum driveshaft
Lightweight seats
Full bushing sets
Smaller battery
Remove spare wheel setup

Not necessarily in that order and some would argue the last two negatively impacting weight balance but whatever!

And fwiw, i have kw v2's and have nothing but good things to say about them for what i paid

post #18 of 23 Old 23rd February 2017, 07:35 AM

Garage
importfanatic17, you are forgetting a huge weight savings! removing the back seat. I removed mine and shed almost 100 lbs

post #19 of 23 Old 23rd February 2017, 04:00 PM

Can you post some photos of what that looks like when removed? I've contemplated taking mine out and having a piece fabricated so that it doesn't look crazy obvious that the seat is removed but haven't done anything yet

post #20 of 23 Old 25th February 2017, 11:04 AM

Garage
Car is currently getting some fluids changed for the upcoming season. However what I did was go to home depot and buy some masonite-then cut it to fit the bottom seat profile -then cut a piece to fit the seat back profile. then I glued some black carpet I ordered off ebay to the masonite. with bit of creativity the pieces fit really well and there is no cavernous space. BTW I made it removable so I can take it in and out at the track or for loading all the shit I bring to the track. I'll take some shots and post them next week. It came out really well for the $50 I spent in materials.

post #21 of 23 Old 27th February 2017, 10:58 AM

Garage
here's the best I could manage, not a lot of light but as you can see it does not look like a shit show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4440.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	137098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4439.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	137106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	137114  

post #22 of 23 Old 27th February 2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
here's the best I could manage, not a lot of light but as you can see it does not look like a shit show

Needs more LEDs mate....
almostS50 likes this.

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #23 of 23 Old 27th February 2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
hahahahaha
DrEskimo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode